GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Reasonable radiator repair cost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-15, 02:53 PM
LettuceHat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasonable radiator repair cost?

Hi all, new member here. I went for a check-up before going on a road trip in a couple weeks (being pretty unknowledgeable about cars) and among other things, they recommended a new radiator. They showed me that there were developing stress cracks but that I didn't have to do it ASAP, just sometime in the near future. Probably a good idea before a road trip during the summer they said.

What I'm wondering about is the price for the part(s) mostly. The labor estimate comes out to around $150 which I'm sure makes sense. The cost for the part(s) is around $375. Doing a little research online I've seen OEM radiators for a lot less. I'm curious about why there would be such a huge difference. The quotes prices for the other things that need replacement (control arm bushings, tires) seen totally reasonable so I don't get it.

Adding to my confusion - about year or so ago the mechanic I usually go to (a different place) pointed out a similar problem (cracks, leaking) and he was supposed to have taken care of it. I think he replaced the whole thing, which makes it weirder that I'm already being told this one needs replacing. Anyway that's not the main point of my post but I guess I'll have to take it to that guy again to see what happened. Thanks for any advice on the parts cost!
Old 07-03-15, 03:01 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

you can get Denso at Rockauto cheap. Some use Spectra off Amazon. You can read the reviews.. It very simple to replace. turn a few bolts and undo a few hoses.
Old 07-04-15, 02:40 AM
Category5
Driver

Hey man PM me I have a brand new set of tanks off of a radiator I purchased and true story here.... when I was installing it my hand slipped when I was trying to press in the nuts that need to be transferred (sometimes) onto a new radiator, well my hand slipped and my screw driver went straight through the condenser and it was so bad I said forget it not even going to try repairing this got another one. if your condensor is good well where you have the stress cracks is what I have new. top and bottom tanks.
Old 07-04-15, 02:21 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the junkyard find a use one for the 100 or 150 go to Toyota buy you some red fuild go home diy now you back in the game
Old 07-04-15, 02:34 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Get a denso online for 100 bux , then have a backyard tech of craigs install it for 50bux.
Old 07-04-15, 02:51 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I would defiantly go for the Denso brand as it is the same as OEM. Here is on on ebay for about $84 shipped and like lexout said find a local mechanic who would install it for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-DENSO-221-3121-fits-98-05-Lexus-GS300-/291400433447?fits=Model%3AGS300&hash=item43d8d1bf27&vxp=mtr
Old 07-05-15, 03:30 AM
Category5
Driver

Wow denso for $85 not bad.... Although I've gone through two of them on my car, this new one I got was $140 life time warranty I'll post up the brand... A radiator with life time warranty is unheard of
Old 07-05-15, 09:31 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

have you ever considered doing the swap yourself? its just a radiator. really not that hard

also, what do these "stress cracks" look like? ive heard shops just say some really wacky **** (most recent is that my camber cant be adjusted. fyi, everything on my suspension is adjustable. lol)
Old 07-05-15, 03:14 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stress cracks tend to be where the top hose connects. I've had two 100% separate mechanics tell me that mine needs replacing
Old 07-06-15, 01:47 AM
LettuceHat
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the great replies. Yeah the developing cracks were in the tube like thing going across the top. They pointed them out, I saw them - not actual cracks yet, but lots of little lightning bolt-like lines everywhere. One of the workers said that the hose could disconnect or something. It didn't look loose to me but what do I know.

Like I may have mentioned, my usual mechanic who I trust and is always doing me free favors and giving me advice, looked at the car the other day (unrelated reason) and didn't say anything about it. He's done some work on the radiator before, I think it was rebuilding a hose somewhere. Based on past experience, he'll tell me when ****'s ****ed and leave it up to me to pay or half-*** it.

What I do is occasionally go to this Lexus-specializing (independent) place for inspections and some major things like the ball joint thing when I first bought this car used. Since I am not knowledgable I just want to have more than one opinion, at least to confirm that my main mechanic isn't being weird. He's always been more likely to say something's not a real problem, but when there is a problem he is very blunt. This Lexus/Toyota place has been saying this radiator thing, plus 'new control arm and bushings' since two years ago. I believe they also quoted me an insane price for fixing all the door actuators when I first got it. Wish I had that original inspection document with all the quotes on it. My sense is that they aren't wrong about any of these things but are diagnosing everything but the kitchen sink. Some parts seem reasonable in price (tires for sure) but others like the door lock actuators was something like several hundred each.

Appreciate the advice about doing the work myself but I just don't know anything and don't trust myself! Don't know what I might be missing. I might DIY things like the door locks or... lighting...