GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

CD Changer & Amp not working.. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 11:28 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default CD Changer & Amp not working.. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Hello everyone. Recently my CD changer in my 2001 Lexus GS430 has stopped working. Whenever I tap CD it says on my screen, EXTERNAL SYSTEM IS NOT CONNECTED. It was working fine the day before. Also, the amp in the back has stopped working. It's fairly new as I bought it from Sewell last summer. I checked under the hood for any blown fuses but found everything intact. :/ .... I keep trying to read threads that can try and point me in the right direction but I can't access ANYTHING from this app nor the computer. It's like the server is down on CL.. Please if anyone reads this and might have an idea or hint as to what may be going on with my sound system, please leave a reply. I'd deeply appreciate it from the heart!!! Thank you all and have a great day, #GODBLESS!
Old 06-27-15, 10:00 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Please anyone. If you can give me any advice. I'd deeply appreciate it.
Old 06-28-15, 09:37 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Has this happened to anyone after the CD player was working perfectly fine ???????
Attached Thumbnails CD Changer & Amp not working.. Can anyone give me some pointers?-20150628_123241.jpg  
Old 06-28-15, 12:50 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Have you checked the fuses inside the vehicle? Im not to familiar with the navigation unit but it sounds like it could be related to the navigation DVD player. Here is a thread from the LS430 that sounds similar to your problem. After you check the fuses check the connections on the navigation DVD player in your trunk for any corrosion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...connected.html
Old 06-28-15, 09:13 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you shwalker07. I've read the thread you posted. I'm still not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I have no knowledge of any navigation related wiring in my trunk. Idk if the GS and LS models are that similar. But my amp also stopped working. The rest of the sound system works. Got me kind of frustrated. But I won't panic. I'll keep trying to find the solution. I've checked all the fuses under the hood that have anything to do with radio. But everything seems intact. Idk at this point. But I'll keep searching threads and tryna add up in my mind what's going on. Thank you so much for your input brother! #GODBLESS
Old 06-29-15, 09:29 AM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

In your trunk once you lift up the carpet and in the area where the spare tire is you should see the dvd navigation unit. It should look like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-04-05-LEXUS-GS300-GS400-GS430-GPS-NAVIGATION-DVD-PLAYER-86841-33060-OEM-/161729806561?hash=item25a7d900e1&vxp=mtr
I would double check the connections on this unit. Does your navigation work?

Last edited by shwalker07; 06-29-15 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-29-15, 11:27 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

shwalker07 --- Yes the navigation works my brother. Thank you for that pic. Now I have a better idea of what I'm looking for. It's just the CD disc changer and the whole CD function that's not working. And now the back bass is not working. You know the ML subwoofer. Got me scratching my head. As it was all working fine the day before. I haven't disconnected anything that I know of. I'm thinking at the moment that maybe a crack I have on my windshield may be the cause... Idk.... I have taken road trips under rainy weather.... Can water really travel down the cracks somewhere down into the CD changer area? I don't believe so but I'm not ruling it out. I will check that out right soon as I get home bro. Thank you for input. You've been very helpful.
Attached Thumbnails CD Changer & Amp not working.. Can anyone give me some pointers?-1435602387923.jpg  
Old 07-02-15, 01:13 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shwalker07
Have you checked the fuses inside the vehicle? Im not to familiar with the navigation unit but it sounds like it could be related to the navigation DVD player. Here is a thread from the LS430 that sounds similar to your problem. After you check the fuses check the connections on the navigation DVD player in your trunk for any corrosion.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...connected.html
I know this sounds really silly but where are the fuses INSIDE the car? I tried looking under the steering wheel area and didn't really see anything. Maybe I didn't try hard enough. I checked all the fuses under the hood and all seems right. Ima check the fuses in the car soon as I can find them brother. Been working allot lately but ima get up as early as I can tomorrow and go thru the trunk and check the connection to that part you told me about. See if that helps. I'll disconnect and reconnect it. Inspect the connection tips and what not. Thank you for your help!!
Old 07-03-15, 12:51 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
I know this sounds really silly but where are the fuses INSIDE the car? I tried looking under the steering wheel area and didn't really see anything. Maybe I didn't try hard enough. I checked all the fuses under the hood and all seems right. Ima check the fuses in the car soon as I can find them brother. Been working allot lately but ima get up as early as I can tomorrow and go thru the trunk and check the connection to that part you told me about. See if that helps. I'll disconnect and reconnect it. Inspect the connection tips and what not. Thank you for your help!!
The fuses inside the car are right next to where you rest your left foot and you will see a L shaped cover with a ball **** you pull to take off the cover. You should see a radio No. 2 fuse on the driver side and you might as well check the passenger side fuses as well. Also I dont think that crack should affect anything because I have seen worse ones with no water damage inside the vehicle.
Old 07-03-15, 01:43 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

The fuses inside the car are right next to where you rest your left foot and you will see a L shaped cover with a ball **** you pull to take off the cover. You should see a radio No. 2 fuse on the driver side and you might as well check the passenger side fuses as well. Also I dont think that crack should affect anything because I have seen worse ones with no water damage inside the vehicle.
Thank you bro. I'm off tomorrow I'm going to check it out. The CD changer bothers but my biggest concern is really my bass in the back not working. I hope I can get it to work. If it's not working at all does that necessarily mean it's blown? I purchased it new last summer. I hope it's just a fuse. Ima check it brother. I will keep you updated. Thank you so much for your constant support. #GODBLESS and have a good day my bro!
Old 07-05-15, 05:40 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

I checked the driver side fuses bro. Radio No 2 fuse looks ok. It's not snapped or anything.. Where can I find the passenger side fuses?
Attached Thumbnails CD Changer & Amp not working.. Can anyone give me some pointers?-20150705_203028.jpg  
Old 07-06-15, 12:32 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Okay so I checked the passenger side fuses as well. But found nothing that pertains to the CD function nor the bass subwoofer in the back not working... This little problem has got me real frustrated. Been tryna read many threads but find myself with nothing. I checked in the driver side fuses Radio #2, pulled it out and seem it was still intact.. What does that fuse do anyway? What's Radio #2? Also, if anybody reads this, even if a fuse looks intact, can it still be damaged? Idk where to start. Like my CD function says EXTERNAL SYSTEM NOT CONNECTED every time I click it... And the subwoofer in the back does not work at all. This all has me surprised because it was all working just fine a day before. Please, has anyone in the 2GS community experienced this before? I don't think the subwoofer is bad. I installed it brand new last summer due to the old one being cracked. And the CD changer has never given me a problem in this car in the 4 years I've had it. Idk what fuses does what or where to look for next. If I had the original owner's manual, I'd try reading what every fuse does specifically and try to pin point exactly what's wrong with my sound system. This has me really upset . Anybody with any help is deeply appreciated. Thank you shwalker07 for all your advice. I'm still trying to figure this out. Below is a of pic of the passenger side fuse door handle.
Attached Thumbnails CD Changer & Amp not working.. Can anyone give me some pointers?-20150706_014722.jpg  
Old 07-06-15, 05:05 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Is there any fuses for the subwoofer in the back? How do I know if the amp is blown? Tryna figure this out still. Really wish an OG would chime in and gimme some mind altering advice lol. I'm going crazy tryna figure out what happened to my sound system. shwalker07 gave me great advice. I found the fuse locations thanks to him. But everything looks ok. I'm tryna figure out what fuse pertains to the bass subwoofer in the back. I really don't care too much for my CD changer not working. Yes, it irks me but the bass not working is what really is ticking me off. Dam, I know there has to be somebody in the 2GS community that this has happened to. If the subwoofer is not working AT ALL, what can it be? A fuse? The OEM amp? And if the fuses look good still, can it still be damaged? Also, in the driver side fuses, I checked Radio No. 2 fuse and it looks good. But I'm still tryna figure out exactly what that fuse does. And what is it's purpose. Please, anyone, give me some good suggestions. I'm about to rip my hairs out lol

Last edited by aneidiaz; 07-07-15 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-07-15, 01:50 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Tryna keep this thread alive. Please 2GS community OGs, help a young member out. Read my last post. My subwoofer and CD changer stopped working. I'm going crazy without that bass ..... I tried reading all and any threads in the sticky section but none have to do with my CD changer saying EXTERNAL SYSTEM NOT CONNECTED every time I press the CD button or my subwoofer not pumping out any bass at all. I'll keep checking CL everyday till I find the solution to the problem. Please, anyone help me out.

Last edited by aneidiaz; 07-07-15 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-08-15, 09:53 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

I read on an LS430 thread about someone having a similar problem to mine. With the EXTERNAL SYSTEM NOT CONNECTED and no audio coming from the car. Guy said what fixed the problem for him was disconnecting the positive battery terminal for a little while. I tried it but nothing. Still tryna read my way to a solution.

Quick Reply: CD Changer & Amp not working.. Can anyone give me some pointers?