GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Retrofitting head lights question plz

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 07:13 PM
Category5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofitting head lights question plz

Whats up guys sorry im sure yall that are way into retrofitting this is a far to familiar question but here it goes, I got my Ls430 projectors, and whole new housings but dont want to do the retro without also doing the high beams as well. I dont know much about it as its truly a different language to me, but Ive got ls430's with TSX clear lenses.... (I believe there called lol) but want some projectors that match the look of the ls430's....... I was also looking into the fog light retro's which i'd love to have two projectors like the land cruiser retro but im sure theres better options by now? Anyone point me in the right dirrection? this head light games just a new world to me otherwise im not known for asking such questions I apologize
Old 06-09-15, 08:56 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont think theres something that will match the ls430 shrouds, if anything you can grab the morimoto mini projectors they have great output and they are bixenon.
Old 06-09-15, 10:29 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have LS430 projectors and you want projectors that match the look of the LS430 projectors?
Did you mean shrouds that match the look of the LS projectors?

Edit: Oh now I got it after I read your post for the 20th time.
You want projectors for the inner (high beams) lights that match the look of the LS430 outer projectors?

The projector itself doesn't matter 'cause it's the shrouds that stays visible. I'd go with Morimoto mini projectors and just choose the shrouds based on what looks to be the closest match.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...s/shrouds.html

Last edited by Lutkis; 06-09-15 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 02:50 AM
Category5
Driver

Awesome thank you two very much! Seems your both on the same page as far as which projector to go with impressive!
And Lutkis haha yea my apologies yea what I was trying to say was shrouds that would flow well with the ls430's shrouds for the low beam obviously, so the outter two and inner two, (low beam and high beams) shrouds flow well but awesome!! Thank you very much for that link im really digging the just the plain IRIS shrouds or even the Ocular's... Wish the Oculars were that two tone but rather all chrome but could always be painted right! awesome thanks for the help guys. One more quick question, so if there bixenon, id actually have high beams that themselves, even had high beams as well then huh? Essentially two stages to the high beams? hmmm
Old 06-10-15, 03:52 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

If you put bi-xenons to your high beam housings then you'd have two sets of low beams and one set of high beams.

Edit: I don't know the laws out there but in here that would be illegal (as far as I know).
Old 06-10-15, 07:03 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

You can't have them in Finland? They're legal here in Germany
Old 06-10-15, 02:45 PM
Category5
Driver

Originally Posted by Lutkis
If you put bi-xenons to your high beam housings then you'd have two sets of low beams and one set of high beams.

Edit: I don't know the laws out there but in here that would be illegal (as far as I know).
good to know! Just about everything is illegal here in California/AZ anyhow!
Old 06-10-15, 02:47 PM
Category5
Driver

Northstyle you were big, or are big, into retrofitting huh? thought I saw your name about a million times in all the retro threads I went through hahaha
Old 06-10-15, 10:31 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Category5
Northstyle you were big, or are big, into retrofitting huh? thought I saw your name about a million times in all the retro threads I went through hahaha
LOL Really?? Wouldn't say I'm "big" by any means as there are lot of guys with a lot more experience.

I think it's probably just from the amount of times Lutkis and I have continuously told people to stop putting HID kits in their stock [non-HID] lights and thinking they'll have good output without blinding people in oncoming lanes
Old 06-10-15, 11:17 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
You can't have them in Finland? They're legal here in Germany
I may have confused it with high beams. Well either way both or one of them is illegal here.

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I think it's probably just from the amount of times Lutkis and I have continuously told people to stop putting HID kits in their stock [non-HID] lights and thinking they'll have good output without blinding people in oncoming lanes
I've lost count how many times we've told that.
Old 06-11-15, 12:00 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lutkis
I may have confused it with high beams. Well either way both or one of them is illegal here.
Yeah, you're right. I had it backwards as well. With my setup, it's two low beams and four high beams.
Old 06-11-15, 07:39 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Might I add to the conversation that the housing for the high beam is very limited in space and not all projectors will fit. Well they can fit, but significant modifications will need to be made as well as most likely having the projectors sticking out in the rear. As mentioned above, the mini projectors would most likely be the best bet for the high beams.

Also, this post would be better suited for the lighting forum of Club Lexus since retro fitting is universal and people in there would have more knowledge of whats available.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lighting-128/
Old 06-11-15, 08:09 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ive got the mini h1 on my high beams and only little modification is needed. and from there on its as simple as plug and play. be careful choosing a shroud for the high beams tho, since space is so limited once you put the headlight lens back on. i chose to go with the stander gatling shrouds that come with the minis and it was already a tight fit. good luck, feel free to ask more questions.
Old 06-16-15, 11:27 AM
Category5
Driver

Hey you know I really appreciate all your guys input/help/suggestions, as I've gone through reading so many threads, and it seems that the ones with the most valuable information ALL have broken links for all the photo's haha but anyhow things are going smoothly! Kinda, But I trimmed shaved and sanded the ls430's shrouds to correct shape, Removed the lenses and took apart the new head lights I got for the retro, (bought a new set from a member in the classifieds for a awesome deal) just some generics really... But I wanted that new lens and nice new chrome bezel? It's the bezel right? Haha anyhow Just waiting for the luxury mods brackets even know I'm so stupid for paying for them making those would have been cake...actually I pretty much already did for the hell of it too but it's alright nice to support them for the cause haha. Just need to trim the shift light area and figure out what I'm going to do with the high beams... I def. Do not want to leave them as stock halogens, to me it doesn't look complete at all...
@Monkey, do you happen to have any pictures of your head lights? I'd love to see them! Also From what I understand the morimoto Mini H1's have a few different kinds right and isn't there one specific type that I should actually purchase otherwise the other models are some how not compatible? Again thanks for all the chiming in it really helps.
The Jokester don't you have your own retro thread from when you did your lights? Pretty sure ive seen it a Bunch of times hahaha can't remember if there pics or not, but you didn't end up doing the high beams huh? Was a time restraint or something? I may have you mixed up with someone else though if not sorry
Old 06-16-15, 11:28 AM
Category5
Driver

I'll post up pics of my progress soon k! If like to get the projectors for the high beams ordered looks like there muuuch cheaper now days huh?

Quick Reply: Retrofitting head lights question plz