GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Retrofitting head lights question plz

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 04:22 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Yea it was me:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-bracket.html

All my links and pics are still functional.

As for the high beams, I ended up purchasing the wrong ones (too big) and just tossed the idea out.
Old 06-16-15, 06:17 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry man i didnt take any pics of the high beams while i was working on it. but yes, there are different versions of the mini H1 out there, im not too sure of the differences but they all work the same as far as mounting. the threaded cylinder from the projector is inserted into the hole from the high beam. but the diameter of the projector is just slightly larger than the high beam reflector so you'll have to trim the reflector and widen the hole a little bit. also. you're going to want to trim away the lip from the hole so the projector can sit as far back inside in the headlight as possible or else it wont clear the lens. the only pics i have are when they were already mounted.
Attached Thumbnails Retrofitting head lights question plz-20150222_143518.jpg  
Old 06-16-15, 06:21 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

and this is my wriring. this allows me to have both the inner and outers on as a low beam at the same time and still have the choice of switching to high beams.
Attached Thumbnails Retrofitting head lights question plz-20150209_204612-1.jpg  
Old 06-18-15, 05:17 PM
Category5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Yea it was me:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-bracket.html

All my links and pics are still functional.

As for the high beams, I ended up purchasing the wrong ones (too big) and just tossed the idea out.
oh there we go, yea I've opened your thread a grip of times haha some really useful info in there thanks brother!
Old 06-18-15, 05:37 PM
Category5
Driver

Originally Posted by monkey92
sorry man i didnt take any pics of the high beams while i was working on it. but yes, there are different versions of the mini H1 out there, im not too sure of the differences but they all work the same as far as mounting. the threaded cylinder from the projector is inserted into the hole from the high beam. but the diameter of the projector is just slightly larger than the high beam reflector so you'll have to trim the reflector and widen the hole a little bit. also. you're going to want to trim away the lip from the hole so the projector can sit as far back inside in the headlight as possible or else it wont clear the lens. the only pics i have are when they were already mounted.
oh dam yesa those match real well! So you didnt go with the ls430's huh? hows the light output with your setup? Hang on lol so let me get this straight so you can role with either just your low beams on, or you you can have both low and highs, highs being at there low so even your fogs on correct? or with highs going to there higher with lows, no fogs... IS THAT? wait a min..... or do our lows turn off when highs go to there high.... hmmm lol hope you stuck with me through that.
and this is my wriring. this allows me to have both the inner and outers on as a low beam at the same time and still have the choice of switching to high beams.
hell yea! you are the man thanks monkey, thank you sir! and real quick these are the ones your talking about?
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/clo...l#.VYNeIkbffIU

They also have a stage III lighting kit that comes with the mini h1's but its $270.... ehh 270 for highs that get used even less then they do now? rather put that towards doing my fogs really...
heres the stage III to refer to:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VYNjekbffIU

fogs? hahahaa would be very sick
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/clo...l#.VYNi_0bffIU

if they didnt come off a prius haha no im jk, absolutly love how the inner (assuming low beam?) is larger then the other that would look SO good in our bumpers dam
Old 06-18-15, 10:42 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Does your car have HIDs stock?
Old 06-19-15, 02:48 AM
Category5
Driver

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
Does your car have HIDs stock?
:/ nah....... No HIDs unfortunately and the new ones I got aren't either... Lol I just can't justify going and paying 600 on head lights man I got my new ones for $180, pretty much for the bezels and lenses really but...I got brand new ls430 projectors with tsx-r lenses also for $180 I'm trying to keep the trend going here my man hahaha

So I got $180 for a set new set of green tints! Let's make it happen! Me and you! Hahaha.... Dam I should have gotten those....
Old 06-19-15, 11:15 AM
monkey92
Lead Lap

oh dam yesa those match real well! So you didnt go with the ls430's huh? hows the light output with your setup? Hang on lol so let me get this straight so you can role with either just your low beams on, or you you can have both low and highs, highs being at there low so even your fogs on correct? or with highs going to there higher with lows, no fogs... IS THAT? wait a min..... or do our lows turn off when highs go to there high.... hmmm lol hope you stuck with me through that.
my 460s are super bright since im running the osram CBIs. makes night driving a pleasure ahah
also ill explain my setup here.

i got non-biexnons LS460s on the low beams
generic mini h1s on the high beams (bi-xenon)
the wiring diagram allows me to run:
- both outer & inner as low beams at the same time.
- have outer as low beam and inner as high at the same time
- or i can manually switch high beam ON/OFF since my mini solenoids are wired into my high beam harness.
- have all on including my fogs at the same time.
or only my fogs on with no lows/highs on. (fog light mod)

as for the morimoto mini h1s, i bought the $30 standard h1 since i only wanted a high beam option and wasnt looking for performance.

good luck on your retro ahah
Old 06-25-15, 10:23 AM
Category5
Driver

my 460s are super bright since im running the osram CBIs. makes night driving a pleasure ahah
also ill explain my setup here.

i got non-biexnons LS460s on the low beams
generic mini h1s on the high beams (bi-xenon)
the wiring diagram allows me to run:
- both outer & inner as low beams at the same time.
- have outer as low beam and inner as high at the same time
- or i can manually switch high beam ON/OFF since my mini solenoids are wired into my high beam harness.
- have all on including my fogs at the same time.
or only my fogs on with no lows/highs on. (fog light mod)

as for the morimoto mini h1s, i bought the $30 standard h1 since i only wanted a high beam option and wasnt looking for performance.

good luck on your retro ahah
Man that sounds awesome, def. want to have those capabilities with my set up once I finish it for sure, but yea you def. lost me there with the whole wiring schematics dam..... the photo of the drawing looks like perhaps its cutt off huh? dam just a tad bit confused with some of it but once its all in front of me itll hopefully be a bit easier but was there a write up you followed? or did you figure that all out on your own? Impressive no doubt, just never been big in the whole wiring and lighting game at all.... most wiring ive done really is my stereo really haha but did you have to use any relays? No right? I guess I just need to purchase bulbs and ballasts so I can aim these all and get my lenses back on, take it one step at a time, then worry about the wiring haha.

By the way this may sound bad but whats the whole osram CBI's about? haha dont know what it is, ballast and bulb set up you chose? No pics of your front end finished up huh!!! dang anyhow thanks a lot for your help brother really appreciate everyone!

EDIT: dam impressive bulbs man.... jeez. Those are 5000k right? 5000k def. looks classier then 6000k huh? I'm running 5500K if not mistaken and 5000k on my fogs

Last edited by Category5; 06-25-15 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-25-15, 05:32 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

the wiring isnt too bad, i got some help from a lighting group on facebook. i just used two 9006 type hid relay harnesses. one for each side to run the two ballast. if you need anymore help feel free to PM me
Old 06-29-15, 01:54 PM
Category5
Driver

the wiring isnt too bad, i got some help from a lighting group on facebook. i just used two 9006 type hid relay harnesses. one for each side to run the two ballast. if you need anymore help feel free to PM me
Awesome thanks brother I appreciate that. You can count on it haha.
Old 06-30-15, 06:54 AM
Category5
Driver

Hey guys I have run into a bit of a dilemma and wanted to possibly hear what y'all think, so the bolts we need for the luxury mods brackets and what not are the #6-32x3" right, well I have had no luck finding these, but obviously was able to get #8-32x3" being the next size up.... It's cool if I tap the projectors threading as well as the Luxury mods brackets so I could just use #8's instead right? May be a bit sturdier this way anyhow and the brackets would then actually have threading as well, just a little haha but... Fine right?