GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Member new to the game

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 05:01 PM
Hlfamazing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member new to the game

Hey guys, I just registered but will find time tonight to do the formal greet and meet in the intro thread. East coaster but plan on moving out west in a few years.

Just wanted to get some educated advice. I have not officially been in the game as an owner but have lived in Japan and various parts of asia for a few years and have always been a fan of the GS. I just picked up a new position as a vehicle fleet manager and just took a auto mechanics course and will be working on the maintenance shop as well as providing logistics. Not really mechanically inclined before this but will be getting some good hands on training and willing to learn. Also the guys at the shop have been in the auto mechanic game for years in the federal system and will help me out. At the shop, we tear down engines & trannies on location.

With that said, since I will be moving job locations, I will need another vehicle and won't take the metro (train & bus) to work anymore. My wife has the newer car. So I was thinking about getting a GS (my first love) but a 2nd gen between $2-5k range and use it as a knowledge/project car but also keep it as my daily for the next 3-5 years.

So the question is, am i over my head and should i go with a simple honda accord and make life simple? Or are 2nd Gen GSs reliable enough that I can handle it as a project/daily vehicle without breaking the bank? I won't need to take it to a dealer as my co-workers as I said have been certified and working on government/commercial cars for years will assist me and or charge me less for major work until I get fully qualified.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-15, 07:52 PM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the GS!

It's such a cheaply found car now and is incredibly reliable. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Old 06-09-15, 07:03 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you keep the car stock, then yeah you could have a gs and do the repairs yourself for relatively cheap.

but then hondas are easier to work on.

but the gs is definitely more plush

its really up to you
Old 06-10-15, 11:48 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly think there is no other car in the market, for the price, that looks as good as the GS.. How much will you be spending on a Honda? 2 or 3K?
Old 06-11-15, 09:45 AM
Adoh2010
Driver School Candidate

If you're going to lower it then it wont be as reliable as a Honda, suspension parts go bad quick as far as people say around here. It's double wishbone like up to '00 Civics and up to '12 Accords so it should be as easy to lower.

If MPG is a concern then I'd steer clear from the GS.
Old 06-11-15, 03:23 PM
Hlfamazing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EN_VY
I honestly think there is no other car in the market, for the price, that looks as good as the GS.. How much will you be spending on a Honda? 2 or 3K?
Thanks for all the responses gents. Man, it's like going into a devil's lot and asking for advice. You are sure to hear all the right things...

That being said, i have a cash budget of about 4 grand on either a down payment or cash out give/take a grand depending on the final draw. I will be ready in a few weeks or so.

However, I am not trying to get a lemon and I need it to hold me up with minor initial repairs while at the same time, I know that I will have some in the early on-demand internal repairs.

I am trying to make it a project car/daily and keep it clean to eventually call it "my baby". I'm not about the pump and dump lol. I will get an itch for some future external aesthetic mods eventually .

MPG isn't really an issue as it will be 19 miles to work only and a sunday drive.