GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Am I crazy for wanting a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 04:21 PM
spencetimm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy for wanting a GS?

Hi all,

Just joined this forum so I could learn a little bit about these vehicles. I currently have a 2000 Subaru Outback with 100,000 miles, and within the last couple months I have had to replace the struts, a CV axle, and I will likely have to replace the head gaskets in the next 15,000 miles or so. I would also like to have a little more of a fun car. I'm in college, so I don't have much to spend on a car itself or repairs. I live in Oregon and to go home I have to cross a mountain pass, usually with some snow. Anyway, so you guys think I would be crazy to consider a GS? My primary concerns are drivability in the snow and reliability. What do you guys think?
Old 05-21-15, 06:31 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Not wanting a 2GS makes you crazy . All jokes aside its an amazing car. You won't be sorry you bought one. Mine doesn't handle too bad in the snow and has been very reliable.

Do some research and find one in good condition that has been well taken care of and you'll be set. Test drive one and you'll fall in love, I guarantee it.
Old 05-21-15, 06:41 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Well it will definately be a downgrade in the snow compared to a Subaru, but if you have a good set of tires it's fine, I got snow tires for mine and I've had no issues, reliability wise they're pretty bulletproof, mines at almost 220k and I've only had to fix a belt tensioner that cost $40 in the three years I've owned it
Old 05-21-15, 06:57 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The GS has quickly become my favorite car I've ever owned.

It's a 15 year old car that is priced accordingly, but feels more like a $15,000+ car. Mine has been fiercely reliable, but I'm only at 147k. There's plenty of these cars running around at 300k+. The only "major" issues with these cars that I'm aware of are the timing belt ($300-1000 every 90k miles) and the lower ball joints ($50-500).

It's not going be the same snow-driving experience as a Subaru - which is pretty much: put your foot to the floor, go to sleep, and wake up at your destination - but with a good set of winter tires, you should be fine. The traction control works well and there is a snow mode for the transmission, which I've never tried.

Side note: What part of Oregon are you in? I live in Vancouver, WA and my mom lives in Bend.
Old 05-21-15, 08:12 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

If you're crazy, then put me in an asylum.
Old 05-21-15, 08:19 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mveale
there is a snow mode for the transmission, which I've never tried.
Snow mode makes a huge difference. It changes the shift schedule so it shifts sooner keeping the RPMs low.

Snow mode shift schedule:

Normal/PWR shift schedule:

Old 05-21-15, 10:22 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the opposite end... as much as I enjoy owning my car and love it's reliability, features, etc. it's not as "fun" to drive as other cars I've owned. Being an automatic it's not engaging, it doesn't handle exceptionally well unless you throw multiple suspension upgrades at it, and the throttle response (for GS430's) sucks.

Again, I'm not saying it's not a great car because it is and I've loved every minute of owning mine. But, if you're looking for a "fun" car I'd look elsewhere.
Old 05-21-15, 10:49 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
I'm on the opposite end... as much as I enjoy owning my car and love it's reliability, features, etc. it's not as "fun" to drive as other cars I've owned. Being an automatic it's not engaging, it doesn't handle exceptionally well unless you throw multiple suspension upgrades at it, and the throttle response (for GS430's) sucks.

Again, I'm not saying it's not a great car because it is and I've loved every minute of owning mine. But, if you're looking for a "fun" car I'd look elsewhere.
I feel you on that everyday I drive my car I wish it was more sporty.if I was to do t again I would get is300 or a 05 g35 coupe way more sporty and for the younger crowd way I would even look at the sc400 with the right upgrades that thing can handle like it on rails I say stay away from the GS or less your ready to upgrade the whole suspension witch would run you 3500 or better if your trying to run air but even if I had the money to do it I still wouldn't do it thats a new car is300 g35 coupe 05 or better trust me

Last edited by daddyduke; 05-21-15 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-15, 11:13 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

My friend works at a wrecking yard he bought his is300 for 3500 with 275k.then he bought a motor/trans for 600 with 60k miles.drop that bad boy on his off day.now he has a new car basically and his is300 looks way better then my 430 these were design around 92 and came out fall 97 I'm sure u were just a thought.these cars are out dated.look for 05 g35 coupe vossen on Google images you have way more options I'm getting a 2013 g37 coupe or a rc350 is350 f sport or a e550 coupe once I save up but the GS will get me to that point while i save up.just a thought.I have a FAM your single plus from the back the 05 g35 coupes looks like the new ones

Last edited by daddyduke; 05-21-15 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-22-15, 12:55 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Bought my car in 2011 and I'm beyond bored with it. It's a great car, highly reliable and I will drive mine until the wheels fall off, but I want a monster now. I'm looking to purchase the Maserati GranTurismo 4.7 or Benz S550 coupe or CL63 AMG. I want something fast, powerful, and a head turner. Heck the Bentley Continental are in my price range now. My GS will be my work/commuter...now I want a nice weekend vehicle.
Old 05-22-15, 11:39 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I like that people are now suggesting E550s and G37s because they're more fun. Apples to oranges, fellas. Being a college student with a 2000 Subaru Outback, I assume he doesn't have $30k+ laying around to spend on a car.

OP, don't buy a GS expecting it to corner like a Lotus Elise. It is still a heavy luxury sedan. If you want the best of a Lotus Elise and a luxury sedan, go buy a E34/E39 BMW 540 Sport (about the same price as a GS), but you will be throwing the "reliability" factor out the window by doing so.

A GS400 (and presumably 430) is not a slow car, especially compared to a 2000 Outback, but don't expect to king of the drag strip or track day.

Finally, yes, the GS was designed in the mid 90's, but it doesn't feel nearly as dated as most cars from that era.
Old 05-22-15, 11:55 AM
madfish
Rookie

I came from a 2000 legacy GTB to the GS430...

I've lost...

Practicality
Handling
4wd traction

I've gained...

Reliability
Luxury
RWD fun (limited slip diff helps!)
V8 noise

The GS430 has poor throttle response as standard but an electronic throttle controller fixes that completely
Old 05-22-15, 12:40 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No, Not crazy. Maybe more to do with where your head is. Are you done with purely practical and want some luxury? As for winter, if it's hilly where you live stick to AWD. On flat gorund with the best snow tires made, it's not bad. On hills in snow it would be horrible. Day to day, it's very reliable and makes you feel good driving it.
Old 05-22-15, 08:43 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

I could've bought a 2011 GS 460 (I wanted that car soo bad!) but settled for my 01 and dropped thousands on it to fix and keep it OEM with no problems to be found anywhere. After 2 years, no problems arised. I want to buy another one so I can put a GTE in it or just buy a GTE modded Sport Design.

You wouldn't be crazy to buy one. Get it!
Old 05-24-15, 04:38 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JJaySilver
I could've bought a 2011 GS 460 (I wanted that car soo bad!) but settled for my 01 and dropped thousands on it to fix and keep it OEM with no problems to be found anywhere. After 2 years, no problems arised. I want to buy another one so I can put a GTE in it or just buy a GTE modded Sport Design.

You wouldn't be crazy to buy one. Get it!
so you turned down a 2011 gs460 that trumps the 2nd Gen in every way to buy a beater 2nd gen and spend thousands to fix it to oem specs? Doesn't make sense at all but whatever floats your boat.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy for wanting a GS?