GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Nexus 7 Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 09:34 PM
kt636
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got my OBD2 bluetooth dongle in today and working with dashcommand. I haven't mess around with it yet but water temp, intake air temp, speed, tach and trip odometer is working.
Old 05-29-15, 09:49 PM
2jzdc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Woah that looks amazing!
Old 05-30-15, 08:57 PM
SpiderXP7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you concerned with extreme temps? I would like to do this but am worried about leaving it in the car on 90º plus days. I might try to make it easily detachable to throw in glove box or take with me
Old 05-31-15, 01:18 PM
darville
Driver School Candidate

Default Diagram

Originally Posted by kt636
Here is a quick sketch of what I used and how I wired it up
Thanks for the diagram.
Old 05-31-15, 05:33 PM
kt636
Rookie

Originally Posted by SpiderXP7
are you concerned with extreme temps? I would like to do this but am worried about leaving it in the car on 90º plus days. I might try to make it easily detachable to throw in glove box or take with me
That is one of my concern but it's been in the high 80s to low 90s where I'm at currently and it's running fine. I've been watching the battery temp of the nexus and the highest I've seen it is 119º and it cools down once I got the car going. I do leave my two back windows cracked open when I'm parked so I know that helped.
Old 05-31-15, 07:31 PM
marshun
Advanced

Got my OBD2 bluetooth dongle in today and working with dashcommand. I haven't mess around with it yet but water temp, intake air temp, speed, tach and trip odometer is working.
this makes me want to do this as well. is there a way to have the reverse camera as well? i like my camera. dont want to lose that one
Old 06-01-15, 06:38 AM
SpiderXP7
Driver School Candidate

I Live in Chicago area so weather is my biggest concern both cold and hot. I park in the garage at night but not too uncommon for a few days to be below zero during the winter and over 90º in the summer. Anyone try something like this in a similar climate and have any issues. I cant imagine getting into my car when I leave for work in the winter ant its below 0º that any tablet would turn on. I will probably have to figure out a way to make it easily removable while still looking as stock as possible.
Old 06-01-15, 04:09 PM
kt636
Rookie

Originally Posted by marshun
this makes me want to do this as well. is there a way to have the reverse camera as well? i like my camera. dont want to lose that one
There is an option to hook up the reverse camera with the kernel I'm using but I haven't looked into it yet. I'll post it up when I start tinkering with it.

I Live in Chicago area so weather is my biggest concern both cold and hot. I park in the garage at night but not too uncommon for a few days to be below zero during the winter and over 90º in the summer. Anyone try something like this in a similar climate and have any issues. I cant imagine getting into my car when I leave for work in the winter ant its below 0º that any tablet would turn on. I will probably have to figure out a way to make it easily removable while still looking as stock as possible.
I would just wire up a toggle switch and leave the nexus off for a few minutes while the car warms up or cool down on those extreme temp days.
Old 06-01-15, 04:49 PM
herc2k
Rookie

Nice work bro!! Those tablets are @ 80 bucks on ebay....I may try this. Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 06-09-15, 06:51 AM
SpiderXP7
Driver School Candidate

Are there themes with dashcomand, I was using torque pro but like the look of your dashcommand better. I downloaded it but cant seem to find the set up you have
Old 06-09-15, 10:36 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 209 Likes on 115 Posts

Awesome job on the install!

I can't believe how OEM your setup looks. Big props to your mad skills!

I'm by no means an expert and my questions will probably sound dumb or condescending, but they're not intended to be like that at all.
  1. What's the reason why you connected your Nexus 7 the way you did rather than just connecting it via BT to your radio for audio out to your cars speakers? You mentioned DAC has better sound quality? Is that the main reason?
  2. How is the GPS reception when using Google Maps or Waze? Do you lock on a GPS signal fairly quickly? I'm guessing you set up your Android phone (or iPhone as a wireless hotspot) and use Google Maps like that.
  3. I'm guessing that when you have music playing and your GPS on, music playing on your Nexus mutes when your Nav gives directions? What about when you get a phone call that goes to your radio via BT - does that also mute the music and Nav?

I'm considering bringing my car into the 21st century from an Infotainment perspective and want to get rid of the Pioneer AVIC-D2 Nav I have in there with an Android Auto equipped device (Smart phone friendly HU) like the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX as that does pretty much everything I need and is a direct swap with the Pioneer AVIC-D2 double DIN unit, but your install also looks interesting.

Did you consider going this route before you decided on the N7 install?

I've seen someone using Chromecast on the HU above to cast compatible apps directly to the HU - looks very cool -

Decisions, decisions........
Old 06-09-15, 03:04 PM
kt636
Rookie

Are there themes with dashcomand, I was using torque pro but like the look of your dashcommand better. I downloaded it but cant seem to find the set up you have
You have to download the theme through the app. There should be plenty of themes that people posted up.

Originally Posted by Hameed
Awesome job on the install!

I can't believe how OEM your setup looks. Big props to your mad skills!

I'm by no means an expert and my questions will probably sound dumb or condescending, but they're not intended to be like that at all.
  1. What's the reason why you connected your Nexus 7 the way you did rather than just connecting it via BT to your radio for audio out to your cars speakers? You mentioned DAC has better sound quality? Is that the main reason?
  2. How is the GPS reception when using Google Maps or Waze? Do you lock on a GPS signal fairly quickly? I'm guessing you set up your Android phone (or iPhone as a wireless hotspot) and use Google Maps like that.
  3. I'm guessing that when you have music playing and your GPS on, music playing on your Nexus mutes when your Nav gives directions? What about when you get a phone call that goes to your radio via BT - does that also mute the music and Nav?

I'm considering bringing my car into the 21st century from an Infotainment perspective and want to get rid of the Pioneer AVIC-D2 Nav I have in there with an Android Auto equipped device (Smart phone friendly HU) like the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX as that does pretty much everything I need and is a direct swap with the Pioneer AVIC-D2 double DIN unit, but your install also looks interesting.

Did you consider going this route before you decided on the N7 install?

I've seen someone using Chromecast on the HU above to cast compatible apps directly to the HU - looks very cool - Pioneer AVH-4100NEX With Chromecast - YouTube

Decisions, decisions........
thanks bro
1. The only reason for the dac is for a better sound quality compare to BT audio.
2. GPS reception is ok. It takes a few minutes for it to lock in but other than that its pretty accurate. There are external usb gps options but I didnt think it was neccessary for me. I can use hotspot from my phone to connect for google maps but I'm currently using downloaded offline map right now.
3. Music does auto mute when I'm on BT wireless calling. I havent tried it with maps yet but I think it does as well.
4. I had the pioneer app 3 radio on my previous car and it can use apps from phone as well but I wanted music and movies storage for long road trips and offline maps. I was planning to build a carpc setup but that was more costly and the nexus was within my budget.

Double din unit that have navi wouldnt be a bad choice but most cost $500 plus and I wanted something that look simple and oem so I went with the custom route.
Old 06-09-15, 09:07 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great install, I have the pioneer app radio mode solution.
Old 06-10-15, 11:55 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful install man! Props.. this is something I always wanted to do,
Old 06-19-15, 06:00 AM
samsmart
Driver School Candidate

Default Love this!!

Awesome! Love it! I'm about to do the same thing in mine! I've got a first gen nexus I want to chuck in mine but can't find a download for the timur kernel anywhere! If anyone's seen one can they chuck me the link please

Quick Reply: My Nexus 7 Install