GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Nexus 7 Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 08:10 PM
kt636
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkpoto
Wow great work. I have been trying to figure out the best way to do this with a mini ipad. Great job!
I wanted an ipad mini at first since I'm a mac person but the nexus was more customizable so I went with it. Took me a while to mess around with the android system but I'm happy so far.
Old 05-22-15, 01:39 AM
angus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kt636

I still have a few minor things here and there to finish up but everything is working like it should

Did you re-use the old polarized film or bought a new one?
Old 05-22-15, 12:00 PM
madfish
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Superb!

Looks OEM

This has spurred me on to get mine finished. ..
Old 05-22-15, 12:04 PM
budgetvip
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is amazing I wish I had the skill to do something like this
Old 05-25-15, 07:41 PM
kt636
Rookie

Originally Posted by angus
Did you re-use the old polarized film or bought a new one?
You have to buy a new one because the film needs to be rotated 180 degree from the original position
Old 05-25-15, 08:10 PM
SpiderXP7
Driver School Candidate

Awesome Job!, Can you still listen and control radio from nexus 7? I am looking and doing this and running android auto.
Old 05-27-15, 11:08 AM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job. What are you doing for hands free calling?
Old 05-27-15, 11:57 AM
darville
Driver School Candidate

Very nice and clean install. Do you have a list of the equipment you used besides the Nexus 7?
Old 05-27-15, 02:29 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly i clicked on this expecting the worst, but it looks like it left the factory that way. great job. Nice tie-in with the amber UI on the screen
Old 05-27-15, 04:09 PM
kt636
Rookie

Originally Posted by SpiderXP7
Awesome Job!, Can you still listen and control radio from nexus 7? I am looking and doing this and running android auto.
I can control the radio function from the nexus 7 with the sony app but the main drawback is that you have to physically push the sync button on the sony deck for it to pair. There is a way around this that I saw somebody did. He programmed an arduino module to mimic the signal of the deck remote to send signal to sync the app automatically. I was planning to do that but when I found out that I can't use my Behringer DAC for better sound quality and it would strictly be bluetooth audio. I'm not an audiophile but I did prefer the sound quality from the DAC than bluetooth so I didn't go with that route. I got the sony deck mainly for wireless calling and I hardly listen to the radio anyway. If you noticed on my ashtray there is an aux and usb input. That usb is connected to my sony deck and when I hook that up to my Iphone and use the sony app. I can control the deck that way if I wanted it to.

Originally Posted by black_LS
Nice job. What are you doing for hands free calling?
My phone is synced with the sony deck for calling

Originally Posted by darville
Very nice and clean install. Do you have a list of the equipment you used besides the Nexus 7?
I can draw a quick diagram of the install this weekend and post it up if you like.

Originally Posted by Ava92
Honestly i clicked on this expecting the worst, but it looks like it left the factory that way. great job. Nice tie-in with the amber UI on the screen
Thanks
Old 05-28-15, 11:32 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That is some fantastic work right there

Nothing like a clean and neat ICE set-up - love it!!
Old 05-29-15, 12:52 PM
darville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kt636
I can control the radio function from the nexus 7 with the sony app but the main drawback is that you have to physically push the sync button on the sony deck for it to pair. There is a way around this that I saw somebody did. He programmed an arduino module to mimic the signal of the deck remote to send signal to sync the app automatically. I was planning to do that but when I found out that I can't use my Behringer DAC for better sound quality and it would strictly be bluetooth audio. I'm not an audiophile but I did prefer the sound quality from the DAC than bluetooth so I didn't go with that route. I got the sony deck mainly for wireless calling and I hardly listen to the radio anyway. If you noticed on my ashtray there is an aux and usb input. That usb is connected to my sony deck and when I hook that up to my Iphone and use the sony app. I can control the deck that way if I wanted it to.

My phone is synced with the sony deck for calling

I can draw a quick diagram of the install this weekend and post it up if you like.

Thanks

If you have the time and can do a diagram, that would be awesome. I have seen this type of install before but not sure what pieces are involved besides the obvious ones. Thanks.
Old 05-29-15, 12:57 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a GS and plan to install a Nexus 7 similar to my LS. I was hoping to retain the factory head unit and move it to the glove box (to keep this simple).

Seeing as you took apart the original head unit, do you think it would be possible to desolder the volume **** and integrate it in the new face plate, or is it in there in such a way that would make it difficult to remove?
Old 05-29-15, 09:09 PM
kt636
Rookie

Here is a quick sketch of what I used and how I wired it up
Old 05-29-15, 09:21 PM
kt636
Rookie

Originally Posted by lowKut
That is some fantastic work right there

Nothing like a clean and neat ICE set-up - love it!!
Thanks

Originally Posted by darville
If you have the time and can do a diagram, that would be awesome. I have seen this type of install before but not sure what pieces are involved besides the obvious ones. Thanks.
I did a quick sketch. If you have any other questions then let me know

Originally Posted by black_LS
I just picked up a GS and plan to install a Nexus 7 similar to my LS. I was hoping to retain the factory head unit and move it to the glove box (to keep this simple).

Seeing as you took apart the original head unit, do you think it would be possible to desolder the volume **** and integrate it in the new face plate, or is it in there in such a way that would make it difficult to remove?
You can desolder the volume **** pretty easy but I'm not sure you will have enough space to mount the **** on the new face plate. I don't think keeping the factory head unit would be simpler to install since its big and bulky for the glove compartment. You would also have to make an aux input through the cd changer and have a blank cd playing while using the aux. I think getting a new head unit would be a lot simpler and its only around $60-70 for a new one.

Quick Reply: My Nexus 7 Install