GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Wind noise from right rear door?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-03, 11:12 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 315 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Wind noise from right rear door?

Anyone here has this problem on their GS? Wind noise from the right rear window or door at speeds over 60 mph? It is a strange whistling sound and is definitely from the right side only - that's why I think it's not normal.
Old 03-21-03, 12:53 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this sound once before also. Fortunately, I just didn't realize my window was down by the smallest amount (I'm talking less than 1/10 of an inch), but still enough to let noise in. Just in reaction, I hit all the windows and realized that's what it was. I'm assuming you probably already did this, in which case, you probably have a small air leak. Check it out.

-Anthony
Old 03-21-03, 02:09 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by Captain Bone
I had this sound once before also. Fortunately, I just didn't realize my window was down by the smallest amount (I'm talking less than 1/10 of an inch), but still enough to let noise in. Just in reaction, I hit all the windows and realized that's what it was. I'm assuming you probably already did this, in which case, you probably have a small air leak. Check it out.

-Anthony
Yes already figured that and have tried it several times, but no difference. Anybody know what I should do to fix the air leak?
Old 03-21-03, 08:10 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I thought my car had that, but it turns out it is coming from the sunroof! I am picking up road noise from the drain pipe I believe. Try closing the sunroof shade and see if that helps. I have yet to find time to make ANOTHER appt at the dealer for them to look at this.

Doug
Old 03-22-03, 05:16 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by doug_999
I thought my car had that, but it turns out it is coming from the sunroof! I am picking up road noise from the drain pipe I believe. Try closing the sunroof shade and see if that helps. I have yet to find time to make ANOTHER appt at the dealer for them to look at this.

Doug
Thanks Doug, I will definitely try that as I always keep the sunshade open. I will post my findings later .

Thanks!
Old 03-22-03, 11:01 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There was a post about missing rubber caps under the floor (behind the tire) that may cause an air leak too.
Old 03-23-03, 07:59 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

man i have the same exact problem but i think i got more than just the rear passanger door... man i can hear wind and when i hit the gas on speeds above 45. i got it everywhere front door also.. i just dont know what to do.... i went to the dealership and was like test drive it i hear to much noise ... they say its common i was like wtf. no way, impossible my sisters 98' infiniti QX4 with killer system and 20's is quieter than my car.. they said they dont hear anything i was like omg so i got in the car the second time and drove it i was like wahts all that noise then they say its really common ... i told them they need to find a way to fix this common noise.. they havent called me back and i tried gettign new tires b/c thats one of the reason why u get noise but **** i still hear it.
Old 03-26-03, 11:32 AM
wexclr8
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally posted by GS430lvr
There was a post about missing rubber caps under the floor (behind the tire) that may cause an air leak too.
That is correct!

Had a similar noise about 4 months ago. Looked at everything from the doors, to the mirrors, hood, etc - it was coming from right side for sure. Finally took it to dealer and the Service Rep, who knows all it seems (a very good thing), said it was probably a "body plug". We went out, looked under the front passenger side of the car and on the underside of the car sure enough was a hole about 3"-4" in diameter.

It had fallen out. They put in a new one. About a month later it fell out again. I put some duct tape over the hole and it was fine. Was in for my next service check and let them know, so they put in another plug and this time I guess used some adhesive.

The Service Rep said that this is happening on some '01 - '03 GSs.

Hope this helps, check it out, it was very noisy.
Old 03-26-03, 11:42 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Thanks for the info, will try that out soon.
Old 03-26-03, 12:15 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hameed, my wife and I have discovered something weird and interesting on our GS regarding a similar issue.

We recently discovered anytime we lower the driver's window, and put it back up, we get wind noise especially noticable on the highway above 65 MPH. We can lower it a try to close it again and again, but it doesn't change...now,
...if we leave the window up in the garage overnight (we always do anyway) and drive it on the highway the next day, it's quiet again. It's as if the rubber seals distort when we lower the glass, and it takes a while for them to fall back snugly in place.
I don't know if you've been noticing your noise this way, or if you're getting it all the time without putting the window down and up again. If you never touch your rear window button, then I guess this doesn't help. Good luck.
Old 03-26-03, 12:19 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

That is correct, I don't usually open the rear window. It stays shut all the time..
Old 03-27-03, 07:26 AM
playerx
Driver School Candidate

Just picked up my 2003 GS300 a week ago. Noticed this issue while driving home from the dealership. Wasn't that bad and am able to ignore it until I read this thread. But definitely same exact symptom, wind noise coming from right rear of passenger cabin.

I'll have the dealership check out the plugs under the car during the 1000 mile check. I'll post back any findings. How easy is it to look for missing plugs without going under the car?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-03, 08:18 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

I have the same prob on my GS. sometimes from the front passenger side, the rear passenger side or the driver's side... usually after rolling down the windows... then when you put them up again, there is a lot of wind noise.... this is my solution....It works....

when all the way up, it makes a noise... so tap your power window switch down just a little... the window goes down a bit... not open... just a very teensy bit but the window is still closed, just down about less than .25mm from completely closed position...That usually eliminates the noise for me. try this out. yeap.. i think that the seals are a bit deformed... i wish i remember to leave the windows closed all the time, but when you are cruising, sometimes, you want to roll them down. well.... i hope this would help...
Old 03-27-03, 06:02 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Went for a ride in my GS - with someone else driving. The noise I am hearing is coming from the sunroof - the back of it to be exact and both sides. Closing the shade fixes the issue.

Underneath the car there are two holes open on either side of the car in the rear - I'm assuming these are on purpose as I swung by the Lexus dealer and all of their GSs had these same holes unplugged. My thought is this is the drain hole for the frame/sunroof drain. I'll bet plugging them up solves the noise problem - but creates others. This is on my list for the dealer to look at as the noise is completely annoying and should not happen in a car costing this much.
Old 03-28-03, 04:09 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by doug_999
Went for a ride in my GS - with someone else driving. The noise I am hearing is coming from the sunroof - the back of it to be exact and both sides. Closing the shade fixes the issue.
I did the exact same thing and the noise stopped. So in fact it is not from the rear right door, but from the sunroof.

Quick Reply: Wind noise from right rear door?