GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another Steering wheel shaking thread...

Old 04-04-15, 12:18 PM
re-rx7
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Another Steering wheel shaking thread...

So My steering wheel is shaking pretty violently at 70mph. Starts around 60 and progressively gets worse. The peaks is around 70mph. The car looks to have Figgs cater arm bushings. It needs tie rods as they are leaking and feel slightly loose. The upper control arm looks to be stock. Ive researched the problem but since the car already has the blue figs caster bushings Im kinda stumped.
Old 04-04-15, 01:15 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Dont know why having figs bushings would stump you but as you said, there are a plethora of threads on this, just gotta read them one by one and troubleshoot every component and diagnose, many things can cause a wobble. Even a quick google on the problem I'm sure would probably give you a list of what to check.
Old 04-04-15, 02:20 PM
re-rx7
Pit Crew

Spoke with previous owner. He had put SPC upper arms on it and they broke. HE took them off and put the OE ones back on. I.e these arms have 125k miles on them. So I will probably order another set of OEM off Rock auto. Figs Caster arms and lower bal joint have been replaced. Tie rods are leaking. The figs busing stumped me because I thought that was the root cause of all the suspension crap.
Old 04-11-15, 12:03 PM
re-rx7
Pit Crew

Replaced inner and outer tie rods, new figs rack bushings, bought some Work wheels and got them fixed and nothing. Still vibrated. Finally I broke down and tightened the steering rack nut. HOLY CRAP! almost all gone. The only remainder is the bad tires.
Old 04-11-15, 04:15 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Probably a good time to look at your steering rack bushings too.

Just a matter of raising the car, lay on your back and have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the rack and see if it moves at all (it shouldnt). I did all the changes you said and more including the bearings and rack bushings and I still have a slight shake. So I know annoying this can be. I went to stock wheels and its still there, so I know its not wheel related.
Old 04-13-15, 03:16 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

+10! When I first say my Rack move (the one on the car!) I was shocked.... New bushings asap....

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Probably a good time to look at your steering rack bushings too.

Just a matter of raising the car, lay on your back and have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the rack and see if it moves at all (it shouldnt). I did all the changes you said and more including the bearings and rack bushings and I still have a slight shake. So I know annoying this can be. I went to stock wheels and its still there, so I know its not wheel related.
Old 04-13-15, 03:47 PM
2GSTony
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by re-rx7
Replaced inner and outer tie rods, new figs rack bushings, bought some Work wheels and got them fixed and nothing. Still vibrated. Finally I broke down and tightened the steering rack nut. HOLY CRAP! almost all gone. The only remainder is the bad tires.
steering rack nut? are you referring to this one? or are you talking about a different one

Old 04-14-15, 12:11 PM
re-rx7
Pit Crew

That's the one.
Old 06-01-15, 11:55 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Where is the steering rack nut located? And does anyone have a link to a cheap replacement for the steering rack bushings? I've been getting alot of vibrations when slowing down (not speeding up) from 60 to 55 mph. I have 19 G35 rays that I already rebalanced and got an alignment. I also just got huncentric rings to see if it'll help. I know I should've gotten the rings when I got the wheels but I never had a problem with vibrations until now.
Old 06-01-15, 12:34 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSTony
steering rack nut? are you referring to this one? or are you talking about a different one

Someone refresh my memory but is there any cons of tightening this nut? and can this be done to an 01 430 or just 300/400?
Old 06-03-15, 07:25 AM
LexusK
Racer

DMPesso, know where that nut is located? Obviously on the driver side, but where exactly? And in that picture, is it supposed to be all the way near the end of the bolt like that?
Old 06-03-15, 11:36 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusK
DMPesso, know where that nut is located? Obviously on the driver side, but where exactly? And in that picture, is it supposed to be all the way near the end of the bolt like that?
Not sure but last I saw it was more screwed in and didn't stick out as much. Also your shaking can be caused from the size or weight of the rims. I know that whenever I had any wheels besides stock on my GS I got some shakes. Yea there are some people here that say they get no shakes with aftermarket wheels but for me it never happened and that was with everything replaced in the front end. The shakes are caused by rotors, tie rods, worn bushings or control arms, alignment or the rims and tires. If you make sure all those are in good condition then it's your wheels bro
Old 06-03-15, 11:40 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

personally I think the GS only drives like a dream on the stock 16" wheels it was DESIGNED ON, as sad as that is, even when I had the 17 inch rims that came on my 430 I hated the harsh ride and sold them to get stupid 16" rims and it feels like a new car compared to the 17s. This car has a weak suspension and cant exactly handle larger wheels then what it was designed on compared to other cars I have driven. But in reality any time I put wheels on a car that it wasnt built on it always made it drive SLIGHTLY different, the steering wheel would never be as sturdy and would twitch sometimes.
Old 06-03-15, 12:35 PM
LexusK
Racer

I started getting these shakes after I had the front driver side wheel fixed. It had a minor crack in it. The shop rewelded and made sure it was sanded back down and smooth and balanced again. I've had a shop check the rotors and they said it was fine. I guess it's time to replace all the other parts. It's a 98 and I just hit 122k miles on it. Everything is still OEM and original except for the balljoints which I replaced with OEM ones 4 or 5 years ago.

Last edited by LexusK; 06-03-15 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 01:17 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

If it happened after they did that you can pretty much guanratee they didn't do it right. And refurbishing wheels is never recommended unless you have some forged rims. You need NEW wheels. Preferably OEM and you will feel a night and day difference. This car sucks with anything but OEM wheels

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Steering wheel shaking thread...