GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Please Help! Power Steering Problems!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-15, 02:33 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Link works fine on the computer, you must be on phone try this;

www.youtube.com/watch?v=21E-XzxJXo4

dont mind his stupid fart can

also, when you turn your wheel it works the ps pump which in exchange changes the idle of the car which changes the belt turning which changes how it turns the pulley on any other accessory thus effecting the sound of any other pulley. This above video sounds 100% exactly what your sounds like.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 04-02-15 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 02:44 PM
TheGringo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The link above worked. That is a very similar sound. I am going to poke around the engine some more in the next couple days. I have had a couple shops look at it but I just found a very highly rated Lexus specialty shop in the area I might take it to if I give up on it. Lol
Old 04-19-15, 12:22 AM
TheGringo
Driver School Candidate

I haven't had much time to mess with the car but I did change the trans fluid and the noise remained. The trans fluid didn't look nasty enough for me to think that the filter was clogged and causing the noise.

Today the noise got noticeably louder and my VSC,ABS,Brake lights turned on. I ended up getting stuck in traffic with the car idling and my radio turned off and I noticed that the climate control was flickering. I put the car in nuetral and kept the RPMs up to help keep the car charged. I quickly plugged in a scan tool and noticed that the volts were way to low and showing 10-11 at idle. When the RPMs went up the car showed 12.2. I have read that the VSC,ABS, and Brake lights will turn on if there is a charging/battery problem. I am pretty sure the alternator needs to be replaced.
Old 04-20-15, 09:39 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGringo
I ended up getting stuck in traffic with the car idling and my radio turned off and I noticed that the climate control was flickering. I put the car in nuetral and kept the RPMs up to help keep the car charged. I quickly plugged in a scan tool and noticed that the volts were way to low and showing 10-11 at idle. When the RPMs went up the car showed 12.2. I have read that the VSC,ABS, and Brake lights will turn on if there is a charging/battery problem. I am pretty sure the alternator needs to be replaced.
Weird. This exact thing happened to me today. I was stopped at a light and the battery light came on the dash. Then the radio cut out, wipers got really slow, VSC and ABS came on. When the light turned green I gave it some extra gas and everything sprang back to life.

I'm not experiencing the same sounds as you though.

Something is wrong with my serpentine belt that is causing accessories to slip when added load is on the belt (turning quickly, A/C is turned on, alternator charging). I think my problem is that the tension arm isn't applying enough force to prevent slippage, or an accessory pulley is seized causing higher than normal load.

In your situation I would take the belt off and turn each of the pulleys by hand. They should all move fairly easily and smoothly.
Old 04-22-15, 10:02 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGringo
I am pretty sure the alternator needs to be replaced.
Yep, I was having the same problems. I had my alternator rebuilt today and it's back to normal.
Old 04-22-15, 11:30 PM
TheGringo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the update. I am going to try and get it done in the next day or 2.
Old 04-26-15, 11:39 AM
TheGringo
Driver School Candidate

So I had my alternator changed and since the power steering pump is under warranty we changed that also. I am happy to report that the noise is 90% gone. I still have a little power steering noise when I turn the wheel at very low speeds but I am hoping it is just air that needs to bleed out. I might also order the suction line that goes from the reservoir to the pump because it looks a little old and brittle. The other night I was datalogging and noticed that the car dropped down to 11.1 volts at idle. I did have just about every accessory on tho. Maybe my battery is getting weak? I will replace it if the car is having a noticeably hard time starting. For now it is still starting normal. Now I wonder if it was the alternator the whole time or if the PS leaked on the alternator and caused it to die. Hopefully the later or else that means I wasted a ton of money replacing just about every part for the power steering system.