GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*Write Up W/ Pics* On what may fix your Speedometer and Odometer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 03:42 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post *Write Up W/ Pics* On what may fix your Speedometer and Odometer!

I have been getting a lot of messages recently about what I did to fix my speedometer and odometer. Now many people have or have had this issue of their speedometer and odometer not incrementing miles, basically this is what I did to fix my problem! No need to drop the trans or replace any of the vehicle speed sensor(s)

Tools needed: Jumper wire or paper clip, Needle nose pliers

1. First go to the diagnostics port under the hood.

2.Then flip it open and inside you should have a short pin. Mine is marked purple so you can see it.

3. Now, your going to take out the short pin, and do it carefully. DO NO DROP IT. Because it's hard to find trust me, this is where your going to need your needle nose.

4. Now that the short pin is out, you want to look on top of the diagnostics cap, there should be a legend. On there it's going to have to locations of pins that we will jump, this is when your gonna need your paper clip, or jumper wire.

5. Now the two pins you are going to jump are E1 to Tc. Start with E1 first, then connect to Tc second. Using the squares on the legend to find out where your locations are. Its really just an exact image. Now I had to kinda wedge my paper clip to make it stay, cause when you jump E1 to Tc, you are going to want them to stay in contact the whole time. So if you can get a thin, long paper clip thats best, or your jumper wiper, which ever

6. Now that you have E1 pinned to Tc, you want to put the key in your ignition and turn it to ACC. Once all the lights on the dash are done flashing, you want to keep stepping on the brake 5-8 times, after a while, you will hear a loud beep. Then the dash will light up a red BRAKE light. once that comes up, let off the brake, wait about 5 seconds, then go and take the pin out of E1 to Tc, then install the short pin back, turn on the car and drive it. You should have your speedo and odo back on!!!
Please note: ***********So when you are pressing the brake pedal, you want to make sure you press it 8 or more times within 5 seconds. ***********

Attached below are more detailed instructions on the procedure from Toyota.
Hope this helps and serves as a more detailed way to diagnose or fix this issue.
Attached Thumbnails *Write Up W/ Pics* On what may fix your Speedometer and Odometer!-speedo.jpg   *Write Up W/ Pics* On what may fix your Speedometer and Odometer!-speedo-2.jpg   *Write Up W/ Pics* On what may fix your Speedometer and Odometer!-speedo-3.jpg   *Write Up W/ Pics* On what may fix your Speedometer and Odometer!-speedo-4.jpg