GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Squeak front front right wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 01:57 AM
Champers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak front front right wheel

Hi guys.

The other day I noticed a noise coming from the front right wheel. It's most apparent at low speeds, and it is a constant whir that comes and goes as the wheel turns, almost like it is happening at one point per revolution. It disappears with speed. I'm not sure what it sounds like outside the car but I have driven around a quiet park window down head out and I can't pick it. I tried to see if it was loose nuts/studs but they're tight, and a wheel bearing should be a constant sound that gets louder ad it gets faster. Another thought I had is a warped rotor but I have no idea how that'd happen because it's my daily and it's mostly highway driven (no braking). I'm going to have a wheel off closer look next Wednesday, but does anybody have any suggestions to particularly look out for?

Thanks a heap.
Old 02-28-15, 02:44 AM
Foob
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hi had the same problem as you previously

could you also feel it when you use the brakes? like your rubing against something? Easy way to tell is if it is your rotors, then there would be a line about half an inch around the end of your rotors just before the empty space between where the rotor ends and where the inside of the wheels start. It should follow all the way around the rotor.

Check this post out:https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-second-generation/773784-weird-grungy-sound-from-i-guess-tires.html

Hope it helps.
Old 02-28-15, 05:03 AM
D3V3LOP3R
Driver

Does it go away when you brake? I had something similar, and it was something that was on my rotor. I had them re-surfaced and the problem went away.
Old 02-28-15, 05:26 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Brake wear sensor check your brake pads
Old 02-28-15, 02:49 PM
Fromthesha
Rookie

Default Likely the brakes

It could be the guide pins for the caliper aren't running smooth
Old 02-28-15, 10:07 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

I get this from time to time. I usually get the dealer to lube up my shims and inspect it. I recently had it a few weeks back and I suspect for me it is due to winter conditions and build up from road debris. It resolved itself after I became more aware of it (washed the car more).
Old 03-01-15, 03:15 AM
Champers
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Foob, it isn't the rotor being worn down, that was the first and easiest thing I checked, I used my key to feel for a groove (as the brakes were hot still) and there's no groove on the rotor.

D3V3LOP3R, the noise remains when I brake. It doesn't get more intense or change any at all. The rhythm of the whir remains the same and only changes with speed.

sam12345, that was the second thing I checked for. My rear brake pads need replacing so that's happening already. That would be a constant squeal under braking rather than a repetitive whir wouldn't it? And the front wheel has got heaps left.

Fromthesha, thats actually not a bad suggestion, or even a caliper pin coming loose and allowing the caliper itself to shift ever so slightly side to side, rocking back and forth causing the rhythm, and as it gets faster it smooths out.

Measured, I saw a video on youtube for cleaning up squeaky brake where you sand/grind a chamfer on the edge of the leading, inner and rear side of the pad to stop what he referred to as 'boogers' getting caught at the edge and squeaking. I'm thinking of doing this too at the same time. And your case sounds familiar to mine as I really don't wash the car as often as I should and I am always driving through road works too.

I'll update you guys on the outcome on my Wednesday,

Cheers.
Old 03-01-15, 10:04 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be your wheel bearings
Old 03-03-15, 11:10 PM
Champers
Driver School Candidate

Default Inspection

Hi guys.

Had a look today. Took the wheel, caliper, bracket and rotor off and had a feel of the hub. No movement left or right and they felt smooth while turning and listening so i'm not worried about wheel bearings just yet. I did notice one of the guide pins on the left side the boot had come off and the inside was relatively dry so I cleaned that up and regreased it. I sanded the edges of the brake pads and the face lightly with 80 grit paper then wiped them over with a clean cloth. The rotors are very smooth so to get them resurfaced is on the list now unless I do a bbk upgrade (ls400). At the end of all this the brakes are now quiet and don't squeal and don't whir. So I don't really know what caused it but i'm going to assume it was brake dust or something caught in the pads themselves or a high spot?

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 03-09-15, 05:25 PM
Fromthesha
Rookie

Default Good to hear!

A dry guide pin can cause one side to bind causing uneven wear and a right or left high spot, so it really could have been all of the above. It's good to hear it's fixed though.
I've had this happen a couple of times, but always because I, much like many techs out there, thought a brake job was just slapping in pads and rotors.