GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying Advice- 1998 GS300 or 1998 LS400

Old 11-27-14, 11:18 AM
Speedyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Buying Advice- 1998 GS300 or 1998 LS400

Hi all,

I am looking to get either the 1998 GS300 or LS400. The GS300 cost $4800 while the LS400 cost $4273. The GS300 has 96kmiles while the LS400 has 137.5kmiles on the clock. I do not have any information yet on whether regular servicing was done, timing belt replace.
Which one will cost lesser in the long run mechanically in terms of maintenance, chance of expensive parts breaking down, etc? What are the things I have to take note of? I am looking potentially in a long term ownership.
Which one would you pick?

Appreciate all your input!

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Speedyz; 11-27-14 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-27-14, 12:07 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The best thing to do would be to start searching the GS and LS forums and read any FAQ or common problems threads. That will give you the best idea of what to expect.

I'd ask for maintenance receipts and check CarFax for service history. Previous preventative maintenance is everything when buying a used luxury car, so I'd probably choose the one with the most maintenance history.

Other things to consider:
- A '98 LS looks way more dated than a '98 GS.
- The LS is a flagship luxury sedan. Normally, that means it has more features and gadgets that have the potential to fail. Judging by the number of old LS's on the road, though, I'd say you don't have too much to worry about.

Either way, both are solid cars that can provide years of service with basic maintenance.
Old 11-27-14, 05:54 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Both are good cars that will last along time. I have a GS300 and its frankly a little underpowered. I'd try to find a GS400 or 430 instead. The GS will be a little sportier but won't feel as big inside. Just depends on what you are doing for.
Old 11-27-14, 08:16 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a tough call. The 400 has always looked more substantial to me. Very upscale and "Germanic". The 98 was a good year. They updated the styling a little bit.

I test drove a 91 years before I bought my GS and it was a magic carpet ride on wheels. Amazing. You could see the bumps and ripples ahead of you, but you couldn't feel them. Quite a nimble car for its size.

The GS looks a little dated too nowadays... and gimmicky from some angles... those taillights.... Japanese designers trying too hard. But way more nimble and sporty compared to the LS. It's a road rocket and a very brash car.

Take your pick.

Last edited by MattyG; 11-27-14 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-27-14, 10:37 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The LS400 is 1st gen engine and will have more issues mechanically. That's not to say the GS is completely niggle free, but there are some specific leak problems with the LS400; added on to likely worn out suspensions on both models.

I think you should look at least at the LS430 if you're considering the LS.

However, the decision between LS and GS are completely different classes that you should decide beyond the mechanicals.

The GS is the "midsize" (if you can call it that) choice, versus the LS is the full size sedan.

Accordingly, the driving in the GS is slighly a small car like; and less boat like.
The LS is more boatlike and will isolate you even more from the road and you will feel you're driving in your Lazyboy chair. So the GS is a few ticks closer on the dial being a "driver's car" (but nowhere near a real sports car). So I think an analogy will be you will feel you're driving with mittens on, versus say boxing gloves with the LS.

So decide first on what type of car you want as factor #1; then look at the mechanicals.

<-owned 1990 LS400 98gs300 03LS430
Old 11-28-14, 12:07 PM
Urbandplmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get the GS300:
There's more room to work in the engine bay if you're a diy-er.
It's a good balance between comfort and sport (comparing the two).
I like the styling of the GS over the LS.
The 2JZ has more performance options. It's basically a Supra with 4 doors.
Long-term, you'll spend less on an engine rebuild because there's less motor (I6-V8)
Old 11-29-14, 12:03 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

all i can say is that the LS (98-00 in particular with the vvt-i and 5 speed) is one incredible piece of machinery... it has the special ability to have you end a journey more rested than when you started it, it's so comfortable! electric seat belts, head rests, steering column, there isn't a single operation that can't be accomplished without the push of a button. it will get over 30 mpg on the highway (if you can avoid the temptation of the incredibly quiet and smooth ride even at over 100) yet will do 0-60 in nearly 6 seconds flat. not to mention the only things that have gone wrong with mine in its entire 15 year existence have been the radio LCD which i replaced quite easily and the telescopic steering adjustment motor. all the major components are generally very reliable if they've been well taken care of.
Old 11-29-14, 09:08 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Some good points all around here.

The big LS is a cruiser meant for pleasant quiet commutes with no hassles where you can drive like a reasonable person.

If I didn't have to put up with the bad driving environment in AB, I'd get the LS for refinement, power and presence. The GS300 is great for future mods but it isn't going to match the LS's refinement and V8 power.

And there's the "image" issue of course: LS = ole fogie golf club limo. GS = a retro-nostalgia for millienials... has it shown on GT Auto yet?
Old 11-30-14, 05:37 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stroock639
all i can say is that the LS (98-00 in particular with the vvt-i and 5 speed) is one incredible piece of machinery... it has the special ability to have you end a journey more rested than when you started it, it's so comfortable! electric seat belts, head rests, steering column, there isn't a single operation that can't be accomplished without the push of a button. it will get over 30 mpg on the highway (if you can avoid the temptation of the incredibly quiet and smooth ride even at over 100) yet will do 0-60 in nearly 6 seconds flat. not to mention the only things that have gone wrong with mine in its entire 15 year existence have been the radio LCD which i replaced quite easily and the telescopic steering adjustment motor. all the major components are generally very reliable if they've been well taken care of.
Over 30mpg on the highway? I highly doubt that. That's over 5 MPG over its rating--which is before the MPG standards were changed. You may have mis-calculated if you did your MPG's manually. Just hard to believe that's all.
Old 12-01-14, 10:48 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Good gas, good driving habits have turned in results in the 29MPG range with the VVTi and extra gear that is in the 98+. Our '97 on this current trip even with ethanol just did 26.7 MPG with 197K on it. Thanks also to the low drag the car has. Is hard to believe.
Old 12-01-14, 11:22 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

The LS is a great highway cruiser and driving the speed limit will gain you incredable fuel mileage.
Very roomy interior. I can see myself in one.��
Old 12-03-14, 04:57 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Not fond of the Briddish but here's an ole Top Gear review comparing just these two cars. Before the buffoonery era of Jeremy Clarkson and his Astons and Jaguars.

Old 12-03-14, 05:04 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i'd say get an ls4.
Old 12-03-14, 06:50 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the GS300 over a LS400, you will probably save some money and I think the LS400 + LS430 are some of the most boring looking cars on the road (I know, sour grapes since I'm just a GS driver right? :P)

Why not a GS400/430?
Old 12-03-14, 08:08 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I think it really depends on what the OP is looking for in a car. Ava's GS has gigantic wheels stuffed under its body so it's basically a hobby car. Are we talking mods and stance or just an everyday car?

The GS is also criticized for being "boring". Yet all cars age, the LS is looking pretty good even for an ole man's car.

Eg. Just saw a black GS300 in my small city and it looked "boring". This is what other drivers are seeing.

But last week I saw a LS400 probably a 2000 and it had "presence". I had my eyeballs on it. Does that make me a boring person? Not really. I just appreciate great styling.

Are MB, Audi or BM's boring or are they graceful and not playing to gimmicky trendiness? Not everyone's doing VIP and 21" wheels and Yakuza curtains.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying Advice- 1998 GS300 or 1998 LS400