GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need taillight LED bulb help with new Spec-D lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 11:31 PM
lexo101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need taillight LED bulb help with new Spec-D lights

Hi I just bought a set of the Spec-D LED taillights for my 98 GS, that look like the Sonar. I haven't installed them yet because you need to reuse some of the bulbs and I would like to get a set of LED's to match the top.

Here is the install video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNeN_LFiH74#t=44

Here are the lights http://www.matrixracing.com/p-16517-...ome-sonar.aspx

It looks like the bottom 2 in the clear section get reused, but don't we only have 1 backup reverse bulb and does that mean the other bulb is the turn signal that I would need to get a yellow/amber for, and a pure white for the backup reverse? Would the turn signal be the further right on the right side and reverse far left on the left side?

I don't want anything super bright and this was suggested to me from ijdmtoy

Reverse http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Super-Brigh...s-p/20-022.htm

License Plate Xenon White http://store.ijdmtoy.com/5-SMD-T10-L...s-p/10-011.htm

I'm assuming I need a turn signal after this gets answered, http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Error-Free-...s-p/20-009.htm

Do I need resistors for any of these bulbs?

Any help and quick replies would be much appreciated, because I need to order these asap. Also any other bulb alternatives that are not as pricey as these and would look nice in the housing (would need a chrome housing to blend in) would be great also, because these are pretty expensive.

Last edited by lexo101; 11-05-14 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-05-14, 01:44 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lexo101
...don't we only have 1 backup reverse bulb?
Yes, 1 per side.

...and does that mean the other bulb is the turn signal that I would need to get a yellow/amber for?
Yes

...and a pure white for the backup reverse?
Yes

Would the turn signal be the further right on the right side and reverse far left on the left side?
Turn signal goes to the outside of the car so vehicles in the lanes near you can see them. Reverse bulbs go in the inner location since they only need to light up what is behind you.

I'm assuming I need a turn signal after this gets answered (?)
In theory "Error free" or 'Resistor free" bulbs eliminate the needs for a resistor on that bulb to fix the fast blink issue. They will also keep the dash indicator from signaling a bulb is out for all bulbs replaced with them.

Do I need resistors for any of these bulbs?
If you get the error free turn signal and reverse bulbs you will only need a resistor for the LED taillights themselves. This is for the dash indicator. If you can tolerate the bulb out indicator you only need a resistor and/or error free bulb for the turn signals to slow them down to the correct speed.
Old 11-05-14, 02:41 PM
lexo101
Driver

In theory "Error free" or 'Resistor free" bulbs eliminate the needs for a resistor on that bulb to fix the fast blink issue. They will also keep the dash indicator from signaling a bulb is out for all bulbs replaced with them.

If you get the error free turn signal and reverse bulbs you will only need a resistor for the LED taillights themselves. This is for the dash indicator. If you can tolerate the bulb out indicator you only need a resistor and/or error free bulb for the turn signals to slow them down to the correct speed.
So I found equivalent bulbs but they don't have "Error free" or 'Resistor free" listed. So you are saying I would only need resistors for the turn signal bulbs because they blink and could blink rapidly due to the car thinking they are low voltage, right? The error message might show up from the license plate and reverse though?

Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-05-14, 09:23 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I am not sure if the license plate bulb will trigger the failed bulb indicator on the dash but the reverse, brake, tail, and turn signals definitely will. Only the turn signals NEED a resistor to operate correctly (not blink fast).
Old 11-06-14, 02:48 AM
lexo101
Driver

I ended up going with what links I listed. I didn't want to deal with any issues. Thanks again for the replies Debonair.