GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 gs300 some issues need some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 04:26 PM
VIPgseries
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 gs300 some issues need some insight.

Okay first and foremost Hi CL new to the forum and I finally got my gs300 I've been wanting. Sold my 07 Frontier to get the gs300, with a child on the way i wanted my babygirl to be in a roomy and comfortable ride plus a little class with it also. A little info on the car it's a 99 gs300 with 280,000 miles on the chassis, engine has 136,000 or so on the engine which came out of a 05 as to what I was told. So I have some issues first one is the engine light. Have a p0446 code only and I've researched and found that it could be the purge valve, or the canister, or the hoses, or the fuel cap. Hoses are checked a few were disconnected and rotten so I replaced them as well as the fuel cap. Engine light still hasn't gone away. So next will be the valve, and if not the canister. Second transmission having a delay from first to second. Before it would shift hard now it just delays on the first to second. If I floor it at low speeds it at around 2,500 rpm it like looses power then switches gear and keeps climbing speed at a slow pace. Any ideas in what it could be? Third is the tail lamp indicator. I know the brake light on the spoiler is out, and I also know it's aftermarket due that it has screws and the wires are tapped in to one of the plugs. My question is if I replace the trunk to a non spoiler one are the wiring harnesses the same? As in I don't want the indicator on my dash so I want to do it everything legit, and not take the bulb out from the cluster. I'm asking this because I cut the wires off from the spoiler brake light and taped them off for now hoping the indicator will go away but no luck. Indicator comes on when I pressed on the brake light and all the bulbs been changed except the spoiler one.
Old 09-29-14, 05:00 PM
702GS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VIPgseries
Okay first and foremost Hi CL new to the forum and I finally got my gs300 I've been wanting. Sold my 07 Frontier to get the gs300, with a child on the way i wanted my babygirl to be in a roomy and comfortable ride plus a little class with it also.

A little info on the car it's a 99 gs300 with 280,000 miles on the chassis, engine has 136,000 or so on the engine which came out of a 05 as to what I was told. So I have some issues first one is the engine light. Have a p0446 code only and I've researched and found that it could be the purge valve, or the canister, or the hoses, or the fuel cap. Hoses are checked a few were disconnected and rotten so I replaced them as well as the fuel cap. Engine light still hasn't gone away. So next will be the valve, and if not the canister.

Second transmission having a delay from first to second. Before it would shift hard now it just delays on the first to second. If I floor it at low speeds it at around 2,500 rpm it like looses power then switches gear and keeps climbing speed at a slow pace. Any ideas in what it could be? Third is the tail lamp indicator. I know the brake light on the spoiler is out, and I also know it's aftermarket due that it has screws and the wires are tapped in to one of the plugs.

My question is if I replace the trunk to a non spoiler one are the wiring harnesses the same? As in I don't want the indicator on my dash so I want to do it everything legit, and not take the bulb out from the cluster. I'm asking this because I cut the wires off from the spoiler brake light and taped them off for now hoping the indicator will go away but no luck. Indicator comes on when I pressed on the brake light and all the bulbs been changed except the spoiler one.
Alright, now I can read what you wrote and will try and answer..

Your code, you just need to replace everything on the list, cheapest to most expensive first? Or just do them all at once.

Sounds like the old tranny is on her way out, did they swap in a tranny with the engine swap? Also any more details on who did the swap?

The backyard wing install and brake light issue, sounds like you need to dig in deeper and rid your car of any shoemaker edits the past owner has done.

Last edited by 702GS; 09-29-14 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 05:29 PM
VIPgseries
Driver School Candidate

The swap was done by the previous owner. He said he had bought it from a friend with the engine bad so they replaced it so I wouldn't know if they swapped it also since they own a salvage yard. The car runs perfect it's just the 1st to 2nd gear. If I floor it on 2nd gear it won't drop a gear it just keeps going at a normal steady pace. The wing well I was trying to look for the harness on a lexus website and it seems there's only one harness. I'll have to look for one with out the spoiler in a salvage yard hopefully I can tell the difference
Old 09-29-14, 08:01 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I doubt that the wing is causing the taillight indicator. Get a friend to stand behind your car when you press the brakes and look for a bulb out. If there aren't any, it's likely that the third brake light bulbs were replaced with the wrong wattage bulb. They need to be replaced with 168 type bulbs so enough current is pulled to keep the indicator off. It's common to replace them with near identical lower wattage 194s and still have the light on.
Old 09-29-14, 08:16 PM
itztwinki3
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

there are 5 bulbs that are at the upper brake light by the rear windows inside the car. i had the same problem replaced all the bulbs indicator was still on to find out 2 of the 5 was out upper vbrake light
Old 09-30-14, 02:14 PM
VIPgseries
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itztwinki3
there are 5 bulbs that are at the upper brake light by the rear windows inside the car. i had the same problem replaced all the bulbs indicator was still on to find out 2 of the 5 was out upper vbrake light
I checked those this morning and replaced them. Went ahead and took the bulb behind the cluster. I guess I'll be upgrading every light to led.
Old 09-30-14, 07:49 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

For your first problem with the code; you said code did not go away. From experience, the codes rarely go away. Simple question, but based on the way you wrote your story, it's something you should clarify: did you mean you cleared the code, but it came back, or did you just expect the code to clear itself?
Old 10-01-14, 12:52 PM
VIPgseries
Driver School Candidate

I expected to go away like most cars are once it's fixed usually after driving it will go away. But now that I fixed loose hoses. I have p0446 and p0441 as well as a p1755
Old 10-05-14, 06:44 PM
VIPgseries
Driver School Candidate

Well update on the car. Replaced the purge valve erased the codes and I've already ran the car for about 140 miles and no check engine light for the emissions. I still have the code p1755 and p0770 question if I replace shift solenoid e will that take care of the code p0770 and p1755? Also I've searched for that solenoid and nothing does anyone have the part number to it?
Old 10-17-14, 09:55 AM
VIPgseries
Driver School Candidate

No part number for the shift solenoid E?
Old 10-17-14, 10:39 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPgseries
Second transmission having a delay from first to second. Before it would shift hard now it just delays on the first to second. If I floor it at low speeds it at around 2,500 rpm it like looses power then switches gear and keeps climbing speed at a slow pace. Any ideas in what it could be?
Sounds to me like you're skipping from 1st gear to 3rd gear. I had that problem and fixed it, but I had a code on mine, P0763. Read this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-fixed-4.html
Old 10-17-14, 10:58 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the brake light indicator, there is a module in the trunk that you can just unplug one of the wires. I did this on mine.

Look in the DIY (pinned) 2nd GS threads. Theres a link in there to a very good site with oodles of stuff that can be fixed easy.
Old 10-17-14, 11:36 AM
VIPgseries
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wise2k
Sounds to me like you're skipping from 1st gear to 3rd gear. I had that problem and fixed it, but I had a code on mine, P0763. Read this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...d-fixed-4.html
Well I had the p1755 and p0770. Now it's just p0770 which is shift solenoid E or how in the stickies on of the All 2gs FAQs it's the SLU valve. Since I'm not fully mechanical inclined a shop near by said he would charge me $160 to replace the valve as long as I provide the part. But before he installs it he would inspect the transmission incase if there is anything else wrong with it.
Old 10-23-14, 07:52 AM
VIPgseries
Driver School Candidate

So I found this part number and I think this one is it. 35280-30040 not sure if anyone can verify I have the right part number before I buy it.
Old 10-29-14, 06:06 PM
VIPgseries
Driver School Candidate

I have another issue that just came up. A/c won't engage at low idle, battery light comes on for two seconds, and stereo acts up a bit. Once rpms are higher a/c works perfectly. I'm guessing it's the compressor going out...

Quick Reply: 99 gs300 some issues need some insight.