GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Parking Car Outside...Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-14, 04:54 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Car Outside...Need Advice

So, I will be moving out soon, and most of the places I am looking at do not offer garage parking. This means my 99 GS300 will need to be parked in a driveway. I also live in MN, and as I'm sure you guys are aware, we get plenty of snow.

I've been thinking about what to do in this situation. There are car covers you can get to protect from UV, rain, the elements in general. I've heard these are pretty good ones, and won't scratch your car when it's windy out like cheap covers from autozone, wallmart, etc. will.

Or I could just accept that this is a 15 year old car and already has minor rock chips on the hood and some minor scratches/scuffs and just leave it.

Another thing to take into consideration is that I have unlimited washes each month at Holday Gas stations. It's the good wash, that comes with triple foam wax and all the extra's, not the base wash. I try to get it washed there at least once a week, preferably twice. Also, I get a ramp to park in for work, so its not really exposed when parked while I'm at work.

So, what do you guys think I should do? The $300-$400 for one of those covers doesn't mean a whole lot to me, if it protects my vehicle good. I'm trying to take into consideration rain, UV/sunlight, and of course snow. I'm fine with taking the time to remove the cover and put it back on, as I only work part time and don't drive a lot. Or do you guys think with washing it twice a week it will be okay with no cover?
Old 08-11-14, 05:43 PM
Iparkcars
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should start by getting a very good wash,clay bar,polish and wash before the winter comes. I personally don't do drive thru was those places don't always clean the brushes.this can cause some major scratches especially on a black car.i do hand washes with two buckets. It's going be hard to keep the car clean and cared for without a garage in those conditions If you choose to use the car wash make sure you do a under carriage cleaning to keep the fame from rusting out because the salt on the roads when it snows
Old 08-11-14, 06:49 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ agreed. A good wax and polish goes a long way when it comes to keeping the car mint during the winter months. You can invest in a car cover but if its your DD, you ill find some moments where it will be annoying to cover and just say "F it!"

My car sits outside day in and day out, and the previous owner never washed it properly so I got it with a slight fade. But after a few wax sessions, I was able to get it back to show quality. Invest in a good wax, and the time to do it; dont settle for what the car wash offers. Makes a hell of a difference
Old 08-11-14, 08:55 PM
Trogdor796
Rookie

So, I've heard that the bushes on car washes can cause scratches. Thankfully the one I go through is a touchless one. While those ones don't clean as good, I don't have to worry about scratches. It also has an underbody wash so the frame and bottom of the car gets cleaned.

I also try to do a hand wax every 6 months in addition to going through the car wash a few times a week.

So you guys think between those things it will be fine? This car has been driven in the winter here for the past 10 years as well. No rust (yet...)
Old 08-12-14, 01:13 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I park outside and do a lot of driving, I also live in MN. No rust and paint looks great, I just make sure to wash a minimum of once a week, I will probably re wax before winter this time around though
Old 08-12-14, 03:00 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
I park outside and do a lot of driving, I also live in MN. No rust and paint looks great, I just make sure to wash a minimum of once a week, I will probably re wax before winter this time around though
I agree with this guy
Old 08-12-14, 05:22 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

If your car is a daily driver, a car cover would be a pain to put on and take off every day. You never want to put a cover on your car if it is wet as can damage the paint and possibly freeze together in the winter causing more problems.
I would recommend you just keep it clean and waxed, but be careful of washing it in freezing weather and parking outside, as the doors, windows and locks could freeze shut.
Old 08-12-14, 02:32 PM
Briand_OH
Driver

My $0.02:

I've used NOAH car covers outside for invalid, parked cars in Akron, OH for years. Not perfect, but they are NOT $300, rather ~$200. It takes a while to get and they often do not outlive their 4 year wtty. But AutoAnything is the vendor I bought from and they facilitate wtty returns. Agree if daily driver they are PIA. Here, you've got to shake 'em often for tree flowers in spring and leaves and acorns in fall.

Car washes for DD good choice. If you're buying habitat, there are multitude of car shelters available from fabric to steel that aren't too bad?
Old 08-13-14, 07:45 AM
Lexusjg1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to hand wash as much as you can. Those touch less cars washes don't get the job done. Not for me at least.