GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Oil leak GS300

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-14, 06:30 PM
Toby22
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak GS300

What are the common area for oil leaks on our cars? I just did my first oil change on my 99 GS300 with 175k miles which i got from my dad couple months ago and found oil around the oil plug (it was not dripping oil but the surrounding was covered in it). Then i check the dipstick and it was very low, then i saw what looks to be oil leaking in the area picture below

This little area had fresh oil, looks to be coming from behind the timing belt?

Underneath the car this was covered in oil but i'm not sure where it's coming from up top (no drips on the ground)

Thanks in advance
Old 08-02-14, 06:31 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Take timing cover off car and start it and see if VVTi is leaking
Old 08-02-14, 06:46 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by burny
Take timing cover off car and start it and see if VVTi is leaking
Either the cam seals or the vvti pulley itself as stated above.
Old 08-02-14, 08:02 PM
Toby22
Driver School Candidate

Cool thanks guys!

So cam seals and vvti pulley most likely cause of leak then, i'll look more into that.

Last edited by Toby22; 08-02-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-02-14, 08:19 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently changed the timing belt on my '00 GS300. It also had oils leaks very similar to yours. At the time it had 184k miles on it. As it turns out, I needed to change both the cam seals and both the valve cover gaskets. The crank seal wasn't leaking. At least I don't think it was but its hard to tell as oil from leaking cam seals will pool at the bottom front of the motor under the crank seal. I changed it anyway since I was already in the motor.

Lastly, I replaced the VVT-i pulley. You might want to check the plug valley. If it has oil in it, that's a sign that the valve cover gaskets may need replacing. That oil on your water pump is another sign that it is probably your valve cover gasket. Bottom line is with that many miles, I'd replace all of them. btw, when was the timing belt/water pump last replaced. If you have to replace those seals and gaskets you may as well replace those and the plugs and wires as well. These are all moderately easy DIY jobs. There's plenty of help on this forum.
Old 08-02-14, 08:24 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

im having the exact same problem on the exact same areas ahah.
Old 08-02-14, 10:28 PM
Toby22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
I recently changed the timing belt on my '00 GS300. It also had oils leaks very similar to yours. At the time it had 184k miles on it. As it turns out, I needed to change both the cam seals and both the valve cover gaskets. The crank seal wasn't leaking. At least I don't think it was but its hard to tell as oil from leaking cam seals will pool at the bottom front of the motor under the crank seal. I changed it anyway since I was already in the motor.

Lastly, I replaced the VVT-i pulley. You might want to check the plug valley. If it has oil in it, that's a sign that the valve cover gaskets may need replacing. That oil on your water pump is another sign that it is probably your valve cover gasket. Bottom line is with that many miles, I'd replace all of them. btw, when was the timing belt/water pump last replaced. If you have to replace those seals and gaskets you may as well replace those and the plugs and wires as well. These are all moderately easy DIY jobs. There's plenty of help on this forum.
Awesome, thanks a lot man exactly what i was looking for.

Honestly i'm not sure what's been done but most of those things you listed I know were never done. To be on the safe side, i'll get the following done cam seals, both the valve cover gaskets, timing belt, water pump, front main seal, oil pump and VVT-I pulley. Any idea how much to get this done from a shop/dealer? I won't even attempt to do these since i'm a noob That and i do not have the tools or option to have the car down for too long atm.
Old 08-02-14, 11:10 PM
rofflehous
Driver

I also replaced my cam seals front and rear main and rebuilt the vvti pulley. Well a buddy of mine did. Really the best thing to do is get the gte swap. ^_^
Old 08-02-14, 11:21 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you get this work done by a Lexus dealer it will not be cheap. For all this you'll looking at least $2k. An indie repair shop will be about a third cheaper. Here is a link to a repair estimator.

https://repairpal.com/estimator

The cost of these repairs is what made me do the work myself. I am no mechanic but I've replaced starters and alternators and the like. So I figure I'd give it a shot. Especially since there are videos on this site to walk you thru it. I've included a link to a youtube video that shows it being done FYI.

I found an OEM timing belt/water pump kit on eBay with everything I mentioned in my previous post (except the oil pump and the VVT-i pulley) including serpentine belt, tensioner, PVC valve, thermostat, and oil filter, for $300. I bought all the tools I needed including a 10 gallon compressor and accessories, impact wenches, torque wenches, etc from Harbor Freight for another $300. I've got more than one car so I took my time doing the job. Total time on the job was about 8 -9 hours. But it was my first time doing anything like that. Also, a good part of that time was trying to figure out how to get the crank bolt loose. I ended up buying a Schley Tool for about $60 to do that. Saved a total of about $1500.

Anyway... if you've got the money, find a good indie Lexus repair shop. If you go to the dealer they will rape you. Otherwise, I'd give it a shot myself if I were you. Good thing is these are some pretty tuff engines and there is plenty of help on this forum. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (12-25-21)
Old 08-03-14, 05:02 AM
Toby22
Driver School Candidate

^huge thanks to you sir!
Old 03-12-19, 07:43 AM
nate2jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys i need some help i had my valve cover gaskets changed and spark plugs and pcv valve now i have a ton of oil comeing from my exhaust header it bubbles at idle & when i take it around the block oil like crazy all over the manifold what do you guys think the oil could be comeing from no smoke form exhaust and has no power loss

Old 03-12-19, 09:06 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Whomever changed the valve cover gaskets did a very poor job.

The gasket is basically a rubber O-ring that requires only a dab of silicone at the front corners.

Looks like they used black silicone instead of a gasket...

good luck

Last edited by FrankT; 03-12-19 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-12-19, 10:16 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Frank is correct. The rubber gasket is created to perfectly fit inside the valve cover. The job needs to be re-done the correct way.
Old 12-25-21, 04:32 PM
QLex300
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
If you get this work done by a Lexus dealer it will not be cheap. For all this you'll looking at least $2k. An indie repair shop will be about a third cheaper. Here is a link to a repair estimator.

https://repairpal.com/estimator

The cost of these repairs is what made me do the work myself. I am no mechanic but I've replaced starters and alternators and the like. So I figure I'd give it a shot. Especially since there are videos on this site to walk you thru it. I've included a link to a youtube video that shows it being done FYI.

2001 Lexus IS300 2JZ-GE Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement - YouTube

I found an OEM timing belt/water pump kit on eBay with everything I mentioned in my previous post (except the oil pump and the VVT-i pulley) including serpentine belt, tensioner, PVC valve, thermostat, and oil filter, for $300. I bought all the tools I needed including a 10 gallon compressor and accessories, impact wenches, torque wenches, etc from Harbor Freight for another $300. I've got more than one car so I took my time doing the job. Total time on the job was about 8 -9 hours. But it was my first time doing anything like that. Also, a good part of that time was trying to figure out how to get the crank bolt loose. I ended up buying a Schley Tool for about $60 to do that. Saved a total of about $1500.

Anyway... if you've got the money, find a good indie Lexus repair shop. If you go to the dealer they will rape you. Otherwise, I'd give it a shot myself if I were you. Good thing is these are some pretty tuff engines and there is plenty of help on this forum. Good luck.
Awesome Video!!!
thank you