GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Trac control question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 07:44 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trac control question

Ok so I have a 94' GS and every since the turbo was installed my "TRAC" light has been on, they explained something along the lines that the turbo or the electronics for it confused the car and the car always wanted to engage the traction because of how much power it has. So everything has been fine, but now I think when it was at the dealer, I haven't driven my car since then and it was 2 months ago so I am not sure when it changed. But now the TRAC light isn't on anymore, but anytime I try and accelerate at even a slight quick speed the light will like flicker like the traction control is kicking in and then car kinda hesitates (I am guessing this is because if the traction control is then kicking in that it reduces the power to stop from slipping) and then the car drives fine. If I press the "TRAC OFF" button I literally start fish tailing even with pretty slow accelration, so that won't work. Any idea what is going on and what I can do to get that light "TRAC" to stay on like it used to be, because when it was I had no problems. Thanks!
Old 02-28-03, 02:18 AM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still not sure about the deal with my TRAC problem, but to answer your other question; no it has not been dynoed butit has been approx. at 375-400 HP w/o the NOS. 1/4 mile was in the 12's when I had the car up at running at track speed. It is my daily driver too, so normally I have it set at that.
Old 02-28-03, 02:22 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mcnelson...i am not sure if there is anything you can do. I recently replaced a wheel bearing in my passenger rear wheel.. there i noticed the sensors for the traction control. It is a cyclinder shaped object that is located in the rear wheel hub and it measured the rate of spin from the shaft leading to the rear end. I assume there is one on each tire. ( I hope these never break cuz they are hard to get to) Anyway, it seems that your solution is going to be "TRAC OFF" in addition to careful acceleration. I think with "TRAC ON" it is definitely going to hesitate until both wheels reach an identical RPM. But you shouldn't loose too much acceleration unless you are "flooring it" from a standstill.

These are just my opinions:

Another thing... Have you Dynoed your car? What is horsepower like and 0-60 and/or quarter-mile times???????