GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

remote program fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 04:24 PM
cosmosblau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Had an independent shop replace the door lock actuators, and the car lost remote programming on both master keys. Key starts car just fine, but remote buttons will not open/ lock door or trunk
We tried to do the Lock/unlock 5x programming method to no avail. Car would enter programming mode and recognize the key remote - it would cycle the door locks, but the programming wouldn't stick on either key.

Took it to Lexus Dealer, and they could not program the keys using their computer. Technician said there was a "problem with the computer in the driver's door", and then offered no further solutions.

I suppose it is possible that my independent shop somehow disturbed this computer (disconnected it or broke it) while replacing the actuators.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does this make sense? What is this computer?

2003 GS300 152k
Old 10-25-16, 05:13 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you follow the steps exactly? Have a look at the doc file I uploaded.
At which step is it failing?
Attached Files
File Type: docx
KEY PROGRAMMING.docx (12.8 KB, 319 views)
The following users liked this post:
JFU99GS400 (07-09-20)
Old 10-25-16, 05:24 PM
cosmosblau
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vijayn
Did you follow the steps exactly? Have a look at the doc file I uploaded.
At which step is it failing?
Myself and 2 different Mechanics had completed this exact procedure more than 20 times. I know it by heart now.
We would get through step 9, with the key remotes both cycling the door locks once. After Step 10 was completed, both of the key's buttons would no longer effect the door locks remotely.

Thank you for writing it up, BTW.
Old 10-25-16, 05:46 PM
vijayn
Driver

Hmm thats strange that its not retaining the info.
Are you doing the full procedure as in doing the transponder part too? I'm wondering if the full procedure needs to be completed to be able to retain the program. Just give it a go.
Also have you tried the same key and procedure on another vehicle to see whether it retains the program on the key for the other car? This would confirm whether there is a problem on your car or the key.
Old 10-25-16, 05:48 PM
vijayn
Driver

Also you mentioned "key remotes", do you have two keys and did you do the procedure separately for both keys or at the same time?
Old 10-25-16, 06:01 PM
vijayn
Driver

Heres another version of the keyless programming procedure but this one has the option to erase previous codes

"Switch ignition ON and OFF once to program a new key code whilst retaining the original codes or twice to program a
new key code whilst erasing the original codes."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Key programming _ Autodata.pdf (187.7 KB, 298 views)
JFU99GS400 (07-09-20)
Old 10-25-16, 06:05 PM
cosmosblau
Driver School Candidate

Hmm thats strange that its not retaining the info.
Are you doing the full procedure as in doing the transponder part too? I'm wondering if the full procedure needs to be completed to be able to retain the program. Just give it a go.
Also have you tried the same key and procedure on another vehicle to see whether it retains the program on the key for the other car? This would confirm whether there is a problem on your car or the key.
Programming was attempted on both keys separately. I did not and will not try the Transponder procedure. I won't run the risk of immobilizing my car. I have read every related CL thread on this topic, and they are two separate, unrelated procedures, as the key remotes both worked before the regulators were replaced. I do not have an extra 2nd Gen Lexus GS hanging around.

When I mentioned that I tried the "Door lock cycle 5x" programming procedure, the Lexus AD tech made it clear that the Dealer computer key programming supercedes that manual Programming.
The issue is not that all of us did not do this manual procedure correctly. There is an additional obstacle that is keeping the program from sticking in the car.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-25-16, 06:18 PM
vijayn
Driver

I see.
Could it be that you have reached the max programmed keys allowed and this is why its not allowing it to be retained? Did the Lexus tech try to erase all programmed keys for the keyless while programming the new one?
In post 21 on that Autodata procedure i uploaded, it explains it in there on how to do it manually.
Old 10-25-16, 06:21 PM
cosmosblau
Driver School Candidate

Heres another version of the keyless programming procedure but this one has the option to erase previous codes

"Switch ignition ON and OFF once to program a new key code whilst retaining the original codes or twice to program a
new key code whilst erasing the original codes."

Thanks- this looked promising, but unfortunately still would not work. As before, key would act as if it has been programmed, but car will not hold onto it after the door closes.
Old 10-25-16, 06:40 PM
vijayn
Driver

Im not sure which module actually retains/talks to the key to do the keyless entry but I do suspect it is the drivers door module. Have you pulled the inside panel off of the drivers door to see if there was anything unplugged? The drivers MPX module is in the door with around three connectors.
But then again you would find that something isn't working correctly apart from the keyless entry (if something was unplugged).

I think our cars have the ability to do actuator testing on scantools. If you have access to a scantool, go to the body systems area and see if you can actuate anything for the drivers door. This would be helpfull to determine if the drivers module is actually working through the MPX communications line through the scantool.

Last edited by vijayn; 10-25-16 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-25-16, 07:08 PM
cosmosblau
Driver School Candidate

It could be that one of the connectors is loose, and the rest keep the windows and door locks working. I'll have my shop backtrack and investigate.
Old 10-25-16, 07:28 PM
vijayn
Driver

Cool, I hope they find the problem, it would be interesting to know what the problem was.
Old 10-26-16, 07:54 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

If it happened after you did the actuators then its not the remote's problem. There's something wrong between the actuators and the door ecus, triple check those, unplug all of the actuators and test them individually until you locate which one is causing the problem.

For future reference this video shows how to program the immobilizer and remote.
There's 6 slots for master key immobilizer and 2 valet key immobilizer slots.
There's 4 remote slots.
It's First In First Out, So Every time you manually program a key, the oldest one will get bumped
JFU99GS400 (07-09-20)
Old 01-12-17, 12:13 PM
dbecketts
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1999 RX300 with a black master keys and 2 new remotes I'm attempting to program. Ive successfully programed the keys to start the suv but cannot seem to get the remotes to activate.

Ive used this instructions numerous times: http://freeremoteinstructions.com/le...300-1999-2003/

They are the same ones I've found on this forum and several other websites. I follow them to the letter and the car responds as if they were accepted and functional; however, nothing happens when I attempt to use the remotes.

My electric door locks work fine as well.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-17, 08:11 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

You may need to use techstream

Quick Reply: remote program fail