GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Transmission Fluid refill or drain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-14, 10:21 AM
SK430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Fluid refill or drain?

Hey everyone,

So I got my GS a month ago and have been checking on things every week - it's my first car and I got it off someone who took very good care of it - trying to do the same. This weekend I checked the transmission fluid, with the car running, on neutral, and it seemed to be really low. Went to auto zone got some Valvoline trans fluid for it and when I checked again it was a lot higher on the dipstick.

My question is how do I now if I need to just add more fluid or if I need to have this drained and refilled? I got two different readings on the dipstick - I could be reading it wrong but would really like some advice before I do the wrong thing on the car.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-04-14, 10:34 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

There are two markings on the trainny dipstick. One is for low temp when the engine/trainy is cold. The other mark is for when it's warmed up. Most info I've seen is that you should go and drive your car around for 5-7 miles to warm it up and then check your fluid level while in park or neutral. I have gotten good at doing this as I have been doing drain and fill to change my trainy fluids. Although the drain plug is now getting stripped, which is another common problem apparently. (May need to tap a larger hole soon)
Old 07-04-14, 01:08 PM
SK430
Rookie

Thanks for the quick answer! Is there a way for me to diagnose when a drain is necessary vs just filling up?
Old 07-06-14, 01:01 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TW99GS300
There are two markings on the trainny dipstick. One is for low temp when the engine/trainy is cold. The other mark is for when it's warmed up. Most info I've seen is that you should go and drive your car around for 5-7 miles to warm it up and then check your fluid level while in park or neutral. I have gotten good at doing this as I have been doing drain and fill to change my trainy fluids. Although the drain plug is now getting stripped, which is another common problem apparently. (May need to tap a larger hole soon)
When doing your drain and fills use the tranny cooling lines going to the radiator, not the drain plug. You will not have to worry about stripping the plug and you can get a lot more fluid out of the tranny at one time (if you want). Loosen the line on the driver side, put the end in a container to catch the fluid and crank (but don't start) the engine. It will pump out virtually all the fluid if you want. Measure what you take out and replace it with that amount of fresh fluid.
Old 07-07-14, 02:50 AM
islexusred
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
When doing your drain and fills use the tranny cooling lines going to the radiator, not the drain plug. You will not have to worry about stripping the plug and you can get a lot more fluid out of the tranny at one time (if you want). Loosen the line on the driver side, put the end in a container to catch the fluid and crank (but don't start) the engine. It will pump out virtually all the fluid if you want. Measure what you take out and replace it with that amount of fresh fluid.
Never heard of that!! I might try it next time i replace the tranny fluid. few questions tho, how fast would the fluid come out? what is the cranking interval? and do i just fill the fluid back up from dipstick hole?
Old 07-07-14, 04:49 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I do it through the cooling lines as well. I actually lift the line as mentioned and put it in a bucket, then start car for 3 seconds. I usually get 3 quarts out each time doing this. Measure each run and replace with new through the dipstick tube. When you see cherry red coming out, you are done. you will need 12 quarts for this.
Old 07-07-14, 07:39 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by islexusred
Never heard of that!! I might try it next time i replace the tranny fluid. few questions tho, how fast would the fluid come out? what is the cranking interval? and do i just fill the fluid back up from dipstick hole?
The fluid comes out pretty quickly. A quart takes about 10 seconds (or less). Drain and fill by cranking is usually a two-person job; one to crank and one to measure how much comes out. So, the cranking interval depends on how much fluid you want to drain. Although, it's not a good idea to just lay on the starter. I usually do it in 3 - 4 second intervals. Also, be sure to fix the car so it will not start.

The reason I measure what comes out is so I know how much to put back. It easier than measuring from the dipstick although it is more than acceptable to do that. Just make sure you have it filled to the correct operating level before you start your drain and fill. Then, quart for quart, drain and fill.
Old 07-07-14, 08:42 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Youtube it. This is the best quickest method. I did the same thing to my GS300. I didn't stop until the fluid was bright red.
Old 08-09-14, 10:51 AM
SK430
Rookie

Alright guys so it's been a month since I last started thinking about this and here is what has happened so far:

- 3 weeks ago: tranny fluid looked to be kind of on the low side, and very dark orange brown, no grit

- 1 week ago: tranny fluid was almost gone! dipstick showed a drop at the end and it was jet black! I immediately took it to the shop near me and when they checked it, it wasn't low but it was still pretty dark brown. Mechanic advised me to come back when I had time to check all the fluids and systems of the car.

- Today: Went to get everything inspected. Engine oil and coolant good, brakes like new, all fluids topped off, and when we checked the tranny fluid it was again, just a drop and all black. I decided to go ahead and flush the fluid and refill. The mechanic showed me that the fluid is supposed to be red and used a machine to replace the fluid where I could see the old fluid... it was jet, black! And the second problem we found was the a/c freon needs to be refilled (?) - didn't have that done but it's another $100 repair for me on top of the tranny one

So in summary, the GS is now at 160,291 miles and has had its trans fluid fully replaced/cleaned. My question is when do I have to do this again because although it wasn't as costly as replacing the transmission, it took 14 quarts of oil + labor. Is it based on how much time passes or how many miles you put on it? Would love some help - getting used to taking care of the car, I'm all about preventative maintenance. Thanks everyone for taking time to read.
Old 08-09-14, 02:40 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Did the tech use t4 Toyota tranny fluid? That's the fluid that should be in it.
Old 10-04-14, 07:30 PM
tedsterb
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of tranny and diff fluids for the GS300? Is there a link to the official manual online?
Old 10-04-14, 08:25 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Dont use valvoline. Lexus for your car uses type IV tx fluid
Old 10-04-14, 08:28 PM
tedsterb
Driver

Is this the same for the rear diff?
Old 10-05-14, 06:05 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

75w-90 in rear diffy. open fill bolt first then drain bolt. takes about 15 minutes to replace the rear diffy fluid.
Old 10-05-14, 07:32 AM
tedsterb
Driver

Oh ok so there are 2 bolts... some threads made it sound like theres only one for the GS.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid refill or drain?