GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First Lexus, and it wont even be mine

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-14, 02:15 PM
Golfinbill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Lexus, and it wont even be mine

All,

Looking for some assistance from this excellent group. Purchasing a vehicle for graduating senior. As he will be out of town, reliability is key, therefore going with a Lexus.
* Budget is 10-15K. The best value I can find in that price point wins
* Reliability is key. What year models in the GS line seem to hold up best?
* Not considering the ES, but would consider the IS
* Considering the budget, I would think a sweet spot may be a GS with right at 100K that has just had the 90K mile service completed (timing belt, water pump, etc..)

What would you guys recommend in either a GS or IS?
Old 06-15-14, 02:39 PM
99GS400HP
Driver

From my experiences, The second gen GS is the most reliable compared to the 3rd Gen and maybe 1st Gen. Many people have done hundreds of thousands of miles on the 2nd Gen GS's. I'm assuming 4th Gen is out of the budget.
Old 06-15-14, 03:48 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

with that amount of capital you should be aiming for a lower mileage car
Old 06-15-14, 05:44 PM
gsbs300
Driver

Default Lots of cheddar

To answer your question.I PERSONALLY would aim for a 03 up Gsxxx.

10-15k Is enough to get just about the nicest second gen Gs there is for sale(in my area) ive never seen a second gen Gsxxx for more than 16,500 and that was a 2005 gs430 mint,with 20k miles.

Same with isxxx you could get a really good one with that kind of cheddar.

But since we are in the 2gs sub-forum Id advice that 15k be spent on a gs430
Old 06-15-14, 06:04 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

the gs is not without it's issues given that you're shopping for a 10-17 year old car, when wear and tear items are starting to pop up now even for well maintained cars.

Take a look at the threads with people trying to track down steering/shake gremlins and spending loads of money trying to bring it back to acceptable before making your final decision.

Additionally given it's age, it is nowhere near practical from a MPG point of view, which can add up quick for someone in school.

I would shoot for a newer car even if it's a step down versus the hassle of maintaining an older vehicle.

For 15k you can get a 1year old new honda fit for example, or for a bit more brand new 2015 fit. super practical, super reliable, easy on the wallet
Old 06-15-14, 07:26 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raytseng
the gs is not without it's issues given that you're shopping for a 10-17 year old car, when wear and tear items are starting to pop up now even for well maintained cars.

Take a look at the threads with people trying to track down steering/shake gremlins and spending loads of money trying to bring it back to acceptable before making your final decision.

Additionally given it's age, it is nowhere near practical from a MPG point of view, which can add up quick for someone in school.

I would shoot for a newer car even if it's a step down versus the hassle of maintaining an older vehicle.

For 15k you can get a 1year old new honda fit for example, or for a bit more brand new 2015 fit. super practical, super reliable, easy on the wallet
Some good advice here but did you really just recommend a honda fit? You cant be serious, this guys budget is between 10-15k meaning he could get a 2gs, 3gs or a nice is250/350. I just think getting a honda fit after posting this thread in a lexus 2gs forum is laughable lol, a honda fit really??

Last edited by cmara2k9; 06-15-14 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 08:15 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If u get him a 2Gs I HIGHLY recommend the 300 only, the 400/430 v8 would have me extremely nervous as a father knowing my young kid is behind the wheel, the 300 is very reliable and the v6 has plenty of power for him, I would look at the local dealers, I would def opt out of the 3rd generation, as far as a newer Is that is also a factor, their great cars, yea NEVER buy a Es model they have a lot of tranny/engine problems unless it's a 350, u do not want to deal with trust me... Lucky kid, good luck sir...

Last edited by DosyBoy; 06-15-14 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 08:43 PM
Golfinbill
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the input. Only looking at the GS300 vs 430 for my son. Plenty of car for an 18 year old.

after a quick look this evening already found an 03 GS300, very clean, 64K miles, and service history I found online is impecable. I think I am on the right track.

The IS just seems a little cramped and I think I would rather have him in a slightly larger car.
Old 06-15-14, 08:46 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

First 'n foremost, hello! Where is said senior going to school in August?

Second, I'm not here to tell you what you should and shouldn't purchase, (come on, fellas) but I will recommend the 2003-2005 GS430, simply for the fact that it has the latest updates available. For the 2GS, age is negligible, so long as the previous owner(s) have treated it properly. Check for lower ball joint replacement and functioning door lock actuators. Take the car out on a test drive at highway speeds; some of these cars are plagued with shakes at around 60mph, but not all.
Old 06-15-14, 08:50 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfinbill
Appreciate the input. Only looking at the GS300 vs 430 for my son. Plenty of car for an 18 year old.

after a quick look this evening already found an 03 GS300, very clean, 64K miles, and service history I found online is impecable. I think I am on the right track.

The IS just seems a little cramped and I think I would rather have him in a slightly larger car.
Your off to a GREAT start! Good Luck again buddy...
Old 06-15-14, 09:14 PM
Golfinbill
Driver School Candidate

You guys are great! Appreicate all the interest. He is going to a small school in Oklahoma (NAIA) to play basketball. Very proud of him. Has worked his butt off to get to this point and this is somewhat of his reward.
The vehicles my wife and I drive have always been "higher end" well taken care of used cars. I have had great luck, so I will stick with this concept. Just never owned a Lexus, and this seems to be a good place to start, especially with the reliability track record. Good to know the 2G's seem to be very solid and the key is finding a clean one which has been well maintained. I have until August 1, so I can be picky for now.
Old 06-15-14, 09:19 PM
Golfinbill
Driver School Candidate

ThomasGS4...you mention lastest updates avail in the 2003-2005 year models. What are you refering to?
Also, just thought about Bluetooth. He would probably rather drive a covered wagon that had Bluetooth than a G430 without. When did Lexus intro Bluetooth into the equation and what can be done aftermarket for those without?
Old 06-15-14, 09:44 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

car audio should not factor into your decision because adding a bluetooth module and other car audio is way cheaper than searcher for a seller trying to get rid of OEM premium audio. honestly even wholesale when you do trade in and auction buys they don't even factor in car audio-- it's condition of car (body/chassis/powertrain) and mileage that they're only worried about.

you can do a standalone bluetooth only module (cheaper ,100 or so), or upgrade car audio that has built in bluetooth (cheapest 100 - sky's the limit depending on what options you want)

every car i've ever had i ditched OEM audio anyway.
Old 06-15-14, 10:16 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take it to a car audio shop and get a new head unit would probably be the best bet, imo. That way you get USB / Aux input etc, and if he decides he wants to upgrade everything else, it'll be a lot easier
Old 06-16-14, 01:21 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't even see 2GS go for 10-15 by me, I think 10500 was the highest and that was a low mileage black 430, I'm trying to save that much now, and looking at 2nd gen IS or possibly 3rd gen GS, you could get either for 15k for say an 06 or 07 model, and trust me an 06 Gs or Is is wayyy ahead of our old 2gs in features and just being more modern looking. That said I've heard a lot of complaints about the 3GS, our 2nd gens are more reliable from what I've gathered

Quick Reply: First Lexus, and it wont even be mine