GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Projector headlight swap help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 10:30 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Projector headlight swap help!!

Well i recently purchased a pair of (black housing projector headlights)
i thought it would be a easy plug in.

*the lights i currently had on had factory (toyota) hid.

When pluging in the projector headlights the headlights would not come on, turn signals, and day time rruning lights would turn on though.

When bypassing the ballast everything would work fine,

*i noticed the bulbs that came with the projectors where much smaller & different than the hid ones i had before..

For the meantime i bypassed the ballast,

would i just have to buy a different size hid bulbs that fit my projectors?

THE PROJECTORS BULBS ARE SMAILL AND HAVE A RETANING CLIP THAT HOLDS THEM IN PLACE,
THE HID ONES WERE JUST LOCKED IN BY TURNINGTHEM AND MUCH LONGER

Last edited by STREETGS; 05-29-14 at 10:54 AM. Reason: ADDED MORE INFO
Old 05-29-14, 10:56 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you purchased the ones from ebay (or most other companies), then those headlights are not setup for HIDs. You'll have to get a new ballast that supports whatever type of bulb it may be (most likely the same as a non-HID 2GS), and purchase new bulbs to match. It'd probably be easiest to purchase a complete HID kit from DDM or TRS.
Old 05-29-14, 12:07 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You have to use the stock ballast that came with the car and stock bulbs D2r, I'm assuming your aftermarket lights have a rubber boot cover? Slice a slit in the middle for your stock hid ballast wire and run it through, silicone and or tape it so no moisture gets in and your gonna have to find a spot to ZIPTIE the heavy oem ballasts
Old 05-29-14, 04:53 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthStyle
If you purchased the ones from ebay (or most other companies), then those headlights are not setup for HIDs. You'll have to get a new ballast that supports whatever type of bulb it may be (most likely the same as a non-HID 2GS), and purchase new bulbs to match. It'd probably be easiest to purchase a complete HID kit from DDM or TRS.
Don't purchase ANYTHING from trs. It's well known now that their ballast and bulbs are crappy. Their quality isn't worth the price.
Old 05-29-14, 05:32 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Don't purchase ANYTHING from trs. It's well known now that their ballast and bulbs are crappy. Their quality isn't worth the price.
Well known to whom? I've never heard any complaints about them, nor had any complaints in regards to them... Also, which ballasts/bulbs are you referring to? They sell Morimoto, Philips, Denso, etc etc. I've only used the Morimoto brand for my aftermarkets, but they worked perfectly for me.
Old 05-29-14, 05:34 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

EDIT: I should add: "...[I've only used the Morimoto brand for my aftermarkets] as a kit purchased from TRS." I've also used DDMs without issues as well. In regards to TRS, all of the pieces for my retrofit came from them and I'm more than pleased with the quality of parts.
Old 05-29-14, 08:09 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

gr8 b8 m8 8/8
Old 05-29-14, 10:10 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Well known to whom? I've never heard any complaints about them, nor had any complaints in regards to them... Also, which ballasts/bulbs are you referring to? They sell Morimoto, Philips, Denso, etc etc. I've only used the Morimoto brand for my aftermarkets, but they worked perfectly for me.
When was the last time you purchased something from them? I'm very active on that site and it's a slew of problems with the morimoto brands. You can go over and read yourself. Their current 3five ballast and new "improved" ballast all have igniter issues, problem starting in cold weather and their bulbs have gone down hill too. You don't have to believe me go read it yourself. People are all strictly pushing the OEM ballast and bulbs now. I just purchased new denso d2s slim ballasts that's potted that I will be using for my future retro.
Old 05-29-14, 10:20 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

When was the last time you purchased something from them? I'm very active on that site and it's a slew of problems with the morimoto brands. You can go over and read yourself. Their current 3five ballast and new "improved" ballast all have igniter issues, problem starting in cold weather and their bulbs have gone down hill too. You don't have to believe me go read it yourself. People are all strictly pushing the OEM ballast and bulbs now. I just purchased new denso d2s slim ballasts that's potted that I will be using for my future retro.
The last HID kit I purchased was about 8 months ago which haven't had any issues. Within the last few weeks I've purchased my LS460 projectors and Orbit shrouds (for the MDX projectors I'm getting from HIDIllusionz). I would've gotten my Osram Night Breaker Unlimited from them as well but they didn't carry them when I was in the market.

Dunno, guess everyone has different experiences with them but all of mine have been extremely positive.
Old 05-29-14, 10:51 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have nothing bad to say about TRS thus I wonder the "It's well known" part. Nor have I ever heard anyone had any problems with them.
Until now.

Is this rant of yours, SaiyanGS3, directed towards Morimoto products or just in general to TRS?
Old 05-29-14, 11:23 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lutkis
I have nothing bad to say about TRS thus I wonder the "It's well known" part. Nor have I ever heard anyone had any problems with them.
Until now.

Is this rant of yours, SaiyanGS3, directed towards Morimoto products or just in general to TRS?
Actually, that's a great question since SaiyanGS3 said "their ballasts and bulbs" when in actuality, TRS doesn't produce the bulbs or ballasts (to my knowledge)... they're just a reseller of Morimoto products. Although it does seem as though they are either able to modify them, or they have some part in the process. But honestly, who knows...

I was able to find a few threads concerning the Morimoto 3/5Five ballasts (didn't see anything about the bulbs) and it seems the cold weather startup is hit-or-miss, with TRS saying approximately 10% of the ballasts sold being affected. At the same time, I did see a few posts about the Densos having issues lighting up in the cold as well. Seems like the DDM ballasts are probably the best (and most inexpensive) bet. I was going to go with the Denso slims as well, but I guess I'll have to do some more research before making my final decision.
Old 05-30-14, 02:01 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by Lutkis
Until now.

Their morimoto brands. They changed suppliers and quality is down hill. Everything else is ok. But if you're not active there you wouldn't know about. As I previously stated, its well know about their quality control going down hill IF you're active there.

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 05-30-14 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-30-14, 02:09 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Actually, that's a great question since SaiyanGS3 said "their ballasts and bulbs" when in actuality, TRS doesn't produce the bulbs or ballasts (to my knowledge)... they're just a reseller of Morimoto products. Although it does seem as though they are either able to modify them, or they have some part in the process. But honestly, who knows...

I was able to find a few threads concerning the Morimoto 3/5Five ballasts (didn't see anything about the bulbs) and it seems the cold weather startup is hit-or-miss, with TRS saying approximately 10% of the ballasts sold being affected. At the same time, I did see a few posts about the Densos having issues lighting up in the cold as well. Seems like the DDM ballasts are probably the best (and most inexpensive) bet. I was going to go with the Denso slims as well, but I guess I'll have to do some more research before making my final decision.
Of course they dont manufacture their own ballast. Why would you assume that I thought they were pumping these out the back of their shop in atlanta. They have a manufacturer out of china making morimoto. I say their because morimoto is exclusive to trs.
A few threads, hit or miss?? Its more than hit or miss otherwise TRS wouldnt have stopped making the last gen and switch to the newer one thats still having issues. Of course trs will say its only 10%, damage control. Ive never heard of denso oem ballast having issues. If that was the case there would be a recall. Now maybe you're talking about what trs sells, but im speaking about OEM ballast that come from the factory. That's what I purchased.

By all means you guys can purchase what you want but dont be disappointed when your product doesnt work as described. The morimoto that is. Just spend time at hidplanet and educate yourself on their recent morimoto product failures. The old products were great but almost like all companies, they cut quality for profit and trs isnt excluded.

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 05-30-14 at 02:22 AM.
Old 05-30-14, 02:28 AM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

A few threads, hit or miss?? Its more than hit or miss otherwise TRS wouldnt have stopped making the last gen and switch to the newer one thats still having issues. Of course trs will say its only 10%, damage control. Ive never heard of denso oem ballast having issues. If that was the case there would be a recall. Now maybe you're talking about what trs sells, but im speaking about OEM ballast that come from the factory. That's what I purchased.

By all means you guys can purchase what you want but dont be disappointed when your product doesnt work as described. The morimoto that is. Just spend time at hidplanet and educate yourself on their recent morimoto product failures.
Like I said, I was going based off of what I found through searching for about an hour while I was slow at work. Also, as per my previous message, I can't relate to any issue that anyone else has had since I, along with anyone I know, have never had any problems with them. But I guess we're lucky... is what it is. Much less, I'm only on HIDPlanet to gather information sporadically; it's not a forum I frequent often.

Anyway, where did you find the potted slim ballasts? Also, to follow-up with that question, did you pot them yourself or purchase them that way? I've been reading up and I'm guessing that the Denso's I had previously read about were having the cold weather issues as they weren't the potted version (as far as I know).

Lastly, Morimoto isn't excusive to TRS.
Old 05-30-14, 06:22 AM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're scared of your ballast or HID kit crapping out, DDM Tuning has a lifetime warranty and I've had great experiences exchanging my old HID's for new ones. I highly recommend them. Best bang for your buck.

Quick Reply: Projector headlight swap help!!