GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need new alternator, my chance to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-14, 02:38 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need new alternator, my chance to upgrade.

So the other day i was driving and playing my music.... and then my stereo turns off and my battery light comes on. I went to autozone immediately and they tested the alternator and they said it was going bad. So today i ripped out the alternator and im having a guy build 1 with 140 amps rather then the stock 100. So i wanna take this loss and get a louder system out of it. Without having to buy an expensive HO alternator would i be able to run a legit 2000 rms system if i just did the big 3 while im doing the alternator, adding another battery and running 0 gauge wires with a few caps? I wanna get a t2000 amp and run 2 2012 fosgate t1s, not exactly a 2000 rms system but kinda close to that.
Old 05-20-14, 04:06 AM
tdciv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont need caps if your running another battery

if your going to do the big 3 and another battery you will be fine for power as long as you run 2 good batterys

myself i run mechman 320a alternator to a xs power D2400 battery with the big 3 i would like to swap to a xs power 14 volt battery but they dont have one that will fit the stock spot
Old 05-20-14, 07:28 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Originally Posted by tdciv
you dont need caps if your running another battery

if your going to do the big 3 and another battery you will be fine for power as long as you run 2 good batterys

myself i run mechman 320a alternator to a xs power D2400 battery with the big 3 i would like to swap to a xs power 14 volt battery but they dont have one that will fit the stock spot
I have a XS Power D3400 which is a 12-volt battery in my stock battery location. The XS Power D1400, which is a 14 volt battery, has the same dimension's as the D3400. Although the D3400 has 1000 cranking amps and the D1400 only has 675 cranking amps. They are also the same price. I don't see why it wouldn't fit there also. Just a thought there for you.
Old 05-20-14, 07:43 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't hurt anything if I install that 14v battery, and an alternator with a higher Amp output on a stock car right? I notice when sitting idling, I rev a bit and my drls get brighter and my a/c blows a lot harder. I recently bought this alternator, its charging at 13.7/8.
Old 05-20-14, 11:10 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Okay so since i got no replies on my other thread since you guys know your electrical i was wondering.. The plug on the back of my alternator melted around the alternator itself.. I had 2 people from different shops that told me to snip the wires and solder and new plug into it. I have never soldered anything in my life before. So i thought i would ask does anyone know what kind of solder i should buy and where and what kind of solder dipper i should buy or whatever its called. I really need help with this.. :/
Old 05-21-14, 10:19 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Originally Posted by JJaySilver
It wouldn't hurt anything if I install that 14v battery, and an alternator with a higher Amp output on a stock car right? I notice when sitting idling, I rev a bit and my drls get brighter and my a/c blows a lot harder. I recently bought this alternator, its charging at 13.7/8.
I believe if you install a 14v battery that you have to upgrade to a higher output alternator, one that would put out 15.7-16.4 with adjusting module. I also believe if you run 15-16 volts through your car you may burn up some boards. I could be wrong, but I would amplifiers would work fine off that, but for everything you would probably a step down module 14 volts to 12 volts to your boards. I have only read a little up on upgrading to higher voltage batteries, so I may be wrong. I would double check and do some research yourself. Go ask an online retailer who sells the battery and see what they say.
Old 05-21-14, 10:21 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsean400
Okay so since i got no replies on my other thread since you guys know your electrical i was wondering.. The plug on the back of my alternator melted around the alternator itself.. I had 2 people from different shops that told me to snip the wires and solder and new plug into it. I have never soldered anything in my life before. So i thought i would ask does anyone know what kind of solder i should buy and where and what kind of solder dipper i should buy or whatever its called. I really need help with this.. :/
I know you need solder, flux, and a soldering gun. I don't do a lot of soldering, I would go to radio shack or electrical store, they could probably help you. Why can't these 2 shops do that for you? Trying to save some money? I wouldn't even touch my alternator personally, with little to no experience with soldering, something is bound to go wrong. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-21-14, 08:31 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CharlieD93
I know you need solder, flux, and a soldering gun. I don't do a lot of soldering, I would go to radio shack or electrical store, they could probably help you. Why can't these 2 shops do that for you? Trying to save some money? I wouldn't even touch my alternator personally, with little to no experience with soldering, something is bound to go wrong. Best of luck to you.
Yeah i feel the same way. Im actually going to have my uncle do the soldering. I had to snip the wires and i just got a new plug. The alternator harness is 1300 bucks can u believe that.
Old 05-22-14, 02:35 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Now that i got the alternator fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions on what speakers or amp i should go with? I really miss bass, i had 2 15" fosgate t2s and a 2500 watt niche amp that was huge in my previous car, but i felt like i was missing something and it wasnt as loud as it could be. I still want to get another t1 and a t2000 amp but i dont know if the subs will be under powered since the new t1's are 800 rms and 1200 watts max. I also heard that fosgate amps are under rated... So do i even have a chance of blowing them? Could my car with a slightly upgraded alternator and a big 3 upgrade be enough to even power it?
Old 05-26-14, 11:42 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CharlieD93
I believe if you install a 14v battery that you have to upgrade to a higher output alternator, one that would put out 15.7-16.4 with adjusting module. I also believe if you run 15-16 volts through your car you may burn up some boards. I could be wrong, but I would amplifiers would work fine off that, but for everything you would probably a step down module 14 volts to 12 volts to your boards. I have only read a little up on upgrading to higher voltage batteries, so I may be wrong. I would double check and do some research yourself. Go ask an online retailer who sells the battery and see what they say.

I think the electronics on these cars has regulators so that they stays at their recommended voltage. I'll just get an optima battery, and try to upgrade the alternator to a higher amp rating; this on a stock system, no audio upgrades yet. But I think my battery is going out because with the car running, my LED interior lights dims to low if I open/close windows, turn signals are on. A/c doesn't blow hard until I rev the engine. Its 4 years old BTW.

Last edited by JJaySilver; 05-26-14 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-26-14, 11:48 AM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsean400
Now that i got the alternator fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions on what speakers or amp i should go with? I really miss bass, i had 2 15" fosgate t2s and a 2500 watt niche amp that was huge in my previous car, but i felt like i was missing something and it wasnt as loud as it could be. I still want to get another t1 and a t2000 amp but i dont know if the subs will be under powered since the new t1's are 800 rms and 1200 watts max. I also heard that fosgate amps are under rated... So do i even have a chance of blowing them? Could my car with a slightly upgraded alternator and a big 3 upgrade be enough to even power it?

You got your alternator to 140 amps? Do you know what was needed to be replaced to get it there? I don't trust this remanufactured one I got from the parts store.
Old 05-26-14, 04:42 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JJaySilver
You got your alternator to 140 amps? Do you know what was needed to be replaced to get it there? I don't trust this remanufactured one I got from the parts store.
I actually didnt get it done. The guy told me it would take about 2 weeks for the parts to get in and the car is my daily so i just got it rebuilt in 2 hours. I have no clue what the process is for building up the amps. It would have only been 40$ more to get it there from what the guy told me. Im glad i didnt do it tho cause iv been reading threads where alot of people are having problems when they put in a HO alternators. According to the guy who fixed my alternator he said the problem with the lexus alternators is that they have faulty wire brushes or something he said he has never had to completely rebuild a lexus alternator. I think that was the case with mine cause it was only 15$ to fix and its running as good as new
Old 05-26-14, 06:11 PM
JJaySilver
Pole Position

I've found a Lexus dealer site where I can buy the alternator or its parts like the brushes if needing to rebuilding. I might try this as a project one day. But for now, I'll just change to a better battery, and get an OEM alt when this reman fails.