GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The Great Piggy Back Debate - AEM F/IC 8 or Apexi Neo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 09:43 PM
J$mooth23
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Dayum son looking clean!!!
I need that in my life!
Well also along with headers and a dragon tc...not too much to ask for right? I'm a simple guy lol
Old 05-30-14, 09:53 AM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone enlighten me on what it does/the difference between the two?

I installed one of these on my first integra for controlling the vtec and some other random things, but that was YEARS ago.
Old 06-02-14, 04:11 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armanitran
Can someone enlighten me on what it does/the difference between the two?

I installed one of these on my first integra for controlling the vtec and some other random things, but that was YEARS ago.
Without going too into detail (I'm sure others will chime in), these devices allow you to control the air to fuel ratio, ignition timing, and all kinds of other fun stuff. These devices are "piggy back" engine control units, allowing you to trick the existing ECU into thinking differently without the loss of OEM features like cruise control.

The AEM FIC 8 allows for much more engine management and has been used successfully with force induced engines.

The Apexi Neo has been around for years and does an adequate job at tuning for those of us with just bolt on mods (intake, headers, exhaust, etc.)

I went with the Neo because I don't have any desire to go force induced anytime soon. I also got mine used for cheap.

Hope this helps at least a little...
Old 06-02-14, 09:18 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGeigs
Without going too into detail (I'm sure others will chime in), these devices allow you to control the air to fuel ratio, ignition timing, and all kinds of other fun stuff. These devices are "piggy back" engine control units, allowing you to trick the existing ECU into thinking differently without the loss of OEM features like cruise control.

The AEM FIC 8 allows for much more engine management and has been used successfully with force induced engines.

The Apexi Neo has been around for years and does an adequate job at tuning for those of us with just bolt on mods (intake, headers, exhaust, etc.)

I went with the Neo because I don't have any desire to go force induced anytime soon. I also got mine used for cheap.

Hope this helps at least a little...
I didn't ask, but I appreciate the knowledge. I always wondered what this piggy-back stuff was all about.
Old 06-03-14, 03:41 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see the point of these piggybacks. from my understanding doesn't the stock ECU Erase the "tune" or is that only with F/I ? I feel like its a go big or go home situation, won't you be spending close to 1500$ anyways after buying the bolt on parts/neo/tuning and labor? Why not spend an extra 1500 and get a custom supercharger built for it and get double the power. If I knew ANYONE who has run a supercharger on 6lbs,with no piggy back or standalone and had installed a wide band, with proof of safe A/F numbers I would have done it by now. I guess noone is really too sure witch is why I used the rest of my money for a wheel light and sound system combo, I still have a V2 sitting in my closet, I guess I will throw it on my next car
Old 06-03-14, 04:26 PM
armanitran
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttaylor993
I didn't ask, but I appreciate the knowledge. I always wondered what this piggy-back stuff was all about.
i asked him.
Old 06-03-14, 07:52 PM
NorthStyle
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsean400
I don't see the point of these piggybacks. from my understanding doesn't the stock ECU Erase the "tune" or is that only with F/I ? I feel like its a go big or go home situation, won't you be spending close to 1500$ anyways after buying the bolt on parts/neo/tuning and labor? Why not spend an extra 1500 and get a custom supercharger built for it and get double the power. If I knew ANYONE who has run a supercharger on 6lbs,with no piggy back or standalone and had installed a wide band, with proof of safe A/F numbers I would have done it by now. I guess noone is really too sure witch is why I used the rest of my money for a wheel light and sound system combo, I still have a V2 sitting in my closet, I guess I will throw it on my next car
You're correct in the aspect that it will eventually overwrite the day-to-day setup of the tune. However, since most of us only go WOT sparingly, that tune isn't used enough for the ECU counter it. Plus, to get the most out of a supercharged setup you'd end up having to buy the header and exhaust components anyway so you're not really saving much unless you went strictly F/I. Then, add the cost of installation (for those who are unable to DIY and the price keeps rising. Not to mention I haven't seen ANY supercharger kits go for $3K and the last custom setup posted on the forums was around $5K from what I remember, and it still needed tuning on top of that.
Old 06-04-14, 07:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Trust me, going FI is a lot more expensive than $3k...more than double and that would be for a used kit and doing it right.

When it's all said and done with the install I'll have close to $7k into it. I got my SC kit used for $3,200. Back in the day it was selling for $10,500 new including the install which didn't come with tunable EM like the FIC8 that I have now; it was a preset piggyback box from SRT.
Old 06-07-14, 03:10 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh okay it makes sence now.. I remember When in WOT the car would down shift twice when i first got it and now the computer knows witch gear I want to be in... Interesting.. Anyways I know F/I is expensive but the only reason I considered it, was cause of RMM's post on here saying that when the kit came out it didn't come with an ECU & that for low boost basically the computer would tune itself "there isnt a better ECU on the market that can replace the stock system for performance and reliabilty" maybe i missed it, but on that thread no one said anything against that theory, I agree it's expensive to supercharge this vehicle but if what he said is true it would be less then 2k to supercharge the gs.
Old 08-21-14, 12:56 PM
BigGeigs
Rookie

I spent $250 for the Neo, and an additional $650 to install and tune the car at DynoComp in Scottsdale, AZ. The only engine mods I have are K&N Intake and L-Tuned exhaust, and the tune made the world of a difference in the drivability of the car. The torque band increased dramatically. The car feels like it could accelerate forever.

The main reason I wanted to tune was because the intake was causing a CEL that I could not get rid of. The tune cleared it right up and it has not returned since.