GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 GS400 Right Headlight Inop and Foglights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 06:34 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 98 GS400 Right Headlight Inop and Foglights Not Working

So here is the situation, I posted on the GS300 GS400 GS430 Facebook page and still did not get a clear answer.
I have a 98 GS400 that I recently purchased, the car came equipped with LS460 projector mod which I really didnt care for so I swapped with OEM HID's from my buddies car. We checked the connection to make sure both lights worked and they worked fine. So when we finally got the bumper on I discovered that the passenger side headlight was not working, including the foglights were not working as well. So a few days later, I pulled the bumper to check the connections and fuses. All the fuses that I could fine relating to Headlights and Foglights seem to be good. I pulled the passenger headlight and hooked it up to the Drivers side connection and it worked so I know the headlight is good. I swapped over the drivers side to check connection and no power to the headlight. Let me back up for a minute and say that I do have highbeams and turn signals. It's the headlight that is not working. I havent even dealt with the foglights yet. I know I need to check for power on the connection but has anyone ran into this problem? Before one of you internet thugs try to blast me about the search button I already searched and came up with nothing..........
Old 04-21-14, 07:07 AM
77i9
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try switching just the hid bulbs. If the bulb doesn't light up then it's probably the ballast.
Old 04-21-14, 08:14 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

^ The passenger headlight works fine if it is connected to the driver side wiring, so it's not the bulb.

I'm leaning towards ballast as well at this point.
Old 04-21-14, 09:19 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
^ The passenger headlight works fine if it is connected to the driver side wiring, so it's not the bulb.

I'm leaning towards ballast as well at this point.
The ballast works Parker, I hooked up the passenger side headlight to the drivers side and it turned on. I am thinking the wiring harness is bad, or there is some hidden fuse or relay that I didnt see, not to mention no power to my foglights.
Old 04-21-14, 09:30 PM
kaosfive5
Rookie

hey nandob funny to say but im having the same problem with my 01 gs300..i did the switching of ballasts and bulbs but no dice, its on my passenger side and im still trying to figure out if its the wiring harness or if a fuse exists. having a buddy check it out with a volt meter tomorrow and hopefully that should help clear some news...i have no idea what a wiring harness job would run either
Old 04-22-14, 05:44 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaosfive5
hey nandob funny to say but im having the same problem with my 01 gs300..i did the switching of ballasts and bulbs but no dice, its on my passenger side and im still trying to figure out if its the wiring harness or if a fuse exists. having a buddy check it out with a volt meter tomorrow and hopefully that should help clear some news...i have no idea what a wiring harness job would run either
If you find out the issue please post back on this page, meanwhile I am going to do the same thing. I'm very new to the 2GS but not Lexus all together. Normally with the forums, etc. I can figure out the problem but with this one I am at a stand still.
Old 04-22-14, 05:52 PM
jeepandlex
Driver

Dont know if this will help...but check to see if you have a relay harness. I you've got a retro fit with those projectors, the previous owner must've installed one. I've had 2 go bad on my gs300. I will just keep replacing them because it's a good safety measure. One time my headlights just did not turn on! I unplugged the harness and went directly into the ballast with the OEM harness and the headlight fired up. I've even had to replace the headlight/foglight switch because the of the load created on the switch by running the fogs by themselves.
Old 04-22-14, 05:54 PM
jeepandlex
Driver

Oh yeah....on my grand cherokee, the harness went bad and i couldn't turn the headlights off lol
Old 04-24-14, 01:08 PM
nandob
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jeepandlex
Dont know if this will help...but check to see if you have a relay harness. I you've got a retro fit with those projectors, the previous owner must've installed one. I've had 2 go bad on my gs300. I will just keep replacing them because it's a good safety measure. One time my headlights just did not turn on! I unplugged the harness and went directly into the ballast with the OEM harness and the headlight fired up. I've even had to replace the headlight/foglight switch because the of the load created on the switch by running the fogs by themselves.
Thanks man that's good info. All I want is for my headlight to work so I can drive it at night. I love my ls400 but I now want to drive this GS.
Old 04-28-14, 05:58 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Default Problem Solved

I ended up rewiring from the light to the harness, looked back over my fuses again and discovered that one was blown. Once I replaced the fuse I now have headlights and foglights.
Old 04-28-14, 10:20 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

good job.

3 4 5
Old 04-30-14, 11:12 PM
kaosfive5
Rookie

Nando I sent you a pm inquiring about the fuse box where you replaced it. I know theres a few boxes to look through
Old 10-27-14, 09:43 PM
babyboygs
Driver School Candidate

Default what fuse did u replace

Originally Posted by kaosfive5
Nando I sent you a pm inquiring about the fuse box where you replaced it. I know theres a few boxes to look through
I'm in the same situation no headlights at all only when flash high beams
Old 10-28-14, 06:23 AM
kesdjmarou
Driver School Candidate

i have no idea what a wiring harness job would run either
Old 12-13-19, 07:32 AM
98gs400Jef
Driver School Candidate

Default Similar issue..

I am having a Similar issue however mine started after replacing a battery. I noticed that night after switching headlight/fog lights on, only my driver side headlight come on. Next day inspected fuses and found headlight light fuse 15amp was blown. Replaced and instantly blew after turning on headlights. Is there a particular ground I can check that handles the fog lights as well?
I also tried replacing bulb and swapping known good bulbs. No fix