GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2nd Generation GS300 vs 2002 Toyota Avalon

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-14, 08:17 PM
wireman67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Generation GS300 vs 2002 Toyota Avalon

My neighbor has a one owner 2002 Lexus GS300 with 71k miles in excellent condition (driven mainly on short trips around town and to the office 3 miles away) that's for sale for $8000. I currently have a 2002 Toyota Avalon with 56k miles in excellent condition that I'm very happy with. My son has a 1992 Honda Accord EX with 47k original miles (yes that's not a misprint) that he's happy with. Would it make sense to sell either one of these cars to buy this Lexus? I know nothing about the second generation GS other than this car in stock (non modified and I am not a modifier, just a regular driver) status is a head turner in white with a spoiler. I would appreciate the pros and cons of the 2002 Lexus GS300 vs the other two cars mentioned.
Old 04-09-14, 08:48 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I currently DD a 2001 GS430. My last DD was 97 ES300, which shares a lot of parts with your Avalon. In my younger years, I had few Hondas including 92 Prelude Si, which shares a lot of parts with your Accord.

I love my GS430, I wouldn't trade it for 10 Avalons and Accords, but with that said... the 2 1/2 years I've owned my GS, and about 30k miles, I spent more money in repairs on that GS than the 200k miles I drove on the ES (total of 350k miles) and my Prelude(3 years and 100k miles driven) combined.

The Camry-Avalon-ES300 chassis and the motor is a rock, never failed me once... and never any nagging repairs. Your Accord, the 1990-93 body style is the one that put Honda on the map it is now. Just don't forget to change the timing belt/water pump/distributor shaft, and it really does run forever with no issues. (altho I did hear about transmission issues on the auto, but if manual, no worries)

The nagging repairs I'm talking about on the GS is the front end issues, (caster arm bushings going bad, ball joints, tie rod ends which I never replaced on any of my cars, ever at any miles) door lock actuators going bad, check engine lights with bad oxygen sensors, etc, which is not a bad list, but not what I'm used to, which is nothing other than regular maintenance ever going bad.

If you're seduced by the GS, I understand, buy it. (I've wanted it since 1997)
It's a bit sportier feeling than the Avalon, but not as toss-able as the Accord. I'm a bit of a hoarder... I'd just keep both and get the GS. But if one had to go, I'd let go of the Avalon, the easiest of the 3 to replace.
Old 04-09-14, 09:46 PM
perry05g35
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't sell the cars you currently have. I would just add the GS to the stable. You have the new car itch so why not scratch it by getting the GS!
Old 04-10-14, 06:19 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmcqueen
I spent more money in repairs on that GS than the 200k miles I drove on the ES (total of 350k miles) and my Prelude(3 years and 100k miles driven) combined.
This....take heed to it.

In my opinion, keep what you already have in your stable. That GS will be a money pit at some point or another. The thing about the suspension on the GS is that so many moving parts are involved and yet they all work together. If a part fails, it is definitely noticeable and when you replace that part, another bad part exposes itself then you have to replace it. You can go on and on replacing parts until you finally resolve the issue. I have never owned a car that clunked, rattled and creaked more than this GS and I've owned many different makes and models. Luxury and economy. To this day, I still feel like my G35 is much more reliable than the GS. I always admired the "look" of the GS so much that I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I first purchased mine. Motor and tranny is rock solid and very reliable. Probably more reliable than majority of the luxury makes and models out there. But when it comes to the suspension, in my opinion, rock bottom.
Old 04-10-14, 08:32 AM
GS498
Driver School Candidate

You have sone really great cars in your stable! Especially the 92 Accord...ahh the good 'ole 4th gen Accords. Your son has (IMHO) one of the best generations of the Accord...I'd keep it.

I am a bit surprised to hear of fellow GS owners having expensive issues with these cars. I bought my 98 GS400 in 2009 with 88k miles. It now has 170k miles and the most expensive "repair" I've done was a set of struts and ball joints. I consider this routine maintenance. I've had no check engine lights or engine repairs of any sort. The only electronic features that don't work are one of the power door locks on the passenger side door and the stereo lcd screen is blank. Not shabby at all for a 16 year old car and a first year new model at that! Car runs like a dream with no rattles, creaks or moans.

The one thing I do miss in the GS is a trip computer...and IIRC, the xle trim of the Avalons had a nice trip computer on the dash. The ice blue back lighting at night is more pleasing than green and I also liked the expandable door pockets that were borrowed from the LS400/430.
Old 04-10-14, 10:50 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The GS does have a few common issues with ball joints and actuators, little stuff like that. It's all about how it's been maintained, if you know your neighbor has taken good care of it I wouldn't be worried. I've had my GS for 6 years and almost 100k miles and it's been very reliable beyond what I'd consider routine maintenance.
Old 04-10-14, 08:59 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

That's very low miles for the gs, I'm currently just about to turn 200k in my gs300, and about to do my first repair (upper ball joints) I have all service records and only repairs in this cars life were lower ball joints (300$) alternator, starter. That's it aside from fluids brakes tires etc and timing belt done twice now as preventative maint, but it amazes me how well my car has held up, even with 200k the paint and leather look like new, no tears or rust, and it still drives like silk, but on the other hand I don't mind putting a little money in to keep it ahead of schedule on repairs because I love this car so much
Old 04-12-14, 11:16 PM
wireman67
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your insights. At this point, I am going to keep my current fleet.
Old 04-14-14, 02:00 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

wow, i can't believe my eyes. You guys actually talked someone out of getting a GS. Though a GS, isn't the perfect car but I never had one issue with any of my GS's. Its been perfect since day one. Ofcourse, I bought my cars Brand-new. I've known a few people who had some issues but their cars was bought Used and their car was maintained well but had these issues. (I wonder, if it has to do with neglect and abuse) You just don't know whats been done to a used car unless you personally know the previous owner.

I have my '99 GS400 for over 15 years now. Not one issue, Its also modded and I run it hard, I track the car on occasion. Still runs as it did when I first bought with 3 miles on her. I would say, not everyone has the same car (mechanically) on here. I also met other forum members who bought their cars new also and they also never had one issue. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, but alot of people on here buy there cars with 100K or 200K miles and it has issues,.. I'm sure if i bought any car at 200K miles, its going to have issues so consider the Source.

You will not go wrong with any Lexus GS as long as you know the previous owner like your neighbor and not a stranger of Craigslist..
Old 04-14-14, 05:29 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
wow, i can't believe my eyes. You guys actually talked someone out of getting a GS. Though a GS, isn't the perfect car but I never had one issue with any of my GS's. Its been perfect since day one. Ofcourse, I bought my cars Brand-new. I've known a few people who had some issues but their cars was bought Used and their car was maintained well but had these issues. (I wonder, if it has to do with neglect and abuse) You just don't know whats been done to a used car unless you personally know the previous owner.

I have my '99 GS400 for over 15 years now. Not one issue, Its also modded and I run it hard, I track the car on occasion. Still runs as it did when I first bought with 3 miles on her. I would say, not everyone has the same car (mechanically) on here. I also met other forum members who bought their cars new also and they also never had one issue. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes, but alot of people on here buy there cars with 100K or 200K miles and it has issues,.. I'm sure if i bought any car at 200K miles, its going to have issues so consider the Source.

You will not go wrong with any Lexus GS as long as you know the previous owner like your neighbor and not a stranger of Craigslist..
Agreed, a cars only as good as it's owner treats it, when I was shopping for mine on Craigslist I saw GS' with 100k that looked beat up, vs some with 200k that looked fantastic, I bought mine with high miles (175) but I trusted the owner and had nearly a book of maintenance records, so I knew everything was done on time, the car had obviously been babied as it still looks brand new inside and out, and it has yet to give me any problems. I expect to get many more past 200k
Old 04-14-14, 06:06 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A properly maintained, 2GS is one of the best used car values on the planet. Great reliability, very comfortable, sporty and still looks sexy on the road.
Old 04-14-14, 06:14 PM
Lmcqueen
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I sounded like I was trying to talk him out of buying the GS, I apologize, that wasn't my intentions at all.
I've owned 2 very similar cars to his current cars, and I've had my GS for almost 3 years now, I thought I met the qualifications to share my experience with all 3 cars he was comparing, and I was just being totally honest with my experience.

I'm glad some of you had zero issues with your GS... and again, the issues I've had (and having) with my GS isn't terrible, just few nagging things that I didn't have to deal with on 2 cars very similar to OP's current cars, and I had like billion miles on them. Come to think of it, I didn't have any issues with the 1986 Mustang GT Convertible either... some minor mods and 140k miles. (everything worked perfectly when I sold it last August.. and it's a FORD!)
Old 04-14-14, 07:00 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Avalons and those old accords are great cars though, my sister and a friend of mine both have 99 avalons with close to 250k and my sister has fixed NOTHING on that thing, it actually rides smoother than my gs
Old 04-14-14, 07:43 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 98 Park Avenue that rode smoother than my GS due to the cloud-like suspension and it also required very little maintenance other than the crappy ignition coils. However, I wouldn't choose it over my GS. It all comes down to personal preference because Toyotas are great daily driving cars. BUT...has anyone ever complimented your Avalon and said it looks "badass" or "sexy as hell"?? Just a thought.
Old 04-15-14, 12:02 AM
blegroswro
Driver School Candidate

You have the new car itch so why not scratch it by getting the GS!

Quick Reply: 2nd Generation GS300 vs 2002 Toyota Avalon