GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Should I get an S4, SRT8 or stick with Lexus GS350 F-Sport AWD?
The '12-13 Audi S4 is the better choice for my criteria
26.32%
The '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee is the better choice for my criteria
7.89%
Are you kidding? Anything less than a Lexus will be a disappointment
57.89%
Um, I don't know ... good luck
7.89%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Am I crazy to consider a S4 or SRT8?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-14, 08:54 AM
Lexusjg1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go for it. Yes the Gs400 is very reliable, and fast. But its 1997 fast. There's nothing wrong with change. I'm about to get rid of my 2004 Gs300. I was going to go the whole turbo route but now I'm looking at an S5 v8 or a Srt8 Challenger. I'll be keeping my 2000 Gs400 though. Lol
Old 06-11-14, 07:16 PM
cmara2k9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusjg1
I say go for it. Yes the Gs400 is very reliable, and fast. But its 1997 fast. There's nothing wrong with change. I'm about to get rid of my 2004 Gs300. I was going to go the whole turbo route but now I'm looking at an S5 v8 or a Srt8 Challenger. I'll be keeping my 2000 Gs400 though. Lol
Damn straight you'll be keeping the GS lol
Old 06-12-14, 06:28 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In stock form the SRT's can be kinda "Yawn". A simple hand held tuner can wake the car up. Even simply pulling the neg. terminal on the battery will reset the ECU's Learning capabilities.

I love this car. For minor tweaks, most aesthetic it's a blast to drive in relativity stock form. 1st to 3rd wheel spin in a 4800lb car never gets old.

Last edited by SprtDesign; 06-26-14 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-12-14, 06:35 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

joe, did you say the SRT 8 comes with Bilstein coils or S/S? i messaged you about that some time ago....

Or did your come modded
Old 06-12-14, 09:21 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

It's a shock/spring combo. Bilstein HD dampeners and SRT specific springs. Sits decent for stock.

Old 06-12-14, 09:25 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SprtDesign
It's a shock/spring combo. Bilstein HD dampeners and SRT specific springs. Sits decent for stock.
yea looks good. I browse eBay and cars.com and found many with higher miles. one of my favorites when they first came out. I sat in one at a car show and the recaros are really comfortable
Old 06-14-14, 12:09 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Good luck guys. IMO American cars are garbage. I was looking into a few choices between a Charger SRT8, Cherokee SRT8, Magnum SRT8.... Needless to say, GOOD LUCK tryna find a SINGLE CONSUMER REVIEW where they (a.) Talk problem free (b.) State they've driven remotely past 120k miles with it (c.) Mention a cheap repair.. Forget Dodge get an IS F.... 2008 models are running for low nowadays.... Why go from reliable luxury to overpriced garbage?
Old 06-24-14, 12:33 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove a Cadillac CTS-V sedan last week and was really impressed. It's got some muscle! Real muscle. The V is plenty good enough that I could do it, but I'm doubtful of its true winter capabilities. I've got it at the top of my list ahead of the Jeep (last place) and S4 (second place).

Cons (or at least stuff that isn't a clear pro):
* RWD is a far cry from AWD and its 400ft tq at idle (!!!) feels like it'd easily overwhelm snow tires. I think I'd have to idle off from each stop! Ugh...
* Its smallish 18gal gas tank and poor MPG will ensure that I'm constantly pumping gas. It was eye-opening to realize I'd be refueling every ~175mi versus ~300mi. (Since my 2GS4 isn't exactly fuel efficient, I'm only talking ~$20-45 more each month and that's OK.)
* The new '14 CTS really makes the older CTS-V interior (the "disappearing" navi didn't help) and exterior look dated. It was more than acceptable without any glaring deficiencies, but lacked anything exciting given how far some car interiors have come these days.
* Interior material quality is better than Jeep, but not on par with the S4 or a '13 GS350. The three black plastic pieces on the steering wheel and center console are awfully flimsy feeling. Readouts on the instrument cluster (tach, speedo, etc) are small and hard to read. I'm sure I'd adjust just fine, but it's odd nevertheless.

Pro's:
* Muscle! Has power in spades (duh!) and its traction control isn't a buzz kill (like my Lexus that kills the fun pedal when it senses "trouble"). On left turns from an intersection at partial throttle, I felt the rear end shimmy more than once during the same turn. It's got way more power than I'm used to. I wouldn't get tired of it!
* MR suspension was equally fantastic in both touring and sport mode. It's a very firm ride and I felt most road imperfections through my seat, but the small stuff was highly muted. Felt like there was enough suppleness in the active (?) suspension that it happily ate up the little stuff while still providing a firm ride. I wouldn't get tired of it!
* Has all the features I'm looking for - ventilated seats, remote start, roof, navi, etc.
* Whereas the seats in the SRT GC were uncomfortable, the aggressively bolstered Recaros were dynamite. No change needed!
* I like the utility and novelty of the V Sport Wagon.

Despite the launch of the new CTS, the second-gen is an absolutely impressive car. I'm convinced that it'd be a great 3-season car, but the non-stop refueling and winter capabliity holds me back. I'm even convinced that it'd be reliable enough.

However, the launch of new V Sport begs the question of what the V delivers that the newer V Sport can't for the same $. The V Sport is 90% the performer at the same price, but wrapped in a newer package with loads more shiny features. Unfortunately, it's also RWD. I'm contemplating the V Sport, but am thinking I need to stick to my guns and go AWD.

[Winter blows!]
Old 06-24-14, 03:58 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

OR... you could head south a few hundred miles to Phoenix and drive whatever you want all year round!!! Just make sure the A/C is working.
Old 06-26-14, 01:58 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Good luck guys. IMO American cars are garbage. I was looking into a few choices between a Charger SRT8, Cherokee SRT8, Magnum SRT8.... Needless to say, GOOD LUCK tryna find a SINGLE CONSUMER REVIEW where they (a.) Talk problem free (b.) State they've driven remotely past 120k miles with it (c.) Mention a cheap repair.. Forget Dodge get an IS F.... 2008 models are running for low nowadays.... Why go from reliable luxury to overpriced garbage?
I thought the same. All I had were imports (Lexus, Acura, Nissan, etc.) I've now owned 2 GM's (04,05 GTO's) and now one Chrysler SRT8 300C.

The C does have it's issues mostly all stem from the 2.7 V6. They are horrid. The 05-10 LX platform was pretty interesting as it shared parts/technology from Merc. when they owned Chrysler.

Just like any other car, find one that's been serviced w/ records you should have minimal issues. I've put almost 10K miles on my C and I've owned it since Feb. It's funny they have the same front end issues as the GS and all owners opt to use MOOG parts.

If I could have got a GS w/ a blower for a reasonable price I would have stayed Lexus. For the price I sold my 03 SD GS for I hopped into 370/370 whp/tq. I look forward to my 60 mi commute daily.

Last edited by SprtDesign; 07-05-14 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-27-14, 03:23 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You want FAST and RELIABILITY and LUXURY all mixed in one? Get an IS-F simple and plain bro! Can't beat it. Best bang for your buck.
Old 06-27-14, 06:17 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's RWD. Lacking the important awd angle...
Old 06-28-14, 07:29 AM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Cali, AZ, TX, FL... We shake our heads at your silly snow problems.
Old 07-02-14, 11:23 AM
russellg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go SRT, had some HEMI's and I'm really craving that torque again.. You should also consider the AWD Charger in standard 5.7 form
Old 07-03-14, 11:16 AM
AVSRacing
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

what about an used X5M?? I drove one of those new and they were mental, I find the design pretty sleeper too if you don't know what you are looking at. much less aggressive than the older gen 4.8is.

Quick Reply: Am I crazy to consider a S4 or SRT8?