GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Things I should know before purchasing a 2GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 07:05 PM
Lodus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Things I should know before purchasing a 2GS

Hi, I just joined the forums today as I would like to know more about the second generation GSs'. I am currently looking at purchasing a 1997 V300 Aristo with 45,000km (Picture here & japanese auction sheet) Side note: I do not read japanese so feel free to tell me what that means...
I am also taking a look at this 1997 V300 Aristo with 78,000km (Picture here)

I currently live in Canada, and have only owned one car so far. I just have plenty of questions as what to look for and to be aware of when/if I do purchase one of these vehicles.
What are some common problems with Aristos?
Is there anything I should replace immediately upon purchase?
Is the automatic transmission trustworthy for a few mods? (As in if I want to do anything to the vehicle will I have to replace the tranny?)
The place I would purchase these vehicles from called them a "Toyota Aristo V300 Turbo Belled" What does the "Turbo Belled" part of that mean? I have no clue.
If I were to purchase one of the two
What are some interesting things I could do to the vehicle, to make it look more nicer? (The city I'm from does not have very great roads... So I can't lower it much)
Any interior things I can do, engine things, and exterior things? I just want some ideas.
Old 03-30-14, 07:43 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll give you a rundown from what I understand. The white one has been modified a bit for performance in addition to visual appeal, it has some TOM'S parts on it such as mufflers and calipers, plus a rare TOM'S computer (runs more aggressively and removes boost and speed cuts). The black one is mechanically stock as far as I can tell, but also has some visual modification. Both of them probably have the Japanese navigation in them, which you're going to want to replace. If I was going to get one of those, it would be the white one because of the TOM'S parts.

The "turbo belled" bit probably comes from the importer misunderstanding the abbreviated Japanese "Vertex" in "Vertex Edition" which is "ベルテックス" (be-ru-te-ku-su).

Common problems are going to be the same as the GS, so check your lower ball joints and prepare for maintenance items down the road. The transmission is similar to the auto on the TT Supra and can handle a fair bit of power if you keep it cool.