GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bring on the Snow!!!! (Ok, please don't!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-03, 06:05 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bring on the Snow!!!! (Ok, please don't!)

OK, that was me being too confident.

I'm just happy since this horrible winter has dumped several snow storms here in the east coast (more specifically NJ where I live).

I just wanted to say that my GS performs faily good in snow, which is a huge surprise to me.

Here's my story:

OK rear wheel drive cars like the GS, especially with 17" rims and summer tires (I had the Lexus GS430 OEM set up) perform poorly in the snow. I did notice this during my first winter with this car.

Before the next winter season, I was seriously contemplating buying an extra Wheel and Snow tire set to swap them for the winter (due to last winter's slip and sliding experience), but then I remembered last winter, when it was mostly warm outside and didn't really snow often. This winter I was wrong - it seems to be snowing every week now. This past Friday being one of the more significant ones.

Well I went another route and purchased the same size tire to fit my OEM 17's. The reason being my OEM Bridgestones were on their last leg and had to be replaced and also winter was coming up. I bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all seasons). Remember I am replacing those horrible OEM Bridgestone RE030s.

When I first had the Michelins installed and started driving around before the snow came, I immediately noticed good things. In dry and wet weather the handling was improved, even over the those summer Bridgestone tires. The ride was quieter too which made driving smoother also. I was most happy with this pricey tire upgrade. Also the Michelin tire itself looks great, with its aggressive tread design.

OK, so the snow comes now and often during this winter season and each and everytime I am impressed with my GS and how it actually feels somewhat stable driving through snow. Sure there is still some slip and sliding, but it's minimal for some reason. The combination of the GS's ECT Snow function on and it's other features like traction control in combination with these Michelin's is actually good. I am cutting through snow with some ease, traction control kicks in sometimes, of course you always have to give yourself a lot of room to stop in snow, but overall I've at least been able to move in the snow and not get stuck. My worst fears of just being stuck at work after a day of snowing because my car can't get through it.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is categorized as an Ultra-High Performance All Season Tire with good Winter Traction, but this seems to be the first season it's been tested in the winter, since it's still a fairly new tire model. I thinks it good and the long tread life rating is great too.

Obviously my GS is not even close to being a 4wheel or All Wheel Drive vehicle, but at least I feel secure somewhat in traveling in snow.

The best thing about this story is that I don't have to swap out the Wheels and Tires every season and will keep these on all the time which is ideal for me.

Well my venting is complete and hoped this helped somewhat.
Old 02-08-03, 07:04 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say that is a fair assessment as well.

Providing we don't drive like we have hummers....GS is not too shabby with the ECT snow mode and the ABS functions...
Old 02-08-03, 07:06 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GS4fun
I would say that is a fair assessment as well.

Providing we don't drive like we have hummers....GS is not too shabby with the ECT snow mode and the ABS functions...
You got it and most importantly don't forget the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires! Damn I sound like a commercial here!
Old 02-09-03, 12:08 AM
Alewifebp
Driver

I've had a similiar experience with my Dunlop Sp 5000 Asym's. The stock Invicta's were horrible in the snow (and in general too, but I digress), but have been relatively impressed, especially when they had full tread. After a year of riding on them, and a couple of decent storms that hit NJ, I was able to get where I was going with little drama.

But nothing would beat a set of snow tires, though.
Old 02-09-03, 05:28 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Alewifebp
I've had a similiar experience with my Dunlop Sp 5000 Asym's. The stock Invicta's were horrible in the snow (and in general too, but I digress), but have been relatively impressed, especially when they had full tread. After a year of riding on them, and a couple of decent storms that hit NJ, I was able to get where I was going with little drama.

But nothing would beat a set of snow tires, though.
Alewifebp, are those Dunlops you have also considered a High Performance All Season or a Summer Tire?

You're absolutely right, the key word is LITTLE DRAMA when driving through the snow.

If I were anywhere that usually gets snow high and deep each winter, then I would have no hesitation in putting on another set of wheel/snow tires. Here in central NJ, it's just unclear.
Old 02-09-03, 05:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Hey Lexguynj!

I have had the exact same experience as yourself!

I just bought my 99 GS400 in November last year and the previous owner had just put on new tires. When I looked at the tires - same as your Michelin Pilot Sport (245/45 R 17 H+S), I was a bit surprised as to why he had not put back on Z rated tires.

Anyway, the long and short of this is that my car is drivable in the snow (with the combination of ECT, ABS) and I don't have any fear of being stuck unless ofcourse if we get 12 inches of snow dumped on us! But then, most cars would have a hard time going through that anyway!

So the previous owner switching to all seasons was a good thing and it will work perfectly for me when I upgrade the rims and tires - so I will be able to use the stock OEM 17 inch chromes in the winter (and they look really good), and then the 19 inch Work Equips Chromes in the summer (saving up for these now)!

Bring on the snow!!! Just don't put so much salt on the roads!

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada.
Old 02-09-03, 07:11 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Try a set of snows and you will see just how great the car can do in the snow!

I always think of all season tires as no season tires. I know that's not really fair but having a summer tire and a winter tire really gives you serious stability (even with the stock 030s.). Every time it snows here in Chicago, I am so glad I got my snows. In fact, I got a set of snow tires for my wife's RX300 - that's how much I believe in them.

BTW, I got the Blizzak LM-22 tires on a set of OEM 17" wheels. Picked up the wheels and a spare set of tires (for when the lease is up) from our buddy Steve Gantz at Carson Toyota.
Old 02-09-03, 07:53 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by doug_999
Try a set of snows and you will see just how great the car can do in the snow!

I always think of all season tires as no season tires. I know that's not really fair but having a summer tire and a winter tire really gives you serious stability (even with the stock 030s.). Every time it snows here in Chicago, I am so glad I got my snows. In fact, I got a set of snow tires for my wife's RX300 - that's how much I believe in them.

BTW, I got the Blizzak LM-22 tires on a set of OEM 17" wheels. Picked up the wheels and a spare set of tires (for when the lease is up) from our buddy Steve Gantz at Carson Toyota.
You're right, if I were living in your area, where you get deep snow, I would get Snow Tires in a heartbeat. LM-22s would be my choice too!
Old 02-09-03, 09:22 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hameed
Hey Lexguynj!

I have had the exact same experience as yourself!

I just bought my 99 GS400 in November last year and the previous owner had just put on new tires. When I looked at the tires - same as your Michelin Pilot Sport (245/45 R 17 H+S), I was a bit surprised as to why he had not put back on Z rated tires.

Finally someone that understands! Congrats and thanks for the reinforcement!
Old 02-10-03, 02:38 PM
jcm
Driver School Candidate

Default Rating...

Not surprisingly, this tire is ranked #1 of about 15-20 Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tires by users at tirerack.com. This is my first season on my crappy stock Yokahama 17" tires for my GS430. I live in Maryland and, although we didn't get it as bad as you guys in NJ, it hasn't been pretty ;-) I think that the AM of the first snowfall, on my way to the hospital, I lost control on the highway. I say "I think..." because I'm pretty sure I've repressed the memory. The fear that results from coming face-to-face with your maker can do that to a guy! I think I'll get me a set of these Michelins!!!
Old 02-10-03, 02:50 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I strongly considered that very tire, but decided that, since Arkansas gets so little snow, I'd go ahead and get the S-03s (and since I have the RX with CTXs available). They've been on a month and we (of course) have had two snow "events" (as our weather wusses down here have taken to calling them) since then.

And the GS stayed at home.............

But the S-03s are cheaper..............

Life is full of compromises.
Old 02-10-03, 07:51 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Rating...

Originally posted by jcm
Not surprisingly, this tire is ranked #1 of about 15-20 Ultra-High Performance All-Season Tires by users at tirerack.com. This is my first season on my crappy stock Yokahama 17" tires for my GS430. I live in Maryland and, although we didn't get it as bad as you guys in NJ, it hasn't been pretty ;-) I think that the AM of the first snowfall, on my way to the hospital, I lost control on the highway. I say "I think..." because I'm pretty sure I've repressed the memory. The fear that results from coming face-to-face with your maker can do that to a guy! I think I'll get me a set of these Michelins!!!
I too read all the good things about this Michelin tire on Tire rack and elsewhere.

Glad you are OK, Ironic that you were on the way to a hospital!

Remember my fellow 2001 GS430 friend, the Michelin's are good in snow, but we're still not invincible out there. But I do feel safer and more confident with these Michelins than the stock summer tires that were on before.

For those lazy like me that don't want to swap out for true snow tires during the winter, this ultra-high performance Michelin tire is the way to go year round!
Old 02-10-03, 07:53 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by mooretorque
I strongly considered that very tire, but decided that, since Arkansas gets so little snow, I'd go ahead and get the S-03s (and since I have the RX with CTXs available). They've been on a month and we (of course) have had two snow "events" (as our weather wusses down here have taken to calling them) since then.

And the GS stayed at home.............

But the S-03s are cheaper..............

Life is full of compromises.
S-03s are probably one of the best summer tires out there, boy I would like to have them on my GS to feel their performance.

That's why having 2 different cars in the family is best and the other one at least has to be one with 4wheel drive or AWD. This is the set up I need!