GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

transmission oil cooler hose from radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-14, 09:55 AM
saephanh12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission oil cooler hose from radiator?

okay i have done some researches, but no luck...Im wondering can i just block off the 2 tubes from the oil cooler? that connects to my radiator?

problem: i believe my oil cooler is leaking into my radiator and its 160+ for new radiator.

i believe the oil cooler is leaking into my radiator because when i disconnect the 2 tubes from the bottom. the fluid is dirty "dark brown" and thats thats the same color thats in my radiator. i have done some searches and hoping its not a blown head gasket?

Last edited by saephanh12; 03-22-14 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-22-14, 12:30 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You need to flush your tranny fluid using the line going into radiator on driver side. You then need to flush your radiator and get new coolant in there. I doubt your coolant is leaking into the tranny cooler or you would be experiencing shifting issues by now.
Old 03-22-14, 03:45 PM
saephanh12
Rookie

Thanks for the input. yeah I will flush the radiator tommrow. Deffinitly no shifting issue, over heating, white smoke.
Old 03-22-14, 04:54 PM
angelgs
Driver School Candidate

sounds like a blown head gasket..
Old 03-22-14, 05:19 PM
saephanh12
Rookie

im starting to think its a bad hg... but car still driving good.... what other symptom besides the oil in fluid?
Old 03-22-14, 07:40 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by saephanh12
okay i have done some researches, but no luck...Im wondering can i just block off the 2 tubes from the oil cooler? that connects to my radiator?

problem: i believe my oil cooler is leaking into my radiator and its 160+ for new radiator.

i believe the oil cooler is leaking into my radiator because when i disconnect the 2 tubes from the bottom. the fluid is dirty "dark brown" and thats thats the same color thats in my radiator. i have done some searches and hoping its not a blown head gasket?
If you are running a fully stock 2jz, then that's transmission fluid being cooled, not oil. Until you know for sure, whatever you do, don't block the lines. It could cause your tranny to overheat and do irreparable harm. Personally, I don't think you have a blown HG or a leak into your radiator.

I recently did the timing belt service on my GS300. I took the radiator out to do it. I had to disconnect the radiator hoses and those cooling lines that connect to the bottom of the radiator. On my stock GS300 these are transmission cooling lines. Both transmission fluid and Toyota radiator coolant look remarkably close to each other in color. When was the last time you changed tranny fluid? If it's been a while, the fluid is probably just old. It gets dark brown when it gets old, especially if its been burnt in an overheated tranny. Actually, sounds like the fluid in both the radiator and transmission should be changed if they are both dark brown.

If indeed the tranny fluid is leaking into the radiator, then it is possible that it could flow the other way too, that is, into the transmission. Therefore, I agree with burny that the tranny should be flushed. That aside, you can get a radiator from eBay for a lot less than $160.

Last edited by ttaylor993; 03-22-14 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-22-14, 08:26 PM
saephanh12
Rookie

So it's normal for the trans fluid to be in the radiator? I will be getting my trans fluid flush tommrow for $130.00... Should I buy a new radiator also?? Let me know asap bc the guy is coming around 10 am
Old 03-22-14, 09:06 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

So it's normal for the trans fluid to be in the radiator? I will be getting my trans fluid flush tommrow for $130.00... Should I buy a new radiator also?? Let me know asap bc the guy is coming around 10 am
The transmission cooler is located within the radiator. So it's normal for those lines at the bottom of the radiator to hold red transmission fluid, which will turn dark brown or black with age. But, the transmission fluid should not be mixed with the radiator fluid. Although it can be difficult to tell if they are since both fluids are red. Unless the radiator has been damaged by accident or a puncture, I have never heard of the transmission fluid mixing with the coolant in a properly maintained 2jz engine.

Depending on the mileage of the car, I would be careful about a transmission flush on a high mileage car. The have been know to leak or slip after a flush. A safer (and cheaper) alternative is a slow drain and fill.

If you remove those lines, approximately 2.2 quarts of fluid will run out. Since the tranny holds a little over 8 quarts, it will take several drain and fills to completely (or nearly completely) change all the fluid. Put those 2 quarts back, run it a hundred miles or so, let out another 2 quarts and fill it again. I believe if you do this 8 times you will change virtually all the fluid in the transmission. This way puts a lot less stress on the tranny seals and what not.
Old 03-22-14, 09:32 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

problem: i believe my oil cooler is leaking into my radiator and its 160+ for new radiator
i found a denso radiator on rockauto for half that price shipped. might wanna check it out.
Old 03-22-14, 09:48 PM
saephanh12
Rookie

my car has 320k miles. so i shouldnt do a trans flush? and just a drain and refill? the 2 tubes thats connect to the bottom of my radiator known as the oil cooler. is dark brown? so its better to leave it as is and just drain refill?
Old 03-22-14, 09:50 PM
saephanh12
Rookie

i purchase the vehical from a young lady who mother passed it down to her. she doesnt know much beside putting gas in the car. the head look like it has been sent to a shop and rebuilt. as in the color scheme. the block idk.
Old 03-22-14, 09:51 PM
saephanh12
Rookie

honestly the car drive great/ strong/ smooth/ no lag/ slip in gears. what concerns me is what i found in the radiator...

Last edited by saephanh12; 03-22-14 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-22-14, 10:02 PM
saephanh12
Rookie

i really appreciate the time and answers you all given me.. i will forsure have my coolant and trans flush overall tommrow!!!! i will updates with pictures and aftermath of the radiator
Old 03-22-14, 10:36 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

honestly the car drive great/ strong/ smooth/ no lag/ slip in gears. what concerns me is what i found in the radiator...
Except it wasn't the radiator, it was fluid from the transmission cooler. They are not the same thing! It is perfectly normal to have a reddish fluid come from here, except it sounds like the fluid is old. You seem to be fixated on the oil-mixed-with-coolant possibility. Oil in this instance is not motor oil, it is automatic transmission (A/T) fluid. Remember, this is a Japanese car and the terms we use are not always interchangeable. I doubt the car would have lasted 320k miles without proper maintenance. With proper maintenance, these motors are darned near indestructible.

Without some maintenance history, it is hard to say whether you should do a true flush or not. Here is the problem. As the tranny gets older, the seals and what not tend to shrink. But varnish and other particulates in the fluid fill the gaps left by the shrinkage. So, the tranny doesn't leak or slip because it stays tight. When you do a full flush, the chemicals that are used loosen up and remove this buildup. Now, those shrunken seals no longer hold pressure. Therefore, you have leaks and slippage. Again, I would do a drain and fill rather than a flush.

Anyway, I have attached a file that describes the entire 2jz cooling system. It clearly shows that the A/T oil cooler (as it is described) is a separate, closed system from the coolant system (page 22 of the diagram). Hope that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2JZ Cooling System.pdf (881.3 KB, 870 views)
Old 03-23-14, 09:43 AM
saephanh12
Rookie

morning! wow very informative! thanks taylor!!!

Quick Reply: transmission oil cooler hose from radiator?