GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

transmission oil cooler hose from radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 07:19 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We're interested in knowing how this works out for you. Let us know whether the cooler was leaking fluid into the radiator. That's good info for the forum. Also, keep us posted on the tranny flush. Let us know if it leaks or slips.
Old 03-23-14, 08:38 PM
saephanh12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well the mechanic flaked on me. and shops do not want to touch my car because of high millage due to there warranties. i bought 2 jug of coolant. 50/50. i took my radiator off and filled it with soap and let it sit for a hr...

i block one side of oil cooler and i blew in the other.. no sign of leaking... So now im thinking its not my oil cooler leaking? maybe just super old oil from maybe a bad HG from previous owner. and they maybe didnt flush the oil/coolant in block? anyways.. i couldnt find the drainage on the block. so i just connect everything back and refill it with new coolant.. and once the car warmed up and coolant flowing around. brown stuff came out again. im thinking its the old old fluid in the block or something..

The head/ waterpump/ timing belt/ looks new...compare to everything else. so im assuming the car recently had a bad hg, and the old coolant/oil is still in bottom block?...
Old 03-24-14, 05:54 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by saephanh12
well the mechanic flaked on me. and shops do not want to touch my car because of high millage due to there warranties. i bought 2 jug of coolant. 50/50. i took my radiator off and filled it with soap and let it sit for a hr...

i block one side of oil cooler and i blew in the other.. no sign of leaking... So now im thinking its not my oil cooler leaking? maybe just super old oil from maybe a bad HG from previous owner. and they maybe didnt flush the oil/coolant in block? anyways.. i couldnt find the drainage on the block. so i just connect everything back and refill it with new coolant.. and once the car warmed up and coolant flowing around. brown stuff came out again. im thinking its the old old fluid in the block or something..

The head/ waterpump/ timing belt/ looks new...compare to everything else. so im assuming the car recently had a bad hg, and the old coolant/oil is still in bottom block?...
Here is something else to think about. Toyota coolant is red or pink. If you mix it with the regular green coolant, it turns a nasty-looking brown rusty color. That sounds like what you are describing in your radiator. Whatever you do, don't mix the two. Toyota uses non-silicate coolant, most of the green stuff is silicate coolant. I really doesn't matter which one you use, as long as you don't mix them. If you mix them it will cause particulates to precipitate out of the coolant and clog your radiator. Last, get one of those cheap radiator flush kits and flush it out. I am not sure the soap was a good idea, but it shouldn't have harmed it. Just make sure you get it all out. I believe the plug you are looking for is on the lower left side of the block near the firewall.

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetai...in+plug+on+2jz
Old 03-26-14, 08:53 PM
saephanh12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crapp.. i guess i need to waste another 20-30 bucks on coolant if im going to flush it out of the block also.. thanks ttaylor your the MAN! i havent check my radiator flush. i will recheck for brown and post pics. maybe it is a crack somewhere or hg. -_-