GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is my starter on it's way out...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-14, 08:59 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Is my starter on it's way out...

I know I'm living on borrowed time as I still have the original starter at 244K miles.

Got the "click-click-click" when I went to starter the 98 GS400 this morning. Had the battery tested and it was fine. After I put the battery back in, it went "click-click-click" and then finally started.

Maybe my battery terminals weren't tightened enough? Maybe my starter is trying to tell me something? What are the symptoms for a starter about to fail?

thanks
Old 03-21-14, 09:36 AM
pdxgs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the starter to me. If you got that much mileage out of the original starter, consider yourself lucky. A lot of people are replacing them at around 150k. It's not expensive if you do it yourself.
Old 03-21-14, 11:02 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ But it is a very lengthy process. On the V8's you have to remove the entire manifold which is a real PIA more than anything else.
Old 03-21-14, 02:07 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You got that many miles out of the original starter? Wow! I've gone through two in 60,000 miles
Old 05-05-14, 07:33 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

After some research, I'm going to get the starter rebuild kit as the most likely problem seems to be that the copper contacts inside that starter are just worn out/corroded inside the starter itself. (Why replace the lamp when you just need a new bulb New Starter: $600+ | Starter Rebuild kit: $40

Removing/replacing doesn't seem that difficult; just time consuming. I'd say if you've replaced your own abs unit and or valve cover gaskets, you're qualified to do this job yourself.
Old 05-05-14, 09:26 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
After some research, I'm going to get the starter rebuild kit as the most likely problem seems to be that the copper contacts inside that starter are just worn out/corroded inside the starter itself. (Why replace the lamp when you just need a new bulb New Starter: $600+ | Starter Rebuild kit: $40

Removing/replacing doesn't seem that difficult; just time consuming. I'd say if you've replaced your own abs unit and or valve cover gaskets, you're qualified to do this job yourself.
We'll said...

Use caution around the knock sensor wires. Takes 3-4 hours.

Good luck
Old 05-19-14, 10:43 AM
ZcarBri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to resurrect this thread with a question-

I too have been experiencing the click-click and was hoping it was just a nasty cable but had an interesting thing happen this morning...

I went to start it and after a few click-click key turns the starter engaged and would not stop turning even tho I had the key off.

Soooooo, that tells me that the solenoid is toast and I am going try the rebuild kit for the solenoid as its $18 my cost vs the $135 for the starter -

Thoughts?
Old 05-19-14, 01:11 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

i'd probably just pick up a lifetime warrantied reman starter and call it a day.
Old 05-19-14, 02:35 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if you've never rebuilt a starter, then be ready for a mess and you'll definitely lose some hours

its fun. but IMO not worth the trouble.

and where is this lifetime warrantied reman starter? and what are the restrictions on the warranty
Old 05-19-14, 02:51 PM
bonesnj0
Rookie

I just rebuilt the Solenoid wanted to keep starter itself as remans are junks IMO.
Old 05-19-14, 03:45 PM
tereck
Driver

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
I know I'm living on borrowed time as I still have the original starter at 244K miles.

Got the "click-click-click" when I went to starter the 98 GS400 this morning. Had the battery tested and it was fine. After I put the battery back in, it went "click-click-click" and then finally started.

Maybe my battery terminals weren't tightened enough? Maybe my starter is trying to tell me something? What are the symptoms for a starter about to fail?

thanks
Just take ir starter to a place where they rebuild them. Better then aftermarket.
Old 05-19-14, 04:25 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by marshun

and where is this lifetime warrantied reman starter? and what are the restrictions on the warranty
If a part fails during the warranty period shown on your receipt, bring the part to any AutoZone store and you will receive a replacement or refund. Warranty excludes damage caused by misuse, abuse, other faulty parts, improper installation or off-road, commercial or marine use. Warranties on replacement parts cover the unused portion of the original warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer. Warranties expire when you sell your vehicle.
THIS LIMITED WARRANTY REPRESENTS THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF AUTOZONE, FOR ANY PART OR PRODUCT. AUTOZONE MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. AUTOZONE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.
Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, or exclusion or limitation on incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.
All of AutoZone's parts, except those mentioned above, are covered by our Limited Warranty. The length of AutoZone's Limited Warranty varies with each part.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...11092_48987_0_

just one example, but they exist at your kragen/pepboys as well.
they're denso remans so i have no issue with them.
Old 05-19-14, 06:23 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offbad
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...11092_48987_0_

just one example, but they exist at your kragen/pepboys as well.
they're denso remans so i have no issue with them.
thanks for the reply. i was hoping for one of those warranties where they messed up so i could just get a new one whenever. lol

but ive never had too many problems with any remanufactured car parts.
Old 05-19-14, 08:25 PM
josey88
Driver

The problem with the GS starter is how to get to it to replace it .
I understand that the intake manifold have to be taken out to obtain access to it , so I can imagine the amount of work needed just to get to the starter ... I think that Lexus either had it wrong on this one , or they assumed that everyone that has a Lexus , would have the cash to pay for the work at the dealer .
So, after doing all of that to replace the damn thing , it better be a good one that would last a long time so you won`t have to do all of that disassembly again in 3 months
Advance Auto Parts sells lifetime warranty on their starters and I think that Auto Zone does it too . I had a 2001 Taurus and when the starter failed the first time , I bought the remanufactured starter from them with lifetime warranty . I was glad I did because I had to replace the starter 3 more times on the following 3 years , but the Taurus starter is very easy to install , with just 2 bolts... .can you imagine taking out the manifold on the Lexus 3 times ? But , to the store credit , I never had a slight trouble obtaining the replacement , just brought in the nonworking starter and they just handed the other one right away . The have the records on computer , so you don`t even need the receipt .
So, even thou it has a lifetime warranty and you don`t pay for the starter never again , it is difficult to install it on the GS, so make sure you get a real good one .

Last edited by josey88; 05-19-14 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 08:12 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Yea its time consuming man. No question. Took me about 5 hours because I got confused at one point while disassembling the manifold

Quick Reply: Is my starter on it's way out...