GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Headlight restoration, anyone tried this way??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 10:59 AM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious what you guys use to seal headlights, I've seen some stuff for like 60$ but don't know if it's worth it..
i personally use the optimum opti lens permanent coating. manufacture advertise that it is a permanent coating and thus far its been a good two months since i restore my headlights and its doing its job keeping the haze from coming back. i also did two other sets for my friends and theirs look good too.
Old 03-23-14, 06:58 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after being disgusted that the non acetone nail polish remover didnt work I tried a different but similar method. The lense was clean from the first try so I just needed to get it a little smoother. I used just two light dabs of N/A NPR on a cotton round and got it back to clear. This way it wasnt as much NPR on the lens. Then it hazed over. I waited about a minute for any slight hint of wetness to dry. Then, out of laziness really, I put a small amount of scratch remover/ rubbing compound on a cotton round and began to treat the lens. It worked perfect. It still has a slightly almost not noticeable aged look but not because of dinged yellow haze. There are deep fatigue age cracks in the lens. Like tiny cracks. Not really noticeable till you get your eye 6 inches close to the lens. But as for the lens being restored to clear Id call it a perfect success.

SO in brief summation, non acetone nail polish works as long as you dont use too much. AND if you chase any haze off with some rubbing compound. :-)
Old 03-23-14, 07:19 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

SO in brief summation, non acetone nail polish works as long as you dont use too much. AND if you chase any haze off with some rubbing compound. :-)
so in other words, using just a little of the non acetone, you can skip the wet sanding process and just follow up with a rubbing compound and seal?
Old 03-23-14, 08:11 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

I didnt do a sealer. Looks fine. ill see how long it lasts. All I did was wipe with nail polish remover, let dry, rubbing compound, wipe away any left over compound with a micro fiber cloth.
Old 03-23-14, 09:32 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

MIRACLE In a package for redoing headlights, hands down the greatest ever, and I've bought them all, $25 at Wally World with jaw dropping results...

Name:  WTrqPnp.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  19.0 KB
Old 03-24-14, 01:37 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FlockoV8
MIRACLE In a package for redoing headlights, hands down the greatest ever, and I've bought them all, $25 at Wally World with jaw dropping results...

Interesting I've never seen this before, how does it work?
Old 03-24-14, 10:58 AM
LovelyIdol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FlockoV8
@lovelyidol u revised your previous statement and are new here thus I believe u are trolling sir, and no pics...

I believe if u do this method people, u will have to clearcoat the lenses to get rid of the haze, thus taking them off the car, I'd rather do it the old fashion way, wetsand, seal, SAFE...
Sorry, I am uploading pictures now. I have more important **** to do than sit on the computer all day.

The non acetone worked, you cant use too much and make sure the cotton ball or pad or whatever the **** you use is thicker, denser, just more cotton so you can wipe on and wipe off simultaneously. This helps the lens from being eaten and spotting or whatever. This is great if you are planning on buffing it anyway because it cleans up the headlight and doesnt end up ****ing your pad up (longer life for the buffing pad). You can also dilute the non acetone nail polish remover with water to soften it a little if you have no idea what you are doing and have absolutely no control. My headlights are beat to **** FYI but they still look way better compared to what they did. Sorry dont have the yellow picture of them but lets face it, you know what they yellow looks like if you are looking into this.

With just acetone diluted to test it out

Non acetone

Acetone headlight rubbed with Meguiar's scratch x on a microfiber cloth for about 40 seconds

Non acetone rubbed with Meguiar's scratch x on a microfiber cloth for about 20 seconds

Ignore the ****ed up bumper and the fact the headlights aren't bolted on, still waiting for the container to get here with the cool ****.
Old 03-24-14, 12:25 PM
RoMiLex
Driver

my results were close to the same with the above pics. But no surprise, he used a very close method as i did.
Old 03-24-14, 09:38 PM
LovelyIdol
Driver School Candidate

Okay letting a car flash got a minute to respond. Honestly, if your headlights are that bad, even wet sanding and buffing them will only do so much. When they are beat up like mine, it's time to get lower mileage or new headlights that aren't beat up. I wanted to test it since I have my good set waiting for everything else to get here so you guys have something more solid to go off of.

Rubbing compound and a buffer are always going to work the best though, but this something you can do quickly without blowing lots of money if you don't have the skills or tools already
Old 03-25-14, 11:00 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Flitz Polish works pretty well just rub it on with a terry cloth
Old 03-25-14, 08:48 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

if you polish and do not seal, your headlights will begin to haze up in about one summer if you park outside.

I posted in other threads with this same advice, but go ahead and try your sealers, but if you really want to do something, seal it; but then go further and put paint protection film

This can be the stuff for the body or like xpel's headlight specific PPF; but get good stuff.

If you don't want to undertake this yourself, call around to local PPF places to see who will do it for you. Be sure to check reviews to see they know that they do good work, and are up to date with the latest and greatest films and not old stuff.

The adhesive in the PPF will also help to fill in any remaining scratches/gouges and other imperfections even orangepeel from your sealant to provide a more optically clear result (because the outside of the film is a factory smooth surface).

This is more expensive but you will be sure you are done, your headlights are protected and your elbow grease doesn't just go down the drain wihtin a year.

Last edited by raytseng; 03-25-14 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 08:03 AM
ELLeon
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default I used a mothers restoration kit

These are the results I got

Pic of headlights

Before

After first light

All done

Last edited by ELLeon; 03-26-14 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 12:04 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't beat wet sanding and polishing,
Old 03-26-14, 11:42 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Has anyone bought replacement aftermarket headlights like from headlight depot or another site, I've seen new sets for under 200$ but thought maybe the quality would suck and they'd fog up fast
Old 03-27-14, 12:27 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Has anyone bought replacement aftermarket headlights like from headlight depot or another site, I've seen new sets for under 200$ but thought maybe the quality would suck and they'd fog up fast
You could always use just the lens from them. You'd have to see the effort to bake them though.
I think atleast 90% of the headlights I've seen can be saved by just wetsanding and polishing so the lens change would be the last thing to do.

Quick Reply: Headlight restoration, anyone tried this way??