GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Just bought a GS300 250k Miles, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-14, 11:48 PM
BenjiB707
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Just bought a GS300 250k Miles, need help

Hey first off I'm new to this forum and I've really been compelled about the user community and all the support/feedback that I'd seen I'd like to thank all of you. Back to the car.

I just bought a Black GS300, 250k miles and I was wondering what I should do for the maintenance? I already did the Oil/filter change (5-30 Castrol Synthetic w/ Bosche Filter) and even do a treatment of sea-foam which did very well, I was thinking about spark plugs/wires and even the automatic transmission fluid flush.. My car kind of hesitates and when my car's going 50+ miles an hour and I floor it theres not much power going to the engine (basically slow when I want to accelerate to say 50 to 60+ miles an hour.)

Basically I really just want the car to run me another 50k miles and is that possible with these type engines?

Thanks everyone

Kind of off topic but has anyone ever cut 2 6x9" holes in the rear deck to put speakers? Any tips or advice you have?
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a GS300 250k Miles, need help-img1018.jpg  
Old 03-20-14, 12:07 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default .

At that mileage you DEFINITELY want to make sure you drain and refill the transmission fluid a few times to get all the old black fluid out and change the spark plugs and that should solve all the hesitation and make it drive like a new car again. If that doesn't fully fix the problem but I guarantee it will help a lot try the MAF sensor as those go bad and who knows what was changed at those miles. First start with the tranny fluid and spark plugs for sure. And then do flush out the old power steering fluid as well as the brake fluid by turning the wheel to get all the old fluid out and when doing the brakes pumping the brakes to flush out the old fluid. That will make the steering much lighter and the brakes more responsive. All these things combined will make it drive like a new car again.
Old 03-20-14, 01:11 AM
BenjiB707
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for response!!

I will do the tranny flush and refill.. What type of fluid do I use? Also what spark plugs do you recommend for the cost. (also how hard is it to change?). I heard I can just clean out the MAF with CRC cleaner?? Brakes are find but the steering IS a little stiff, so do I drain the power steering fluid aswell? What type of fluid do I use and where is the draining plug/bolt for the tranny/ps fluid ?

THANKS so much
Old 03-20-14, 07:25 AM
Likini
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BenjiB707
Thanks for response!!

I will do the tranny flush and refill.. What type of fluid do I use? Also what spark plugs do you recommend for the cost. (also how hard is it to change?). I heard I can just clean out the MAF with CRC cleaner?? Brakes are find but the steering IS a little stiff, so do I drain the power steering fluid aswell? What type of fluid do I use and where is the draining plug/bolt for the tranny/ps fluid ?

THANKS so much
Use Toyota transmission oil. If your Gs is 01 you can clean your MAF w/ CRC MAF CLEANER but be careful those 2 hot wire on the inside of the MAF not to break it. Soak w/ CRC and gently rub w/ cotton swab. Again be careful.
If you plan to change your plug you might as well change those sparkplug cable too. I'm sure your cable are brittle.
Throttle: since you want to change those plug you must clean the throttle body also. You need also to drain and refill your differential oil w/ new gear oil. All of this is not hard to do just use a little common sense. Differential
I did mine not long ago and I'm not a mechanic.
Good luck and Do it the first time.

Last edited by Likini; 03-20-14 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Add
Old 03-20-14, 07:39 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Dude, search and stop asking all the questions. This car has been around since 98 so a lot of your questions have been answered multiple times. Read the sticky at the top. it has all of your simple answers.
Old 03-20-14, 08:03 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

250k on the clock huh? I hope you got a really good deal on that purchase.
Old 03-20-14, 09:09 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

why do you want 6x9?

just open the door panels and go 6.5"
Old 03-20-14, 10:36 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

DO NOT FLUSH THAT TRANNY FLUID!! U want to DRAIN and REFILL until all the black fluid is out...if u flush she's gonna probally leak like Jenna Jameson on a sinking boat full of sailors...
Old 03-20-14, 10:42 AM
littlebird
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Dude, search and stop asking all the questions. This car has been around since 98 so a lot of your questions have been answered multiple times. Read the sticky at the top. it has all of your simple answers.
you don't have to be rude about it... maybe he wanted to go the direct route and just ask as opposed to searching multiple threads. It's supposed to be a community of friends, not a place where people shouldn't ask questions just because you don't want them to.

but my gs has 336k miles on it. it'll last forever
Old 03-20-14, 11:02 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by littlebird
you don't have to be rude about it... maybe he wanted to go the direct route and just ask as opposed to searching multiple threads. It's supposed to be a community of friends, not a place where people shouldn't ask questions just because you don't want them to.

Wasn't rude at all. I was telling him, along with anyone else who ask these common questions to click on the link above. Why wait for someone to answer your thread when you can read the direct link and have all of the answer for yourself? There is a reason why the mods put that link as a sticky. To avoid these types of threads and I for one don't blame them. Maybe I'm different but I don't like to be spoon fed. I'll rather read and learn the info myself vs. waiting for it to be delivered to me on a silver platter. Guess that's the engineering side of me.

Show a picture of your dial. That's a lot of mileage. What was the mileage at purchase. I only have 126k on mine.
Old 03-20-14, 11:17 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by littlebird
Myth.........
Old 03-20-14, 11:39 AM
BenjiB707
Driver School Candidate

I love to slap lol. I got 2 12"s and 4 Alpine 6.5s in all doors. I want 6x9s
Old 03-20-14, 11:40 AM
BenjiB707
Driver School Candidate

Isn't that use hella bottles of tranny fluid then? So basically unscrew the tranny fluid, wait for ALL fluid to be out, then put more NEW tranny fluid in until it stops draining black?
Old 03-20-14, 11:46 AM
BenjiB707
Driver School Candidate

Here is the GS.. 1999 with 250k. Got it for 3500 with rims. So with a 1999 I can't clean the MAF with the CRC Cleaner???
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a GS300 250k Miles, need help-img1160.jpg   Just bought a GS300 250k Miles, need help-img1161.jpg  
Old 03-20-14, 11:50 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BenjiB707
... I floor it theres not much power going to the engine (basically slow when I want to accelerate to say 50 to 60+ miles an hour.)...
Could also be a fuel pump. I had similar symptoms when mine was going bad, but also included rough idle, etc.

Do you have a check engine light..? Any codes..? You may have to just do like the others have said, search a little and develop an idea of what it could be based on your specific symptoms and what others have experienced/written about.

But in general, at that mileage without any history of the car's maintenance you're better off establishing some kind of starting point for yourself like you already did with the oil & filter change, then do the spark plugs and such.

Quick Reply: Just bought a GS300 250k Miles, need help