GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Age of tires on average when purchased new

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 09:13 AM
cjamie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Age of tires on average when purchased new

Hi,

After 40k+change miles in good weather, highway only miles, I have just replaced my garage queen's OEM tires (A 2002 GS3 and the car + tires were made in 2001)

The new tires were purchased from Costco.com. With blind trust, I didn't check the date code on the tires prior to the job is done. When I look at the date code, it shows 4312. So it appears that the tires are made in the late 2012.

Are these stale inventory which would usually be placed on clearance elsewhere (ie. some tire shelve dot com ;-) )?

Am I getting ripped off by Costco? Thanks for your input...

Sorry about more questions... I had alignment done right after the tires were replaced. To my dismay, I had a pancake flat tire and a very low pressure tire two days later... The issue is that the valve steams were not replaced but some how damaged by Costco. Went back to Costco where they replaced the valves and pumped the tires back up... Now, should I get alignment done again?

Last edited by cjamie; 03-16-14 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-16-14, 10:27 AM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Relax. Take a deep breath.

Tires will sit for a while on some dealer's inventory. On average, depending on who you buy from, you will see tires with those kinds of codes. Ideally, you shouldn't be driving on a tire that is between 6-10 years of age. Anything after 10 years is just plain stupid regardless of how much tread the tire has left. The tire is safe with a 4312 DOT code. Tire rack is an outlet. Their inventory consists mostly of tires that are discontinued or on the verge of being phased out. That's why prices are stupid cheap and codes are high. You get what you pay for.

No you don't need another alignment. Good luck!
Old 03-16-14, 11:22 AM
cjamie
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!

Nice that I don't need to get alignment done again. As for tire-rack, they have given me < 6 month tires in my previous 3 purchases, just that shipping and installation are expensive around me, so I gave-in to the always busy Costco. With the failure to replace the valves and 1+ year old tires (20+% life down the drain)...I was freaking out and thinking to drop membership...
Old 03-16-14, 09:44 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Most tire manufactures will distribute tires that are 4 and 5 years old. Costco will not sell tires that are more than 3 years old. Kinda strange that they damaged your valve stems though. Are you sure they were your original old stems that were damaged during the tire installation? Was it maybe new stems that were damaged or maybe defective valve stems or bad valve cores?
Old 03-17-14, 02:23 PM
cjamie
Driver School Candidate

Hind vision is always 20/20. I remember that they would swap out the valves as part of the installation package. So I didn't specify nor check when I got the car back [bad habit of assuming too much]. The valves were the original ones, the old chrome sleeves are still on the valves. When questioned, the tech also mentioned that they were out of the chrome ones so he didn't change them nor call me to see if I would accept the new basic ones. The old valves were fine with my previous set of tires, so the issue was very clear as in before and after. Further, after the flat had occurred, and after I pumped the new tire back up, I was able to hear hissing sound when I tried to pull or move the valves of these 2 tires [one was flat like a pancake the other one only had 15psi when I measured]. I am not sure how long I have driven on them, based on the visual of the tire's sidewall scuff marks indicates that it couldn't have been long... On the top of that, prior to the last drive of 10 miles distance, I have looked at the tires and they don't look obviously low.

Now, Costco has already addressed the valves on all 4 tires. After some back and forth, they have also agreed to re-order and replace the pancake one. What keeps me up is if the low pressure one sustained any heat damage and if the car is damaged...such as mis-alignment or differential damage. I think I may have worried too much too late... For the future, I will make sure to prepare a script and check-list when going for tire change...
Old 03-19-14, 03:11 PM
cjamie
Driver School Candidate

Sorry that I might be paranoid... Costco finally replaced the tire that went completely flat during the weekend. Now here is another curve ball... The initial 4 tires from Costco were all made in Japan and they were all manufactured in the week of 4312.

This latest tire they have given to me is made in Thailand with the production week of 01/14. I would assume that Bridgestone had gone through some supply issue and switched to a new factory. How much can I assume that this new tire is not better or worse than the other 3? Since the tires are not all identical, is the car safe to drive, should I get them to replace at least to have matching pairs front and back? Thanks and sorry that this question may look dumb and compulsive...
Old 03-19-14, 09:00 PM
lexo98
Racer

Bridgestone is Bridgestone regardless of where in the world it was made. As long as it is the same model I wouldn't be worried.
Old 03-19-14, 09:35 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cjamie
Sorry that I might be paranoid... Costco finally replaced the tire that went completely flat during the weekend. Now here is another curve ball... The initial 4 tires from Costco were all made in Japan and they were all manufactured in the week of 4312.

This latest tire they have given to me is made in Thailand with the production week of 01/14. I would assume that Bridgestone had gone through some supply issue and switched to a new factory. How much can I assume that this new tire is not better or worse than the other 3? Since the tires are not all identical, is the car safe to drive, should I get them to replace at least to have matching pairs front and back? Thanks and sorry that this question may look dumb and compulsive...
Questions aren't dumb but I do think you are over-thinking this whole issue (don't borrow troubles!). If all four tires are the same brand and the same model, then they are a match, even if they weren't all made in the same country. You're OK.
Old 03-20-14, 07:07 AM
cjamie
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! Now I can kick back start enjoying the car once more. Putting all of the service hiccups aside, as they are not the car's fault at all, it is a wonderful car to own and to maintain. This is especially true with the pleasure of this supportive community!
Old 03-20-14, 07:30 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I would NEVER purchase tires that's two years old. You should NEVER ride on any tire thats' 5 years or older. This is a known fact. Google it. The tires that I just purchased, all 4 were made this year. I actually went to the back and selected the tires myself.
Old 03-20-14, 11:38 AM
lexo98
Racer

Picking out the newest tires possible isn't a bad practice if your concerned. I'm curious what tire manufactures say you can't ride on tires older than 2 years and take them off your car in 5. I'm pretty sure it's not the bridgestones he's asking about.http://www.bridgestonetire.com/conte...arranty_EN.pdf

Last edited by lexo98; 03-20-14 at 11:46 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-20-14, 02:51 PM
cjamie
Driver School Candidate

Cool! Thank you, I never got the warranty pamphlet from Costco. Seems like there is another 8 years to go on the tires :-) The car will be 20 years old and perfect for a new set of tires before passing it to my 8 yr old :-D