GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

how to replace charcoal canister on 01 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 09:33 AM
robo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how to replace charcoal canister on 01 GS300

Has anyone had instruction on how to remove the charcoal canister on 2001 GS300?
Old 03-05-14, 11:27 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

There is DIY on the forum not sure exactly where, but using the "search" will find it for you.

How do you know the canister is bad? What codes? Have you tested or replaced the purge valve at the canister, new gas cap, replaced old/broken vacuum lines, PVC valve/grommet, etc?

The canister should be replaced only after all the other things have been checked/tested/replaced.
Old 03-05-14, 11:37 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your evap hoses up front. I was told i needed a new evap cannister also and there was a broken hose up front. I changed the hose and the engine light went away. These cars are old bro check your hoses amd get a leak test if you can. Mine was a 2$ fix yours might be also
The following 2 users liked this post by gsean400:
komar (04-10-24), RVACowboy (08-28-20)
Old 03-05-14, 01:21 PM
robo
Rookie

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
There is DIY on the forum not sure exactly where, but using the "search" will find it for you.

How do you know the canister is bad? What codes? Have you tested or replaced the purge valve at the canister, new gas cap, replaced old/broken vacuum lines, PVC valve/grommet, etc?

The canister should be replaced only after all the other things have been checked/tested/replaced.
The code was is P0440. Yes, I check vaves and hoses already. The valves were good. The valve at the canister was also tested with a 9V battery and the valve was good. There were small craks hoses at the vapor feed area and I replaced all of these hoses but the code still comes up after several hundred miles after reset. All hoses from hood to canister vacumn well. The valve at the canister also work well. I think it's time to change charcoal canister to fix this code (203K miles). I purchased one charcoal canister shipped from Japan for $356.00 including shipping.
Old 03-05-14, 01:24 PM
robo
Rookie

Originally Posted by gsean400
Check your evap hoses up front. I was told i needed a new evap cannister also and there was a broken hose up front. I changed the hose and the engine light went away. These cars are old bro check your hoses amd get a leak test if you can. Mine was a 2$ fix yours might be also
I test all hoses from hood to canister and all hold vacumn well. The valve was also tested and worked as they should. Need to pull the canister out to see how it look. Already purchased a new one.

Thanks,
robo
Old 03-05-14, 05:19 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought charcoal canisters were only on 400s/430s?
Old 03-05-14, 06:47 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know I've got one on my 300 - sits above the differential.
Old 03-05-14, 07:44 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is how I did it without messing with the rear hub and rear control arms, please refer to the diagram below.
I did not take pics, it was very dirty under there and dirt was landing on my face.
Once I had the car jacked up I was done in 90 minutes...
  • Jack up and properly support the passenger side rear of the car.
  • Remove passenger side rear wheel.
  • Remove the rear suspension brace, both sides.
  • Removed the 3 nuts that hold the canister and disconnecting 3 hoses and the 2 connectors.
  • Remove the charcoal canister mounting bracket, 2 bolts on the right side of the assembly.
  • Remove the 6 10mm allen head bolts that hold the RH rear drive shaft to the differential. Mark the alignment of the axle to the differential.
  • Carefully push the axle outward and drop it down to the side.
  • Remove the rubber band type hangers that supports the exhaust pipes. this will give you enough room to move the drive shaft a few more inches out of the way.
  • Remove the charcoal canister assembly. It might take you a few minutes to fit it through the opening.
  • Replacing the new assembly is reverse of removal, including removing the mounting bracket on the right side of the assembly.
  • Torque the drive shaft bolts to 61 ft/lbs in a cross pattern

Old 03-30-14, 09:17 PM
robo
Rookie

Thanks FrankT. I took some pictures and will post it for other people who are interested. My check engine light still came back after changing the canister. It looks like there is leak somewhere. My guess is the hose connecting to the gas tank.

Last edited by robo; 03-31-14 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-31-14, 06:52 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by robo
Thanks FrankT. I took some pictures and will post it for other people who are interested. My check engine light still came back after changing the canister. It looks like there is leak somewhere. My guess is the hose connecting to the gas tank.
They tried to tell you.
Old 08-13-14, 08:52 PM
robo
Rookie

update on code P0440: After changing the charcoal canister, the code came back shortly. I have had this code for about 2 years. Recently my alternator went out. I changed it and the battery was disconnected for a while to perform the job. After putting the new alternator, the code never came back. I have been driving for several thousands miles already. Not sure what the issue was.
Old 08-14-14, 07:54 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyone know exactly where that evaporator hose is on the GS4?
Old 08-16-14, 04:58 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by robo
update on code P0440: After changing the charcoal canister, the code came back shortly. I have had this code for about 2 years. Recently my alternator went out. I changed it and the battery was disconnected for a while to perform the job. After putting the new alternator, the code never came back. I have been driving for several thousands miles already. Not sure what the issue was.
Hmm that's interesting. I've had that pesty code for a while, all the hoses and clamps have been changed under the hood. I also replaced the purge valve at the charcoal canister, but the code still returns. I'm going to double check the hoses at the canister and replace those, BUT I am at 235k with the OG alternator.
Old 08-16-14, 06:15 AM
chek128
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not even running mine at all. I also did the GTE swap and everyone Ive seen do it doesnt hook it back up
Old 06-06-15, 05:02 PM
robo
Rookie

Update: the code eventually came back a gain. Took it to lexus for diagnosis and they told me the rotary (overfill) valve on the top of gas tank leaks. I had 2 valves on the top of gas tank replaced and the code has not come back.

Quick Reply: how to replace charcoal canister on 01 GS300