GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2002 gs 430 with mark levison system installing loc converter please help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 12:34 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clos430
It's simple man.

Disconnect your stock rear subwoofer
Tap your LOC into the subwoofer connector
Run the RCA to your amplifier and your set.
yup. exactly what I did when I had my loc.
very simple. if you do this and its not working. then verify that the stock subwoofer speaker leads are getting a signal from the factory amp/stereo. if they are and everything works, except when you try to connect the loc. then you have another issue.

see my previous response and let me know your answer to that one.
verify to us that your amp is getting power and turning on at the same time as the stock stereo (and off as well)
Old 03-03-14, 01:45 AM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by robertoyou
YES

listen to Clos.
Pick up the signal directly from the wires that are at the subwoofer.
You might be tapping into the wires that are going INTO the amp and not the output ones.
Regardless, give it a try at connecting the loc straight at the wires at the sub.

But just to get some more details. what exactly makes you think its not working? Is your amp even turning on? When you install an amp in your car you will need ground, power, the audio signal source to input into the amp AND a remote wire to signal the amp to turn on. when connecting an amp into a factory system you will need an additional module to make sure the amp turns on with the rest of the system. did you install something to make sure this happens? im thinking perhaps the loc signal is working, but you don't have a remote input on your amp to turn it on- and so youre not getting any sound from the amp. correct me if im wrong.
Nah I know what I'm doing I done this before on ore factory amplified cars never had an issue amps 12 v straight from batt 4 gauge ground to amp is to chassis the amp turns on the sub sound like **** so I think the loc wire leads are hooked up wrong
Old 03-03-14, 01:58 AM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by clos430
It's simple man.

Disconnect your stock rear subwoofer
Tap your LOC into the subwoofer connector
Run the RCA to your amplifier and your set.
Ok so basically it shows u have only 2 input wires going into the loc straight of the sub ur loc doesn't have 4 wires to it for input signal ?
Old 03-03-14, 02:05 AM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

All you need for input is the two wires that would go into the subwoofer. Instead of plugging them into the subwoofer wire them up to the LOC. Positive with positive, negative with negative. All your using is 2 wires plus rca's that go to the amp.
Old 03-03-14, 07:45 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Theres not much that can go wrong with this, its either your using the wrong wires, or the LOC is garbage.
Old 03-03-14, 08:03 AM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

I'm gonna try again today il post more pics and update thanks guys
Old 03-03-14, 04:12 PM
BeatupVR4
Driver School Candidate

What is a loc converter?
Old 03-03-14, 06:08 PM
pyrosharp
Driver School Candidate

I was in a similar situation, I left the stock sub and used a loc on the leads coming off the subs. I would make sure your ground on the amp is solid. So many issues are fixed when you take serious time to set up your amp it is so important. It sounds like your sub is possibly blown, amp is burned up, or your sub is under powered. You could test the if it is the loc if you use a 3.5mm jack to rca to hook your amp to an ipod. The connector is 5$ at walmart and if your sub still doesnt work at this point it's not the sub/amp hookup. If it is your first time you should remember rms watts to rms watts should be about equal. also make sure your subs are wired in correct load for the amp. If its a 2 ohm amp and you wired them in 8ohm you will have issues with underpowering. Im just rambling hear, but just post any questions you have ive done this a few times.
Old 03-03-14, 06:44 PM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pyrosharp
I was in a similar situation, I left the stock sub and used a loc on the leads coming off the subs. I would make sure your ground on the amp is solid. So many issues are fixed when you take serious time to set up your amp it is so important. It sounds like your sub is possibly blown, amp is burned up, or your sub is under powered. You could test the if it is the loc if you use a 3.5mm jack to rca to hook your amp to an ipod. The connector is 5$ at walmart and if your sub still doesnt work at this point it's not the sub/amp hookup. If it is your first time you should remember rms watts to rms watts should be about equal. also make sure your subs are wired in correct load for the amp. If its a 2 ohm amp and you wired them in 8ohm you will have issues with underpowering. Im just rambling hear, but just post any questions you have ive done this a few times.
Wrong this is all new equipment ... However I found the problem and can now offer help to those I'm my situation who wanna keep there hu but add simply a amp and a sub... 1 st u can indeed use ur original subwoofer wires to your loc this is fine however it's not a true full spectrum of audio signal .. Because it still been amplified at the stock amp then to sub wires .. The best place to steal the signal for the loc for our cars that have factory ml is the front speakers in the doors .. U can acheive this thru kick panels anyways mine sounds great I have a 10 " sub factory location and a Rockford amp hope this helps other people remember u can use your rear sub leads but front leads are better it's a full range spectrum of signal and don't ask why it's the ml system is made it's complex also here's my car
Attached Thumbnails 2002 gs 430 with mark levison system installing loc converter please help..-image.jpg  

Last edited by Vipdoutboi; 03-03-14 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 09:16 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BeatupVR4
What is a loc converter?

It's a way to provide signal to a non OEM source.....

So its a way to T off the radio source to an aftermarket amp....
Old 03-03-14, 09:18 PM
SSxblazer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vipdoutboi
Because it still been amplified at the stock amp then to sub wires .. The best place to steal the signal for the loc for our cars that have factory ml is the front speakers in the doors .. )
I was told this too.

Mine is hooked up pre-amp from the left speaker source.
Old 03-03-14, 09:23 PM
Vipdoutboi
Driver School Candidate

Yes either will work rear subwoofer lead or front speaker lead however front is the best option because the signal is a full range audio spectrum and I can't even explain why I was told this by Somone who has years and years experience he said it has somthing to do with amount of hertz the fronts have it's better than the sub output but to be honest I don't think the human ear could hear the diff
Old 03-06-14, 04:44 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Yes either will work rear subwoofer lead or front speaker lead however front is the best option because the signal is a full range audio spectrum and I can't even explain why I was told this by Somone who has years and years experience he said it has somthing to do with amount of hertz the fronts have it's better than the sub output but to be honest I don't think the human ear could hear the diff
you defintely will be able to hear a difference. maybe not in terms of the exact frequencies, but if the subwoofer leads have a significant difference from the fronts then it will make a pretty good differnce in the sound.

i know this from experience. my original system consisted of just a sub and amp. i used a loc converter. i got the signal from the subwoofer wires. it sounded good. i had never tried anywhere else so i didnt even know it could sound different if i connected elsewhere.

a couple of years later i upgraded and had a shop do the work. this time they took the signal from behind the glove compartment where the amp is (non ML) and it sounded pretty damn different. much harder and louder bass. i was surprised and didnt really know why. thought it was maybe just the new equipment or perhaps they turned up the gain on the amps more. now i realize it probalby had to do with the signals that the different wires were putting out.
Old 03-06-14, 04:46 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Wrong this is all new equipment ... However I found the problem and can now offer help to those I'm my situation who wanna keep there hu but add simply a amp and a sub... 1 st u can indeed use ur original subwoofer wires to your loc this is fine however it's not a true full spectrum of audio signal .. Because it still been amplified at the stock amp then to sub wires .. The best place to steal the signal for the loc for our cars that have factory ml is the front speakers in the doors .. U can acheive this thru kick panels anyways mine sounds great I have a 10 " sub factory location and a Rockford amp hope this helps other people remember u can use your rear sub leads but front leads are better it's a full range spectrum of signal and don't ask why it's the ml system is made it's complex also here's my car
love your car.
any pics of the new trunk set up?