GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So i got new wheels... Nitrogen in the tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 10:51 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So i got new wheels... Nitrogen in the tires?

Soo i got a new set of 20s and the guy said the tires were flat and needed to be depressurized.. He said he had nitrogen in the tires and now im kinda worried that maybe the rims need to be re chromed or something. Idk It just didnt feel right i got a killer deal on the rims tho. How should i go about this?
Old 02-22-14, 10:57 PM
Erop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air contains 80% nitrogen, so there is nothing to do.
Old 02-22-14, 11:13 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Erop
Air contains 80% nitrogen, so there is nothing to do.
So i can just go put air in the tires? :} the guy told me i would need to go to a tire shop to them depressurized
Old 02-23-14, 12:10 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Ohh and it also has 2 valve stems?? Whats that for and witch 1 do i use to put air in it? Should i let the left over air out through one and fill thru the other? Sorry for the newb questions iv just nevver seen 2 stems
Old 02-23-14, 12:40 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

Your rims were probably made to have one of those valve stem holes plugged. It's no big deal that there are 2. You should be able to add air through either. Also nitrogen is pretty much air with no moister. You can just add regular air during normal air checks. No need to drain the nitrogen out
Old 02-23-14, 10:02 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

They barley fit also lol
Old 02-23-14, 10:56 AM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

My friend I said this with out most respected ... please please do your research before making this treads up this site it has so much information its not funny ... I troll others sections of the site here due to the fact I can find my answer elsewhere ... you can look at my profile I made very few threads due to the wealth of information here on this site .. just my 2 cents.... fyi nitrogen has less effect on temperature than oxygen so stay the same longer
Old 02-23-14, 10:58 AM
offbad
Lead Lap

> killer deal on rims
> need to be rechromed

pick one.
Old 02-23-14, 11:15 AM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At some point down the road, you will need to rechrome. Unfortunately it's a part of life you'll have to deal with. If your barrels have two valve stem holes, they are more than likely TPMS capatable. The sensor itself usually goes through the second valve hole located on the inner lip.

On some wheels (race wheels) you will see two valve stem holes on the lip closest to the face of the wheel. You'll see these types of wheels on cars that run on nitrogen so the air pressure does not fluctuate in extreme driving conditions. The second valve is just there to allow you to purge or cycle the nitrogen as it is being pumped.

Local tire shops might offer nitrogen. For local or daily driving, it is most beneficial for those who live in higher altitudes. Next time you're traveling up to the mountains, take an empty water bottle and place it in your cup holder. As you drive up, you'll notice that the empty bottle will begin to crackle. It is being compress. The air molecules compress at higher elevations.

Nitrogen will not corrode your wheels. Regular air will if the lines from the compressors aren't bled on a daily basis.
Old 02-23-14, 03:00 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Anyways here are the rims. Hittin the paint shop next week. Hopefully they will be done by the time i order springs. Hope u guys like

Old 02-23-14, 05:50 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had to check the cost of these... They are pretty expensive wheels. Nice find.

MHT Sprint

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 02-24-14 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-23-14, 05:54 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

If you do end up settling on purchasing lowering springs, you'll want to replace the shocks at the same time. The lowering springs will only accelerate wear on the shocks, so you might as well kill two birds with one stone while you're in there.
Old 02-23-14, 07:52 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

Is it so hard to answer the question posted by the op? Granted that yes he could've searched and maybe found the answer himself. Is it much easier to give negative comments than say "search next time op, but here's the answer anyways or here's a link to the answer"? I've seen the pattern that happened in this thread in a lot of the threads where somebody posted a question. I guess some people like to feel high and mighty by beating down on people that is not as knowledgeable as they are. I guess it's hard to be nice or it's not cool for some people.

Op was kinda like trying to strike up a conversation with people in this forum (I've seen that he has made a couple of threads). But what he got is an argument instead.
Old 02-23-14, 08:17 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
Yeah still thinking about it. The roads here are good tho i think i can make it on my stock shocks. I dont remember the last time i even hit a dip..
But seriously, you'll want to replace the shocks if you plan on getting lowering springs. The stock shocks were not designed for a smaller space of travel; they're simply not stiff enough. You will save time, money, and effort in the future.

Last edited by ThomasGS4; 02-23-14 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-23-14, 08:48 PM
gsbs300
Driver

Gsean I think sayan was referring more to the wear and tear parts (control arms, bushings,tie rods ect) as opposed to coilovers,lowering springs,rims ect.Sayan has good advice there, the suspension is a good investment that will keep the car feeling solid.As far as the wheels,if you got them for cheap you can sell them once you get tired of them and make some money for an upgrade.

As far as the spell check police guy,I apologize in advance for my future mistakes too.ENGLISH IS MY SECOND LANGUAGE.

Quick Reply: So i got new wheels... Nitrogen in the tires?