GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-14, 06:32 AM
djwestf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to the Forum, Deanna from Cincinnati
03 GS 300 268,000 miles and was running strong until 8 weeks ago
LITERALLY NEVER ONE SINGLE PROBLEM~~~~ until dun dun dun~~~the timing belt/water pump change
So my precious baby is sitting in mechanical purgatory as I (joined the forum for advice because apparently my mechanic thinks I'm just a stupid girl) so I can at least pretend to be smart while deciding her fate and at same time trying to figure out if he bent my valves during install. Considering I DROVE it there to have it diagnosed~~~hour later phone call "your timings off for whatever reason , You need timing belt kit and water pump ($617). Take him the $, he said would take 7 hours~~~~9 hours later next phone call "it's not good, You have one and only one bent valve, need to pull the head, replace 4 valves , re-machine it, put it back together and charge you $1600.00 more. My one and only question to him before I gave him the go ahead on the belt and pump was will this fix my car? After 2 months of a gazillion Radom misfire codes cylinders 2 and 4 and running terrible. He said YES this will fix all your problems! It took me all of 5 minutes on Gates power grip website to find out that this IS AN INTERFERENCE engine.... He never mentioned possible bent valves. My question is will so,embody be my friend and advise me honestly as to what I should do? Possible wrong pulley install he bent the valve? Because wasn't upfront with me from rip should intake elsewhere for valve repair? Buy a rebuilt cam?
Old 10-08-14, 08:09 PM
ttaylor993
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the car was running without the misfire codes when you took it to him for the timing belt and water pump service and now it does then he caused the problem. He most likely did not set the timing marks correctly when he put the new timing belt on. And it had to be off badly. Even though this is an interference motor, if the timing belt is off a little it may miss. But to bend a valve it had to be off a considerable amount. I would want another fully functional engine - at his expense!
Old 10-09-14, 11:06 PM
HisMajesty
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone.

I dont know how much of a verbal savaging im going to get but I dont own a GS yet. Im dead set on a GS300 as soon as i reach Hawaii 2(ish) months from now. I joined because I wanted to learn as much as I could before I made the purchase. That and if I do make any changes I want to do them right. Anyway, thanks in advance for all the advice and ideas.
Old 10-10-14, 12:15 PM
rorygs300
Driver School Candidate

whats up club lexus, I just picked up my first Lexus yesterday, its an immaculate 2000 GS300 with only 78,500 original miles. I absolutely love this car, at first I had my heart set on an infiniti g35 sedan until I found this beauty on craigslist. How rare is to have a black exterior and a black leather interior?

Old 10-11-14, 01:11 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome Alex to the forums
Old 10-12-14, 01:08 PM
ClassY
Driver School Candidate

Hey, I'm Jon from AB Canada. I just picked up a '98 GS400, 150k miles, fully loaded, has HSD coilovers, 18" Riversides, and a crazy loud exhaust lol. I have a problem with only keeping cars for a few months, but I'm hoping to keep this one for the long haul haha.

I used to own a TT Soarer, and since then I had a bunch of Nissans including a few R32s, and most recently a Silvia S15.

Old 10-16-14, 10:34 PM
cashusclay
Driver School Candidate

Default Whats up

Hi. My name is Clay and I have a Millennium Silver GS430. Bought it the end of 2011. Silver int. Only mods are an injen short ram intake, and sub and amp in the rear.I was in an accident recently where a chick pulled out in front of me at 2am giving not enough time to react and now I need a front bumper, driver side fender, and a hood. If u guys know anybody parting out one PLEASE let me know ASAP! I have a 2003 GS430 and I've been thinking about just doing after market kits but don't want fiberglass(Duraflex was one I was looking at til I saw bad reviews) I want polyurethane. cashusclaync@yahoo.com
Old 10-18-14, 11:42 PM
Rodhog
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys - Names Rod. I'm for down Under in Australia. Gs300 2001 luxury sport owner. Was recommend to come here from facebook as all the info is here and it is. Mostly own Mazda's (Mx-6 GT and 626 wagon)
hope to contribute here and get info.
Old 10-19-14, 10:52 PM
em1turbo
Driver School Candidate

Default New to CL and the Toyota/Lexus world

Hi I'm Paul from Houston,TX. Proud new owner of a 98 DWP GS300 with immaculate black interior. My first Lexus. I've been building, racing, and showing only Honda's for 18+years, so this is a different ball game for me. I've always wanted a white on black Lex. Found this car cheap. Due to rust or close to the ocean. Going to fully restore this car. Owned it for @ 6 months now, and it's getting pretty close to my standards. I'm more of a functional guy (don't do the hellaflush or -camber) spirited driver. Hope I can bring this back to life.
Old 10-19-14, 10:59 PM
em1turbo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by em1turbo
Hi I'm Paul from Houston,TX. Proud new owner of a 98 DWP GS300 with immaculate black interior. My first Lexus. I've been building, racing, and showing only Honda's for 18+years, so this is a different ball game for me. I've always wanted a white on black Lex. Found this car cheap. Due to rust or close to the ocean. Going to fully restore this car. Owned it for @ 6 months now, and it's getting pretty close to my standards. I'm more of a functional guy (don't do the hellaflush or -camber) spirited driver. Hope I can bring this back to life.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1413784593
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...1&d=1413784636
Attached Thumbnails Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-image.jpg  

Last edited by em1turbo; 10-19-14 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 10-21-14, 05:27 PM
A1GS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rorygs300
whats up club lexus, I just picked up my first Lexus yesterday, its an immaculate 2000 GS300 with only 78,500 original miles. I absolutely love this car, at first I had my heart set on an infiniti g35 sedan until I found this beauty on craigslist. How rare is to have a black exterior and a black leather interior?

That's a beautiful GS by the way. But those rims fit perfectly. Those look like they come off the 3rd gen GS. I just got my GS two days ago as well so I will be seek g you on here
Old 10-22-14, 07:01 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Welcome, fellas!
Old 10-22-14, 04:51 PM
Neomoogle
Driver School Candidate

Default New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm new here andI just bought a 2003 Lexus GS430. It's Crystal White with an Ivory interior. It has navigation and Mark Levinson audio (and my subwoofer is currently rattling lol). It's completely stock and only has 64k miles on it, which I'm pretty excited about. I'll see if I can get some pictures soon.
Old 10-22-14, 05:21 PM
rorygs300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by A1GS3
That's a beautiful GS by the way. But those rims fit perfectly. Those look like they come off the 3rd gen GS. I just got my GS two days ago as well so I will be seek g you on here
the previous owner told me the rims were from an 08 GS. I really like them for them only to be 18" wheels
Old 10-26-14, 02:39 PM
chungmeow
Driver School Candidate

Recently purchased a Silver 99 GS400 fully loaded with black leather interior. I took a look behind the radio and other compartments to realize previous modifications were made and replaced with junky stock parts.

A few things have been going awry so I joined the forum in attempts to fix everything myself. There's only 128k miles on it so I'm hoping these minor issues can be resolved without any further complications. So far I've been reading and searching through previous threads and i believe i'm at the right place.

My name's Brian and I'm from Chicago. Cheers

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 2GS owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE