GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Purchasing a high mileage gs300? HELP AZ

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 06:22 PM
StxlfvsGS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a high mileage gs300? HELP AZ

Hi, I am new to the forum, but I am going to look at a 2001 GS300. It looks very clean but has 244k on the odometer. It blue books at $3,800 and some change. I'm probably going to get it for $2900. I just would like to know some members opinions on the vehicle. I will add the link. It is the third owner and they've had it for 4 years.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4303233027.html

Last edited by StxlfvsGS3; 02-08-14 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-08-14, 06:53 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it. It looks well kept. Dont let the miles scare you. If u need me to look at it with you PM me i live in the sellers location.
Old 02-08-14, 07:06 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

heck yeah. looks clean considering mileage and age. did they do maintenance timing belt etc.. and plan on replacing your ball joints ( its just a common thing with 2GS ). $2900 sounds good for a pretty clean 01
Old 02-08-14, 07:11 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Agree with other posters. Looks clean and in good shape. I would presume if it had the same owner for the past 4 years the maintenance was kept up. I'd ask to see the records just to be sure. Lot of car for around $3k.
Old 02-08-14, 07:18 PM
StxlfvsGS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sevenevez
heck yeah. looks clean considering mileage and age. did they do maintenance timing belt etc.. and plan on replacing your ball joints ( its just a common thing with 2GS ). $2900 sounds good for a pretty clean 01
Yeah the guy told me that the timing belt would need to be replaced. Replacing that isn't an issue for me, but will I be able to drive it for a little while until I can get it replaced?
Old 02-08-14, 07:37 PM
Sevenevez
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

haha, i aint a doctor man. only jesus can take that wheel. i dont know how long its been since the last time it was changed. i mean, put it on your whiteboard or on your priority list. you dont want to start off on a bad foot. you are getting the car for such a good price that the piece of mind to replace it can start off a good relationship . but i understand. seems i always have something on one of my cars that needs attention but my bank account cant give it. regardless, if everything else is cool the price is right.
Old 02-08-14, 07:51 PM
StxlfvsGS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by egs21
Agree with other posters. Looks clean and in good shape. I would presume if it had the same owner for the past 4 years the maintenance was kept up. I'd ask to see the records just to be sure. Lot of car for around $3k.
Yeah I definitely will ask them about that. I'm pretty stoked if it's really a good deal. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Sevenevez
haha, i aint a doctor man. only jesus can take that wheel. i dont know how long its been since the last time it was changed. i mean, put it on your whiteboard or on your priority list. you dont want to start off on a bad foot. you are getting the car for such a good price that the piece of mind to replace it can start off a good relationship . but i understand. seems i always have something on one of my cars that needs attention but my bank account cant give it. regardless, if everything else is cool the price is right.
Lol, yeah your right man. It definitely will be number one on my list. I actually am planning to either have the engine rebuilt or maybe swap a 2jzgte. I feel you on the bank account.

Thanks everyone again for giving me your two cents. I'm glad I made the decision to register. 😁
Old 02-08-14, 11:59 PM
Chankeye
Driver

i bought my 03 gs300 at 214,000 miles. Did a carfax, test drove it, and found nothing majorly wrong with it. My main concern was that the engine and trans was still solid, the interior was fairly clean, and the paint was in decent condition. suspension parts are easily replaced so it wasn't that much of a concern in that area. I've had the car for a little over a year and have replaced the timing belt/ tensioner, lower balljoints, 1 front wheel bearing, caster arm bushings, radiator, and did a transmission drain and fill within that time period. Car is still rock solid and most people that see it don't really believe it has as high mileage as it does. These cars are amazingly reliable if taken care of properly so i see no reason not to buy that car in your craigslist ad. good luck !
Old 02-09-14, 05:45 AM
srob817
Rookie

These cars are really built to last forever. And like most have said even with high miles most of the time they still look new inside and out.
Old 02-09-14, 12:29 PM
mccrimmon
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test drive it, carfax it, ask for any maintenance records, check the vin# on the Lexus website, etc. Looks good from the pics.
Old 02-09-14, 01:24 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by StxlfvsGS3
Yeah I definitely will ask them about that. I'm pretty stoked if it's really a good deal. Thank you.

Lol, yeah your right man. It definitely will be number one on my list. I actually am planning to either have the engine rebuilt or maybe swap a 2jzgte. I feel you on the bank account.

Thanks everyone again for giving me your two cents. I'm glad I made the decision to register. 😁
welcome. Guess ill be blunt a little since some are leading you on. With those miles, that TB needs to be changed ASAP. The owner already told you it needs to be change. Heck you don't even know if its still the original TB. Also if you cant afford to change the TB now, don't even think about a swap. You're talking some grands there.
Old 02-09-14, 02:35 PM
gsbs300
Driver

He never said that timing belt was original.i mean 244k miles on the original timing belt?and nobody is leading him on. Just not trying to criticize and tell him what he can and can't afford like you are.
Old 02-09-14, 04:44 PM
egs21
Pole Position

Umm yeah, there is no way that is the original timing belt. That being said, if the existing timing belt is anywhere near being ready to change, I'd get that done right away. When I bought my 2002 GS300 in July, I had the 90k service done within the first couple months even though the car had only 87k on it. Just wanted that peace of mind.
Old 02-09-14, 05:36 PM
StxlfvsGS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
welcome. Guess ill be blunt a little since some are leading you on. With those miles, that TB needs to be changed ASAP. The owner already told you it needs to be change. Heck you don't even know if its still the original TB. Also if you cant afford to change the TB now, don't even think about a swap. You're talking some grands there.
I actually am going to have the TB done as well as the water pump. I actually got a guy who said he'd do it for $500 with parts and labor. I'm considering a swap down the road. Right now I'm just going to give the car some TLC first.
Old 02-09-14, 05:38 PM
StxlfvsGS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by egs21
Umm yeah, there is no way that is the original timing belt. That being said, if the existing timing belt is anywhere near being ready to change, I'd get that done right away. When I bought my 2002 GS300 in July, I had the 90k service done within the first couple months even though the car had only 87k on it. Just wanted that peace of mind.
Yeah, original TB or not I'm going to get it changed with that kind of mileage within the first week

Quick Reply: Purchasing a high mileage gs300? HELP AZ