GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Fog Lights ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 06:18 PM
czr73
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog Lights ONLY

I want to be able to turn on the fog lights only all by themselves.

Can somebody tell me how this can be done, step by step, or should I just take to a shop and have them do it?

Thanks,

Czr =)

Old 02-05-14, 06:32 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I think I have a way, but too cold to mess with it. There is a rewire mod, but that is honestly too much a pain. Have to take the steering column cover off. When it warms up I will mod mine and see. I need to find a Lexus tech from Europe or Japan to find the service manual to confirm my fix.

The non US cars have them able to be on (seeing what I found betting that the parking lights STILL must be on),. but the the fogs won't then turn off when the high beams are turned on and won't turn off if parking lights are on.

It is crucial in heavy fog to have the headlights OFF and fog lights on only to see properly, but it is illegal to do that in the US. I think it is flat out wrong that the US has a law like that. The key is the get the headlights off so they won't glare in the fog.

But too, it is a rare find to find GOOD fog lights. Like Bosch 500's or Hella 550's.
Old 02-05-14, 06:33 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

there is DIY in the GS section. you could try google searching " banana GS DIY"
Old 02-05-14, 06:55 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

It works but it is not NEAR as simple as what I have in mind. Just need some good weather. Going to be -10F or so tomorrow morning. I don't do sub zero steering column work anymore. I have done it toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times.

Originally Posted by tmf2004
there is DIY in the GS section. you could try google searching " banana GS DIY"
Old 02-05-14, 07:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

if you have a simpler way do tell lol. the method I mentioned in my post above does look a little complicated to tackle .
Old 02-05-14, 08:05 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

I have to gather up the wiring schematic and get my column apart to show pictures on it. Problem is it is a hunch what is there, I can't see it to know for sure till I get it apart and test it. Don't want to take a chance on someone burning up a steering column if I am wrong!

When you look at the schematic, there is what appears as an external wire in the headlight switch that I think if grounded, I think will override the break to the relay to turn the fog lights off when high beams or parking lights are on. I think non US cars have this grounded. The high beam break switch is likely there on non US cars, but unused.

I have to find the schematic.

Last edited by RamAirRckt; 02-05-14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-05-14, 08:12 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Interested to see if it could be done that simply!
Old 02-06-14, 04:26 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

if you have a simpler way do tell lol. the method I mentioned in my post above does look a little complicated to tackle .
Your are right, it "is" time consuming, however do it exactly how it is shown. Banana's mod has been in my gs for about 2 years...no issues. I would think Any fog light mod that is suppose to work "properly" is going to take you atleast an hour to complete. Banana's mod has it own harness and uses the factory relay. No fires mang!! we all got a buddy who almost burned his car down wiring up his 18 million watt system.. IMHO
Old 02-06-14, 05:54 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://bananags.grantham-international.com/

just in case you couldn't find it.
Old 02-06-14, 08:00 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

What I found I believe is the non US proper wiring. So it should be 100% perfect and OEM operation like a JDM/European delivered car.
Old 02-06-14, 04:41 PM
czr73
Driver

Hey thanks, Banana's looks like a great resource. I'm going to study the procedures very carefully and I really hope it's as simple as it looks. I would hate to *** anything up on my beautiful 2GS.

Wish me luck, I'll report back afterwards with details. I'll get to this project in a month or so, right now I'm tackling others mods including front spoiler lip and figuring out the lowest off-set wheels and best set of tires to buy and install. Wheels and tire combos are more complicated then you think, especially since I do NOT want to roll the fenders or mess with the suspension.

Czr =)
Old 02-06-14, 04:58 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
It works but it is not NEAR as simple as what I have in mind. Just need some good weather. Going to be -10F or so tomorrow morning. I don't do sub zero steering column work anymore. I have done it toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times.
Lmao I feel u, nose dripping everywhere, fingers numb, shaking, I vowed that this winter is the winter where I'm doing NOTHING to my car until it ends...anyway op there's a DIY for that
Old 02-07-14, 11:51 PM
KingNasGS4
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you guys would be disappointed to know that I cheated.
I looked at that MOD one day about a year ago and I decided it was too damn cold to be playing around.

I just switched the HID ballast for the foglights to the normal headlight socket
and the foglight ballast to the normal headlight socket.
That way I could switch on the headlights (Now foglights) using the normal stalk switch.
and when I want headlights i put on the foglight switch

Backwards yes. But does the job? Yes. Only catch is you cant have the headlights on without the fogs.

BananaGS Diy is better overall, but I was lazy

Fog Lights ONLY-img_20130505_141309.jpg
Old 02-09-14, 08:29 AM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the write up you mentioned, "bananas gs diy" was pretty straight forward tho. I've done it on both GS's i've owned.

Last edited by 1UGLYGS; 02-09-14 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-09-14, 08:37 AM
kevwats01
Driver

Seen these on eBay,
http://bit.ly/16wROhf

Quick Reply: Fog Lights ONLY