GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1998 gs300 (not turning on) :((( HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 04:12 PM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 gs300 (not turning on) :((( HELP!

Ok guys, I need some help please. I got the code p1121 I know this is the apps but would this make the car not turn on??? I also removed the TPS and it hasnt been adjusted correctly, would this also not make the car turn on? Any knowledgeable commnents or info are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-14, 04:17 PM
SureShot
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4doorscore
Ok guys, I need some help please. I got the code p1121 I know this is the apps but would this make the car not turn on??? I also removed the TPS and it hasnt been adjusted correctly, would this also not make the car turn on? Any knowledgeable commnents or info are greatly appreciated.
what do you mean by not turn on? does it crank?
Old 01-15-14, 11:35 AM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SureShot
what do you mean by not turn on? does it crank?
No crank, battery is good, all accessory lights and radio and electronics turn on when the key is in but when I turn the key to turn on the car is does nothing.
Old 01-15-14, 02:53 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Can the starter be dead??? No clicks.. .. .. .. no sounds when you turn the key?? Explain the symptons more detailed when you turn the key bro..
Old 01-15-14, 05:32 PM
SureShot
Rookie

have someone tap the starter with a hammer while you turn the key.
Old 01-16-14, 10:39 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Yes if the starter is completely dead, the car won't crank the ignition at all. But the lights would still be able to turn on basely off the alternator and battery still working. Try seeing if it's the starter bro. That sounds like what it is. And if you do bang it with a hammer, do it lighty, not too hard. Good luck kid!!!!! Stay positive!!!!
Old 01-16-14, 11:16 AM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Lexus GS300 owners experiencing throttle problems where there seems to be no throttle response unless the pedal is floored may need to replace their car's throttle position sensor (TPS), which is located on the front side of the throttle body. When the check engine light comes on and reading the diagnostic codes shows a p1120 or p1121 error code, this indicates an accelerator malfunction problem that could relate to a few different things, including the TPS, although the problem could also be with the idle valve motor.
Old 01-17-14, 06:45 PM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Can the starter be dead??? No clicks.. .. .. .. no sounds when you turn the key?? Explain the symptons more detailed when you turn the key bro..
I highly doubt it, as "silverbul" said Im having throttle problems and I replaced the tcm and removed the tps and was wondering it that could be the culprit. Then again maybe I ALSO need a starter
Originally Posted by SureShot
have someone tap the starter with a hammer while you turn the key.
will do man, htanks.
Originally Posted by aneidiaz
Yes if the starter is completely dead, the car won't crank the ignition at all. But the lights would still be able to turn on basely off the alternator and battery still working. Try seeing if it's the starter bro. That sounds like what it is. And if you do bang it with a hammer, do it lighty, not too hard. Good luck kid!!!!! Stay positive!!!!
Thanks man, I'll do that in a bit. appreciate the moral boost lol
Originally Posted by silverbul
Lexus GS300 owners experiencing throttle problems where there seems to be no throttle response unless the pedal is floored may need to replace their car's throttle position sensor (TPS), which is located on the front side of the throttle body. When the check engine light comes on and reading the diagnostic codes shows a p1120 or p1121 error code, this indicates an accelerator malfunction problem that could relate to a few different things, including the TPS, although the problem could also be with the idle valve motor.
I have yet to replace this the idle valve motor has been replaced car went into limp mode after hitting 3k rpms+ , I did have both those codes and after replacing the throttle control motor (tcm) I only have p1121 code.
Old 01-19-14, 09:59 PM
1jaydavey
Driver School Candidate

id say starter for sure as everyone else has said. use a test light to see if theres power going to the starter. if you dont hear it clicking at all. try tapping it with a smaller jack handle or hald inch drive wrench as some trys cranking. check engine related fuses too sometimes they can sneak up on ya
Old 01-20-14, 10:34 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Did you unplug the battery for a bit to reset the ECU? Or maybe You might have installed the TPS wrong. You have to line up the ears on the TPS and the throttle body.
Old 01-20-14, 11:16 AM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexo98
Did you unplug the battery for a bit to reset the ECU? Or maybe You might have installed the TPS wrong. You have to line up the ears on the TPS and the throttle body.
I believe I did, If I didn't would it not turn on?
Old 01-20-14, 12:40 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have dash lights? Have you set the tps yet? Checked fuses?
Old 01-21-14, 08:13 AM
4doorscore
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marshun
Do you have dash lights? Have you set the tps yet? Checked fuses?
I need my tps adjusted still, can this be a reason why the car won't turn on??
Old 01-21-14, 10:42 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

I hope your troubles are resolved bro. Real talk. I know how it feels. Just stay positive and optimistic. Everything will work out. Go over everything you've done and read around a bit more. You'll hit the bullseye eventually. I'm sure of it man!
Old 01-21-14, 01:00 PM
DWitis
Driver School Candidate

Agree with the others, check the starter. Mine was not cranking a few months back, but dash lights were on. Thought it was the fuel pump but it was the starter that was dead. Good luck and hope you resolve your issue!

Quick Reply: 1998 gs300 (not turning on) :((( HELP!