GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First car, first accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 08:05 AM
BIGMerle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You also don't need to switch to springs and shocks. You have coilovers and you can raise the ride height if that's what you want.
Old 01-12-14, 09:58 AM
mikobangz
Rookie

Originally Posted by SureShot
in MD, usually insurance companies total cars when the damage gets near 75% of the blue book. i think you are ok. if not, i think the person you bought that from has already told you about my SD being for sale.
Yeah he told me, I just saw the pics online, that interior is in pristine condition! If my baby ends up being totaled I will look further into yours.

Originally Posted by BIGMerle
You also don't need to switch to springs and shocks. You have coilovers and you can raise the ride height if that's what you want.
Just sent a text.
Old 01-12-14, 10:06 AM
Acer
Lead Lap

let us know the outcome.
Old 01-12-14, 10:19 AM
mikobangz
Rookie

Originally Posted by acer9103
let us know the outcome.
I definitely will.
Old 01-12-14, 02:52 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Hurts just to see a GS like that, luckily it doesn't look terrible, you could find a hood on eBay or a junkyard, I know ou can get new bumpers painted from sewell for like 500 or something
Old 01-13-14, 07:21 AM
mikobangz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
Hurts just to see a GS like that, luckily it doesn't look terrible, you could find a hood on eBay or a junkyard, I know ou can get new bumpers painted from sewell for like 500 or something
I know man, when I went to see her today I saw a silver 98-00 GS3 and thought I gotta have my car back.

So everyone I went to go see her today, the adjuster is supposed to come look at her tomorrow. I took some pics, from the pictures I think I'm fine, two headlights, hood, bumper, radiator and radiator support. It was a few inches from the timing belt and I'm so happy it didn't touch it. The car started fine, it's still in driving condition aside from the damage to the radiator. Here are some pics though.

I even put the visor up because I didn't want the sun touching the seats.
Attached Thumbnails First car, first accident-picture-1.jpg   First car, first accident-picture-2.jpg   First car, first accident-picture-3.jpg   First car, first accident-picture-4.jpg   First car, first accident-picture-5.jpg  

Old 01-13-14, 10:14 AM
SureShot
Rookie

the headlights are whats gonna kill you. replacing the sport design headlights will be $$.
Old 01-13-14, 05:26 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey if they replace your headlights with new ones tell them you want the old headlights back, that you want to keep them. They will give them to you for free (you own the car they are your parts)

I know they are damaged, but i'll buy them from you. Want to practice for a retro fit.
Old 01-13-14, 05:56 PM
mikobangz
Rookie

the headlights are whats gonna kill you. replacing the sport design headlights will be $$.
I was told that earlier and searched the price of them. Used they're north of $500.

Originally Posted by SprtDesign
Hey if they replace your headlights with new ones tell them you want the old headlights back, that you want to keep them. They will give them to you for free (you own the car they are your parts)

I know they are damaged, but i'll buy them from you. Want to practice for a retro fit.
Ok I'll let you know the results tomorrow.
Old 01-13-14, 07:34 PM
mk2tmr2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The book value on the car is probably $6 or $7k. To total the car, repairs need to total more than 50%.

Unfortunately, That looks like more than $3k of work at a typical shop. It might be close.
Old 01-13-14, 11:46 PM
Sykotic336
Driver

that sucks man at least you being ok and not hurt is whats more important... as for the guy that you hit karma will come his way no doubt people now days are messed up. Hopefully everything turns out good in your favor
Old 01-14-14, 04:27 AM
SureShot
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikobangz
I was told that earlier and searched the price of them. Used they're north of $500.
and thats when you can find them. another sucky thing is that buying just the one you need won't match the other one. you'll want to get a complete set and replace them both while the bumper is off.
Old 01-14-14, 04:38 AM
BIGMerle
Pole Position

She looks so lonely! Don't leave the parts on her!!!
Old 01-14-14, 05:14 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mikobangz
Hey everyone,

Today I was involved in my first accident. While driving to the gym I was in the right lane of a three lane road and a guy from the far left lane jumped in front of me and slammed on brakes in order to make the right turn and I slammed on my brakes as well but unfortunately I hit him. He kept going up far enough so I couldn't read his tags then he got out, looked at his bumper, and drove away. Some say I should have chased him but it's already done now. The car is currently at a collision center and I have a rental car. There was a witness who saw the event who I gave her information to Geico, I have no accidents on my record, I'm 20, first car, first accident.

Do you guys think they'll total her or say it was my fault?
So you saw him do all of that, but you were not able to get close enough to get his tag info? He had to be the Flash for him to get out of his car and look at his bumper, THEN get back in his car and you still were not able to get any info? Hope things work out for you and they don't total. That interior is looking sexy

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 01-14-14 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 07:09 AM
mikobangz
Rookie

Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
The book value on the car is probably $6 or $7k. To total the car, repairs need to total more than 50%.

Unfortunately, That looks like more than $3k of work at a typical shop. It might be close.
The man said it's about $4.6k to repair and it's not totaled.

Originally Posted by Sykotic336
that sucks man at least you being ok and not hurt is whats more important... as for the guy that you hit karma will come his way no doubt people now days are messed up. Hopefully everything turns out good in your favor
What goes around comes around, your definitely right about that. The adjuster said she won't be loss!

and thats when you can find them. another sucky thing is that buying just the one you need won't match the other one. you'll want to get a complete set and replace them both while the bumper is off.
They're replacing both of them with SD headlights.

Originally Posted by BIGMerle
She looks so lonely! Don't leave the parts on her!!!
She will be parted out.. In one piece.. Back to Victor's care!

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
So you saw him do all of that, but you were not able to get close enough to get his tag info? He had to be the Flash for him to get out of his car and look at his bumper, THEN get back in his car and you still were not able to get any info? Hope things work out for you and they don't total. That interior is looking sexy
I have 22/20 vision, when the incident happened I immediately stopped and got out of my car, at this time he was still moving up. He turned right into a shopping center entrance about 5 car lengths down and stopped so his car was sideways. I thought he was about to come to me or I go to him but when I was facing my car looking at the hood, I turned around he was pulling off around the corner so I wasn't able to see his tag number. For future references I will immediately get the tag number before getting out of my car or allowing them to drive up, if I knew what I know now when it happened I would have been more than able to get it. It just wasn't the first thing on my mind because I wouldn't have expected someone to do that.

She's not totaled though! So new hood, bumper, and fresh SD headlights are coming this way!

Quick Reply: First car, first accident