GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stiff Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 08:55 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielDD
Please keep us informed as I have the same condition. I also replaced the steering ecu, not with a new one, but with a used one and it did seem to make some difference. I don't know if its me or not, but when I parked my GS400 outside overnight a few days ago and it got into the 30's temperature wise, it appeared the steering was better when it was cold. I don't have enough data at this point to say whether this is indeed a fact or not.

I have ordered new Moog ball joints, one because my car is due for them and two, I'm hoping they make a difference in the steering effort. The Moog ball joints have a zerk fitting. I should be able to report back on this sometime soon.
ball joints will not help in steering. the point of the ball joint is to keep your steering in tact (wheel)
Old 12-12-13, 05:26 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanielDD
Please keep us informed as I have the same condition. I also replaced the steering ecu, not with a new one, but with a used one and it did seem to make some difference. I don't know if its me or not, but when I parked my GS400 outside overnight a few days ago and it got into the 30's temperature wise, it appeared the steering was better when it was cold. I don't have enough data at this point to say whether this is indeed a fact or not.

I have ordered new Moog ball joints, one because my car is due for them and two, I'm hoping they make a difference in the steering effort. The Moog ball joints have a zerk fitting. I should be able to report back on this sometime soon.
Just a friendly reminder make sure you grease those bad boys before you drive the car but yea keep us updated also search around the club for the best power steering fuild/atf i no its one out there that doesn't get as hot as others do im looking for it now.
Old 12-12-13, 05:41 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
I can't say you will get one finger ease, at least my GS isn't anywhere close to it, my Buick is.

Maybe an LS steering ECU would be better for that sort of steering assist.
Every one says its me i really wish u close after the new years im replacing the hole suspension with oem parts of course i love these car to death just because of the reliability factory i could of bought a German but we already no how would that of played out.putting money into a Lexus is well worth it my cousin is on his 3rd tranny in his 04 Rover.
Old 12-13-13, 07:07 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
ball joints will not help in steering. the point of the ball joint is to keep your steering in tact (wheel)
Not sure if I agree entirely with your post...I had a 98 GS300 with 174k miles that had similar symptoms to this one with a stiff steering wheel and it turned out that my lower ball joints were on their 'last breath'; replaced them together with outer tie rods, got an alignment, and all was dandy!

OP doesn't mention how old the lower ball joints are or whether they've been checked other than trying to grease them. $80 on parts and $80 alignment on something that could have to be done either way sooner or later might be a good start.
Old 12-13-13, 11:20 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wise2k
Not sure if I agree entirely with your post...I had a 98 GS300 with 174k miles that had similar symptoms to this one with a stiff steering wheel and it turned out that my lower ball joints were on their 'last breath'; replaced them together with outer tie rods, got an alignment, and all was dandy!

OP doesn't mention how old the lower ball joints are or whether they've been checked other than trying to grease them. $80 on parts and $80 alignment on something that could have to be done either way sooner or later might be a good start.
yea but if i my ball joints were bad would i have some type of play
Old 12-20-13, 06:24 AM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Not much to add here, except maybe an additional data point. Just this week, I changed out my lower ball joints with new Moog parts. My steering has always been stiff since I got it a couple of months ago. The car has 80K on the clock. Sorry to say that the new ball joints did not make any noticeable difference in the steering effort. It may be time to take it to the dealer and have them perform a pressure test on the steering system.