GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cheaper Alternative to New Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-03, 09:44 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheaper Alternative to New Headlights

I just put on my Xpel Headlight protection today, took me about an hour to do, it is really easy. I had alot of pits in my headlights before and the glass looked kinda dull. After I put on the Xpel, most of the pits can't even be seen anymore and light looks almost like new. RMMGS4 can tell you this too, I remember seeing his car at the Carson Meet and was amazed then on how much difference the Xpel made. The kit is only like 60 dollars on xpel.com. For 60 dollars you get almost new looking headlights, and never have to worry about another pit again. I'd say thats worth it.
Old 01-25-03, 09:49 PM
luvzdogz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xpel

It is worth it. I also own a BMW Z3. This is a car that is NOTORIOUS (yes I'm yelling here) for getting dinged and pitted on the front and sides because of it's shape. I will definitely have to get my GS300 expelled. - Thanks for reminding me.
Old 01-25-03, 10:52 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

I've got the 3M clear bumper protectant on my car. It's quite good! I only have it on my rear bumper now, but plan to have it installed on the front bumper, door edges, and behind the side view mirrors. That's how I have it on my brother's IS300.. It's a little pricey, but well worth it!
Ed
Old 01-25-03, 11:44 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Cheaper Alternative to New Headlights

Originally posted by mcgong
I just put on my Xpel Headlight protection today, took me about an hour to do, it is really easy. I had alot of pits in my headlights before and the glass looked kinda dull. After I put on the Xpel, most of the pits can't even be seen anymore and light looks almost like new. RMMGS4 can tell you this too, I remember seeing his car at the Carson Meet and was amazed then on how much difference the Xpel made. The kit is only like 60 dollars on xpel.com. For 60 dollars you get almost new looking headlights, and never have to worry about another pit again. I'd say thats worth it.
mcgong,
glad you saw the light (pun intended).

Both Rominl and myself were the 1st ones to have it during last summers NorCal meet. I believe around six other locals bought the light kit soon after seeing the difference.

At the meet, with all the GS cars parked next to each other, you could notice more brilliance and sparkle reflecting from our headlights compared to the cars next to us. This is especially noticable in bright sunlight. I'm guessing that the additional thickness added to the lenses is having kind of a magnifying effect.

Like you said, most pits just disappear and the great part is they will never pit again. The most dramatic difference to me was on my pitted fogs. Almost all GS's with over 30k miles on them will have sandblasted fog lenses. The Xpel took away around 95% of the pits.

One thing I'm surprised is how you felt this install job was EZ. I watched it being installed on my car and at one point it looked like the wrinkles wouldn't come out. For people who would consider installing Xpel themselves, I would recommend that they would need a skill level around the same as that to apply window tint on to curved glass like a Camaro rear hatch window, not on flat glass, like on a 1968 Beetle or Datsun 510, etc.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-25-03 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-26-03, 12:13 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like everyone has nothing but great things to say... I guess after I replace my headlights I'll get Xpel to protect them..
Old 01-26-03, 07:23 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Just check the web site out and I am going to do the whole thing. Bumper, fender, hood, mirrors, foglights, and headlights. Do you think I should wax the ride before applying the protection?
Old 01-26-03, 08:48 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hey Mcgong, do you have any before and after pics? My headlights look like *****. . Mine is turning greyish on the inside.
Old 01-26-03, 11:54 AM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

Originally posted by APLUS
Just check the web site out and I am going to do the whole thing. Bumper, fender, hood, mirrors, foglights, and headlights. Do you think I should wax the ride before applying the protection?
No, because they spray a few different solutions on the paint, which sort of strips the waxes off, for better adhering of the material on the paint.
Ed
Old 01-26-03, 01:31 PM
Lexus4me
Driver

after you have Xpel on, is it harder or easier to clean your car?
Old 01-26-03, 01:50 PM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by Lexus4me
after you have Xpel on, is it harder or easier to clean your car?
Bug splat and other road grime is just as easy if not easier to clean off than on paint. Actually, you would always have to have a fresh coat of wax on the car to be as easy to clean as Xpel.

Just thought about it, some people do not care for the looks of Xpel body protection on darker colored cars. The gloss and smoothness is not the same as the paint and it is most noticeable on black.

Mcgong and myself are highly recommending the headlight protection, but since people are now discussing the Xpel body protection, they should make their own judgement on whether they think it looks acceptable. I do have all the Xpel body protection including a custom cut piece for my air dam . It does look fine to me, but then again I have a silver car.

As far as headlight protection is concerned, there is no issue with clarity or smoothness.
Old 01-26-03, 04:16 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

I have an appointment this Wed to get the rest of the kit installed. Glen, does the bumper have to be chip free. I have a couple of rock chips that I am going to see if I can fill in and buff out before I bring it in. I heard the xpel will cover up some blemishes much like the headlamp covers.

For the headlights, Xpel has some installation instructions for a GS on their site and you can send away for a video. One of the main things to putting on the headlight protection kit is to use a blow dryer or heat gun to warm up the film. This will allow the material to bend easier around the headlamps. As Glen said, the head lamps look alot more sparkly than before. I just keep asking myself why I waited so long to do this.
Old 01-26-03, 07:12 PM
RMMGS4

I have an appointment this Wed to get the rest of the kit installed. Glen, does the bumper have to be chip free. I Have a couple of rock chips that I am going to see if I can fill in and buff out before I bring it in. I heard the xpel will cover up some blemishes much like the headlamp covers.
Mike,
it sure doesnt hurt to fill in the chips. Atleast put a dab of paint into the chips and the Xpel should help hide it. Probably 90% of my chips disappeared after touching up and adding Xpel. I would not fill the chips higher than the original surface though as the Xpel might form a bubble over those spots. If you are good with wet sanding, smooth it down with 1000 -2000 grit paper using a lot of water. The Langka stuff is also supposed to do a good job in leveling the paint after performing touch up. Probably a lot easier and safer than wet sanding.

Good Luck.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-26-03 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-27-03, 03:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I have an appointment this Wed to get the rest of the kit installed. Glen, does the bumper have to be chip free. I have a couple of rock chips that I am going to see if I can fill in and buff out before I bring it in. I heard the xpel will cover up some blemishes much like the headlamp covers.

For the headlights, Xpel has some installation instructions for a GS on their site and you can send away for a video. One of the main things to putting on the headlight protection kit is to use a blow dryer or heat gun to warm up the film. This will allow the material to bend easier around the headlamps. As Glen said, the head lamps look alot more sparkly than before. I just keep asking myself why I waited so long to do this.
actually GS is one of the hardest car to install the xpel kit for headlight, coz' our headlights are so circle.... it's not easy at all. i also did it on my acura and comparing to my gs4, that was a joke.

and yes, the result is really good. i can tell you up front, no matter what car i get next time, the second day i got my car would be the time i put on my xpel. it only only protects them from rocks, it keeps it shine

no problem in cleaning the car. sometimes you might find some wax residue along the side when you apply too much wax but that's all

applying the xpel to bumper is another story though mike. i would try to make them smooth first. think about this. with the headlight, every time there is a chip, it's also to the INSIDE of the headlight. when you use the solution and the THICK plastic it will make it smooth

however with the bumper it's different. when there is a chip, the center is always in, but surroundings are most likely out. it's just like when an astroit hit the earth.... it creates something like a volcano, center is in, but surrounding is outward. and the plastic you use would be a lot THINNER, so i don't know how well it will cover it up
Old 01-27-03, 05:42 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

A you guys know that on there web site they used our car as an example. here.
http://xpel.com/pics.html
Click on the thumb nails to receive step by step instructions. Looks like the headlights might not be a bad DIY. Weekend morning two hours tops.
Old 01-27-03, 01:59 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Cheaper Alternative to New Headlights

I have the entire kit for my 350Z: covers @ 2 ft. of the hood, front bumper, headlights, and rearview mirrors! I used Avery Denisson instead of 3M. I had it installed (I did the headlamls myself) 1 week after I got my Z (September) and all I can say is.....Do yourself a Big favor and get this stuff.

Quick Reply: Cheaper Alternative to New Headlights