GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My new (used) 98 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 12:06 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fixed this issue. Guess I had a few ppl confused, even my mechanic said that was weird. You change out all these parts and the misfire goes from 4 to 3 All he could tell me (he didn't see the car talking to him on the phone) is to check and make sure no water is left in spark plug hole #3.

My lazy @*** wanted to call a tow truck and tow this car to my mechanic after being so frustrated and can't figure out all this misfiring issues, but I said to myself "Self you do not have the money right now, you are broke". I said to hell with it I'm opening this thing up and seeing what's the problem I cant make it worse (**disclaimer** you can make things worst if your rushing and frustrated LOL) so I started taking things apart slowly. OK you guys know that whole process and look what I find...vvvv
Attached Thumbnails My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00454.jpg   My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00455.jpg  
Old 12-13-13, 12:10 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Apparently re-installing the throttle body, it pinched the #3 wire which was causing the misfire on cylinder 3.

I put back on the old wire(it was still in good shape just needed cleaning) and now car is running smooth and no more CEL

Moral of the story is be careful when re-installing throttle body and listen to your wife when she says not to work on your car at night

Last edited by shboni; 12-13-13 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 10:02 AM
shboni
Pole Position

Default Shboni's pre 150K roll over maintenance

So with all the helping D.I.Y's in this section I have been able to do a lot of the maintenance myself and save a lot of money. I bought this GS pretty much with out records/maintenance history, I did look up on mylexus.com and saw records up until 2007. The guy said he is a mechanic and seemed pretty cool, but at the same time sellers are never going to tell you 100% of everything wrong with the car.

So all the maintenance is for my peace of mind. So here is what has been done:

Frist thing Oil Change

Using this D.I.Y (you all know what an Oil Change looks like) http://bananags.grantham-internation...oil/index.html

Syn. Pennzoil 10w30
Fram Oil Filter
Lucas Oil stabilizer

As you can see the old oil came out pretty dark, too dark for some one who is a mechanic and just (so-called) did a tune-up but any ways we are going to keep going.
Attached Thumbnails My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00477.jpg   My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00469.jpg   My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00471.jpg  
Old 01-15-14, 10:16 AM
shboni
Pole Position

Default Shboni's pre 150K rollover maintenance

Next Transmission Drain and Refill:

D.I.Y used: http://bananags.grantham-internation...il/index1.html

Parts: 2 Qts of Toyota type T-IV ATF
Toyota AT crush washers

As I thought the ATF came out really dark (like a dark brown-ish red) so that has not been changed in a while. I put the old crush washer next to the new one

Going to be changing the ATF along with the Oil changes for the next maybe six oil changes so I can get all the old fluid out and get it to a nice red color
Attached Thumbnails My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00470.jpg   My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00473.jpg   My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00475.jpg   My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00476.jpg  
Old 01-15-14, 10:25 AM
shboni
Pole Position

Default Shboni's pre 150K rollover Maintenance

Next Differential drain and refill

D.I.Y. used: http://bananags.grantham-internation...iff/index.html

Parts : Gear Oil 75w90

Tools: Oil Transfer Hose
(Didn't have 10mm long hex key) Better option: 10mm Hex Socket with a 3/8 breaker bar

No pics of this but the gear oil came out dark and stank. Cleaned off metal bits off bolt, refill and done.
Old 01-15-14, 10:37 AM
shboni
Pole Position

Default Shboni's pre 150K rollover maintenance

Four: Power steering fluid change

D.I.Y used: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...id-change.html

Parts: Dexron Type IV ATF

Tools: Mixmizer (Wal-Mart $3 bucks)

Did about 4-5 pulls of fluid, refilled it and went for a drive. Going to be doing this along with the next six oil changes.

Power-steering fluid was dark brown, so my guess is they where not using ATF
Attached Thumbnails My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00485.jpg   My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00488.jpg   My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00486.jpg   My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00489.jpg   My new (used) 98 GS300-cam00490.jpg  

Old 01-15-14, 02:04 PM
SADDLE
Lexus Test Driver

Nice work. Great progress. Keep it up!

Car looks sharp. Love that green.
Old 01-15-14, 02:36 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Dam bro... Check for anything worth noting down. DO NOT PANIC. Think Positive first and foremsot... I have a 430 but from I'm seeing could be old maintenance issues gone bad after never resolving.. Maybe the previous owner had put too much oil in engine at some point and that might've led to oil going into spark plugs. Maybe he never noticed and kept driving it that way. That might explain the residue and corrosion like symptons on the spark plugs. I'm not too good with diagnosing but here's a few thoughts.

-New Spark Plugs
-New Spark Plug Wires
-A Good Cleansing Of The Throttle Body
-New Valve Cover Gaskets (preferrably OEM)

Also, a question, does the car let out more then normal amount of smoke upon driving? Just curious. Also thought I'd share, a buddy of mine with a GS300 had a misfire similar to yours, sympton wise. Ended up being a mass air flow sensor. But no residue on spark plugs tho .. Listen I hope your problem gets fixed asap! Don't let it get to your head bro. The car LOOKS IN GREAT CONDITION!!! Love the color and the interior looks immaculate..

Just look at it THIS way... WHATEVER the car has, it can be FIXED thru a little stress and determination... on the brighter side, you'll have you a GORGEOUS GREEN GS to last you for a long, long time my brother!!!! Motivation!!
Old 01-15-14, 02:40 PM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

I feel stupid as I did not read the last few posts... I'm glad it's running smooth bro!!!!! Thank God! What a relieving feeling. Car is looking good bro!!
Old 01-15-14, 07:31 PM
shboni
Pole Position

@ Saddle and Aneidiaz: Thanks this car is actually easier to work on than my SC and as of this moment more enjoyable to drive
Old 01-15-14, 08:06 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Default Shboni's pre 150K roll-over maintenance

Other things that have been done:

Brake Rotors (front and rear)
Brake Pads (front and rear)
New wheel spacers up front (Wheels were scraping the brake calipers )
Replaced blown brake lights blubs which made the brake light blown indicator finally go out
Spark plugs
Spark plug wire
Coil pack #4
Coil pack Connectors
Throttle Body Gasket

Stuff on the To-Do-List

Castor Arm Bushings (Just ordered some TRD ones from RHDJAPAN.com......FAIL!!! as of 01/17/2014 DISCONTINUED )
Lower Ball joints (have them in a box waiting for Castor Arm Bushings, so those two are done at the same time)
Alignment
Steering Rack bushings
Sway bar bushing
Hood Lift Supports (Tired of using sticks, looks so, well not Lexus)
Replace White Handles (Man are they an eye sore or what )
Rear Passenger Door Lock Actuator
Servo Motors
Motor and Trans Mount
Lowering Springs
New Struts
Valve Cover Gaskets

That's all I can think of right now, any more and I'm just gonna lose my mind

Last edited by shboni; 01-17-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-15-14, 09:14 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Crazy what a difference a little headlight cleaning and a new grille can do lol
Old 01-16-14, 09:47 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Hey if you haven't done so by now, make an account on www.sewellparts.com bro! Sign up with you CL account and it will give you CRAZY discounts!! It's helped me out allot bro really. Thought I'd share that with you. All OEM Lexus parts on there. Everything you may need for your whole car.
Old 01-17-14, 06:57 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Default Maintenance on a stand still

For anyone trying to order TRD bushing (#2 Castor bushing) from RHDjapan.com DON'T.

There are discontinued, so now they want me to pick an item of equal value. WTH!!!! I don't need some thing else I need the Castor #2 bushings

So now they have my $88 bucks and I'm not getting any bushings. Good thing I bought thru
pay-pal, going to be making a claim tomorrow. Knew I should have ordered ROCAs
Old 01-17-14, 07:14 PM
shboni
Pole Position

Here is my thought process, to save me unnecessary headaches stuff on my maintenance list is either going to be ordered from Swell or Rockauto.

Things marked with * will be ordered from Swell
Things marked with ** will be ordered from Rockauto

Castor Arms #2 *
Lower Ball joints (Check)
Alignment (might go to TIRES PLUS)
Steering Rack bushings *
Sway bar bushing (prothane.com)
Hood Lift Supports **
Replace White Handles *
Rear Passenger Door Lock Actuator *
Servo Motors *
Motor and Trans Mount *