GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dome Light/Key hole light/Foot well lights out

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 09:49 AM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
sounds like you burnt out the door ecu..... i did this when i did the LED turn signal DIY i made. if you have a local member near you see if they will let you borrow theirs and check it to see if thats it. a friend of mine ended up resoldering the connection for me and fixed mine but im fairly certain this is what you did BUT where you really doing something else cause installing a LED shouldnt cause this to spark, if you put it in backwards it wont have the correct polarity to come on and if you put it in correctly there is no reason it should spark unless you have a short in the wiring (maybe look back and see if any of the wiring is exposed)

BTW im 99% sure i posted the wiring diagrams for all this in that DIY
Thanks for the diagrams, it don't I need the interior light circuits? This is the one that rg gave me. I hope that it is the ground. I did check again and the car has an aftermarket alarm, and it looks like they spliced into the drivers foot light to access a ground wire.

Dome Light/Key hole light/Foot well lights out-forumrunner_20131121_114645.png
Old 11-21-13, 09:53 AM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

Originally Posted by YxUxMADDDD
so you checked both sides of the fuse boxes located in the front kick panels (driver and passenger) as well as under the hood? normally when that "spark" happens, you pretty much popped a fuse. although you said you checked EVERY single fuse and everything is normal, i don't see how it sparked unless the previous owner "ghetto rigged" some wires to make a radio work and wires are exposed somewhere that caused a short. or maybe it's the bulb that blew... did you replace it with another bulb to see if that bulb turns on?
Yea its ghetto rigged, with an alarm system. That's the only wiring that I saw. I have tried other bulbs. I think the weirdest thing to me is that the dome light come on whem switched from off to on, but it won't come on when the door is opened. I am convinced that the foot lights, key light and a part of the dome light are on the same circuit. Am I right? Or even close?
Old 11-21-13, 11:09 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DNAARISTO
I am convinced that the foot lights, key light and a part of the dome light are on the same circuit. Am I right? Or even close?
its like people completely ignore me when i talk.....last time i try then. CHECK the door ecu on whatever side you installed the LED on, i did this exact thing with the same symptoms when i fried my door ecu

Last edited by sakataj; 11-21-13 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-21-13, 11:52 AM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

its like people completely ignore me when i talk.....last time i try then. CHECK the door ecu on whatever side you installed the LED on, i did this exact thing with the same symptoms when i fried my door ecu
No, no I hear you loud and clear. When checking the ecu, What exactly should I look for? Sorry if I made you mad. I'm still learning this car.
Old 11-24-13, 12:38 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the exact same boat...

Installed LEDs in footwell
No foot light / No ignition light / No dome light (spot light works though)
No sparks noticed.
Checked every fuse (but haven't checked relays...)

As much as we all loooooooooove to ignore sakataj , I never thought about looking into the door ECU.

From that tiny wire diagram (thought helpful, since manuals from the sticky are no longer available...), the door ECU looks like a common point where all 4 lights (right + left foot light, dome, and ignition) are wired...but I can't make out the letters and symbols... Can someone post a bigger version of this diagram?

Hopefully it'll be an easy fix as re-soldering...
Old 11-24-13, 03:42 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The body ecu is what triggers on/off those lights and not the door ECU. Post pics of the inside of those door ECU's
Old 11-25-13, 10:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
As much as we all loooooooooove to ignore sakataj , I never thought about looking into the door ECU.
isnt that the truth

Hopefully it'll be an easy fix as re-soldering...
mine was that simple, open the door ecu and look over it

Originally Posted by rgarjr
The body ecu is what triggers on/off those lights and not the door ECU. Post pics of the inside of those door ECU's
the door ecu (located behind the door panel) is what fried when mine sparked when i was doing the sideview mirror DIY. i had all the same symptons as them, removed door ecu, swapped in a friends and bingo everything worked like normal. Opened mine up to notice a burnt trail, my buddy chris resoldered her and i put it back and everything worked like normal.

the body ecu is in the C panel right? if so then thats DEF not the ecu i fried
Old 11-25-13, 09:17 PM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

So I am still diagnosing. It is Definately a ground issue.
Here what I have done so far

I went to get a test light and aligator clips. I connected the aligator clip to a known ground source (a bolt on the door hinge) and the other end to the spliced green wire. Attached to the driver side foot light. As so as I connected the clip, everything lit up like a Christmas Tree. I will take out the door ecu tomorrow and try and locate a grouse issue. Here are some pics of the way that I have it connected for the test
Attached Thumbnails Dome Light/Key hole light/Foot well lights out-forumrunner_20131125_231619.png   Dome Light/Key hole light/Foot well lights out-forumrunner_20131125_231637.png   Dome Light/Key hole light/Foot well lights out-forumrunner_20131125_231721.png  
Old 11-25-13, 10:43 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's definitely not your fuse then. The Body ECU is just not outputting ground to light them up. Make sure you snap some pics of the inside of that door ECU.
Old 11-25-13, 11:21 PM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

Originally Posted by rgarjr
Well it's definitely not your fuse then. The Body ECU is just not outputting ground to light them up. Make sure you snap some pics of the inside of that door ECU.
Will do. First thing tomorrow morning. I'll be working on it for a couple of hours.
Old 11-26-13, 10:07 AM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

So I took the drivers door panel off and got the drivers Door Ecu out. I snapped a couple of pics. I scanned the circuit board for any burned or abnormal spots and I did not notice any. I also check connections at IJ2 which is to the left of the blower motor, behind the glove box, and still no ground. I think it is time to try and get to the body ecu NO.2 now.

89222-30020 is the part number for the Driver door ecu BTW for future reference.
Attached Thumbnails Dome Light/Key hole light/Foot well lights out-forumrunner_20131126_120532.png   Dome Light/Key hole light/Foot well lights out-forumrunner_20131126_120553.png   Dome Light/Key hole light/Foot well lights out-forumrunner_20131126_120609.png   Dome Light/Key hole light/Foot well lights out-forumrunner_20131126_120625.png  
Old 12-01-13, 11:22 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

took my door ECU today too but couldn't find anything that looks odd on the PCB for driver and passenger side... diagnosing electronics is so frustrating (probably b/c I suck at it ).

Old 12-02-13, 12:41 AM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

took my door ECU today too but couldn't find anything that looks odd on the PCB for driver and passenger side... diagnosing electronics is so frustrating (probably b/c I suck at it ).
Yea it does suck. I found a wiring diagram and started to diagnose my ground problem. I have not been able to test the Body Ecu No.2 Green #13 ground wire yet, because I can not figure out, how to remove that ecu. I think that it is the body ecu itself. I'm thinking about, just wiring up the light circuit to a separate switch and just turn the foot lights on while I drive at night. At least for a temporary fix.
Old 12-02-13, 06:51 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DNAARISTO
So I took the drivers door panel off and got the drivers Door Ecu out. I snapped a couple of pics. I scanned the circuit board for any burned or abnormal spots and I did not notice any. I also check connections at IJ2 which is to the left of the blower motor, behind the glove box, and still no ground. I think it is time to try and get to the body ecu NO.2 now.

89222-30020 is the part number for the Driver door ecu BTW for future reference.

hmmm, odd, mine itself was a clearly burned copper line on the board..... so do either of you have a local member you can swap with (temporarily) to see if their door ecu fixes it?

Last edited by sakataj; 12-02-13 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 11:05 AM
DNAARISTO
Rookie

hmmm, odd, mine itself was a clearly burned copper line on the board..... so does either of you have a local board you can swap with a member (temporarily) to see if their door ecu fixes it?
I do not, I made a thread in the North Texas section, but haven't had any responses.