GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2002 lexus gs430 check engine light help!

Old 10-22-13, 09:13 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by captncook
It was garage kept and maintained but I feel that I have gotten the short end of the stick with having to deal with repairs.

I'd appreciate some feedback considering I keep dumping money into this car and the main problems are not being resolved.
This is what you asked forum members to provide so now you're hearing from people who own the same car. Nobody's slamming your decision to buy it, you've run into some buyer's remorse because you trusted the previous owner and your mechanic with a big decision.

My previous owner did the same exact thing selling it to me. Garage kept, second car etc. etc.
Old 10-22-13, 09:51 PM
MasterKwan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well let's get something clear first off, a car is what you make of it. As I stated earlier, I haven't owned a car for 3-4 years, neither am I fed from a silver spoon, so me purchasing this Lexus is a personal reward more than anything. Sure I could have gone the regular route of buying a garbage American or German car, but I searched for something that I know is reliable due that I take care of it, which is the Japanese route. Treat your car with love and it'll love you back, as simple as that. Obviously that's what I'm doing. As for the owner previous of me, he was very trustworthy and kept this vehicle in excellent condition, I'm just dealing with a minor short end. I wouldn't have bought a Lexus if I knew I couldn't maintain it.
I'm sort of shocked at how expensive some parts on these cars are. I wasn't aware of it till I started parting mine out and doing some research. There's a guy today who posted here and had a quote from the dealer for $3500 to replace the ABS System. Jesus I bought my GS for not much more than that. I have 2 IS300's and parts costs for them are more like Toyota parts prices than Lexus prices. Certainly the IS is a different class of vehicle. It started out as a toyota. IS300 parts prices are closer to Civic parts prices.

I don''t think it's unreasonable to buy a 10-12 year old car and be forced to spend 2K fixing it up. The downside of your experience is I think you have to pay someone to do the work and I can do it all myself. That means my $2K goes much further. The GS is a solid car and once you get this stuff straightened out, I can imagine you getting another 100K trouble-free miles.

, but what's more irritating is the check engine light coming back on along with a screeching sound coming from my wheels when I'm driving and turning the wheel around a corner or bend. On top of that, I keep smelling a small hint of rotten eggs (more than likely something dealing with the exhaust). I'd appreciate some feedback considering I keep dumping money into this car and the main problems are not being resolved. If anyone has knowledge of cars and is in the Central NJ area, can we please meet up to take a look at this ongoing issue?
Revisiting your original complaints, all of this sounds pretty minor. Wheel bearing maybe or e-brake shoes rubbing.
Old 10-22-13, 10:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Well it was supposed to be a 5 series fighter was it not MasterKwan?
Old 10-23-13, 06:13 AM
MasterKwan
Driver

Well it was supposed to be a 5 series fighter was it not MasterKwan?
I've owned a number of BMW's including a 740 and an M3. They were good driving, unreliable POS's but, parts prices weren't crazy high. The parts that are expensive on the GS seem to be one off new design stuff. Like the integrated ABS unit. Lexus seems to have walked away from this design in later years.

I'm back to Japanese because I got tired of dealing with Euro reliability issues. So far I've been very happy to be back.

If you were to buy an 02 M5, you'd be having even more problems now. I know a man with an M5 in that year range. He's spent $1000's a year maintaining it so, I still thing the GS is a better deal.
Old 10-23-13, 09:15 AM
captncook
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my brother owned a few BMWs a while ago but he dumped them bc too much of a hassle to deal with repairs, like you said mainly dealing with all the Euro stuff. I'm really content and satisfied with the GS430 I have, just have to do the regular maintenance that's required. I don't feel I got spammed or anything from previous owner, it's just the price of driving luxury. If it means anything, I owned a 2001 Nissan Sentra that was a complete hooptie and rust bucket prior to this 2002 Lexus GS430, so I'd say that's a major upgrade, also being that I had the Sentra back in high school and now I'm an adult
Old 10-23-13, 04:18 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yeah who would have thought that Toyota of all companies would price Lexus parts into the stratosphere. But I guess when you make such a reliable brand, you gotta get your customers' money somehow.

It might have to do with volume. Things that aren't replaced that often are only sold in low numbers. The Bimmer owners are always fixing the same things over and over again so their parts are being sold in large numbers, so that means lower prices.

That's my theory anyway.
Old 10-23-13, 05:37 PM
MasterKwan
Driver

Probably alot more BMW's out there than GS's too.
Old 10-23-13, 06:35 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I can definitely give the Germans credit for building pretty cars. Pretty and high maintenance.

As you say MasterKwan, they are not worth the trouble unless you have deep pockets and a lot of patience. If the GS's designers had styled a slightly prettier car, you would have seen these cars sell like crazy.
Old 03-02-14, 09:26 PM
captncook
Driver School Candidate

Hey all, I know it's been a while since I've posted on this thread with my original issue. But I believe I finally have it solved, it might just be the Coolant Temp Sensor. For a while I thought I wasted money replacing my timing belt, water pump, gasket, thermostat, and three sensors, but in reality it's just what had to be done to restore the car. I'm just a bit annoyed that I had to go through replacing three sensors and none of them were the Coolant Temp Sensor. I'll keep everyone updated once the last sensor is replaced,

In addition, I need to take out my blown Mark Levinson 10" subwoofer. I have an alpine amp and a kicker 12" subwoofer installed, but the bass is heavy and causes the broken Mark Levinson subwoofer to rattle like no other. Any suggestions on how to get this thing removed without spending an arm and a leg?
Old 03-03-14, 01:02 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe this is just my opinion... But i think our cars are look WAY better then any other 2001. The m5s looked horrible IMO and could pass as an 1994 when they came out in the early 2000,s. I think a well kept gs could pass as 2007.
Old 03-03-14, 01:16 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my car is attractive... Even befor i had rims on it i got compliments all the time when it was stock...

Upgrade the tails, detail the car and clear up the headlights and it will prolly help improve its value. I dont think its styling is what hurting the cars value.
Old 03-03-14, 02:30 AM
captncook
Driver School Candidate

I've received a lot of compliments on my GS so far with it just being all stock aside from the audio. A lot of people think it's an '05 at oldest and when I tell them it's an '02, their in shock. The previous owner just kept it in a garage for a long time and used it as a weekend car. I'm not big into modding or anything like that, to me personally, less is more. But I'm definitely going to get a proper detailing in the spring once this snow clears up in the north east.
Old 03-03-14, 07:48 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Originally Posted by captncook
I've received a lot of compliments on my GS so far with it just being all stock aside from the audio. A lot of people think it's an '05 at oldest and when I tell them it's an '02, their in shock. The previous owner just kept it in a garage for a long time and used it as a weekend car. I'm not big into modding or anything like that, to me personally, less is more. But I'm definitely going to get a proper detailing in the spring once this snow clears up in the north east.
The stock sub you talking about? I just took mine out, and stuck a box with a ten back there. You will have to make some kinda harness to tie into the existing sound system. The trunk is huge, so you wont loose any room lol. As far as you chk engine light.....I have the same problem on my 98. BTW check with your local vehicle inspection.....since my car is more than 12 years old, it does have to pass emissions anymore. Technically I could just pull the bulb out of the cluster lol....Back to the chk engine light...... mine is caused from a leaky exhaust system. I have a leak that I get welded every two years right on the o2 bung. The sensor picks up the leak and gives me the check engine. I am not paying $1200 for a new exhaust system. If I can find something in a boneyard, or aftermarket, I'll go that route.
Old 03-09-14, 12:59 AM
captncook
Driver School Candidate

Yeah for the stock sub I have is blown and I have a 12" set up already in a corner pocket of my trunk but the vibration and bass is so much that it rattles the stock broken sub. Think if I get the broken stock Mark Levinson sub removed, the sound and rattling will still be an issue if there's nothing inside that hole?

As for my check engine light, I'm going to replace the Coolant Temp Sensor fairly soon and see if that is the issue.. I wouldn't be surprised though if I have a leak in my exhaust system either because I smell faint fumes when driving or warming up my car when its idle. But if it happens to be just a leak, I'll def get it patched up opposed to spending $1,200 for a new exhaust.
Old 03-10-14, 08:27 AM
CharlieD93
Rookie

You can find aftermarket exhaust systems on Ebay for our cars, ranging from $350-$1200, all depends on how much you want to pay and if you want to get a "brand" name exhaust systems, you will be looking $600 or more, the Borla AXLE BACK is $650+ and that is just axle back. I got a no name brand for 379.99 on my GS300 and it is super loud with drone around 1800-2200 rpm's, I also do not have a middle resonator, so that could be why it is so loud. Probably the loudest exhaust in my area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 lexus gs430 check engine light help!