GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Slip indicator light keeps coming on

Old 10-12-13, 02:52 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Slip indicator light keeps coming on

If I accelerate reasonably quickly in a straight line or around a turn, the slip indicator light comes on, but the car is not slipping. Any idea what's causing this? Bad wheel speed sensors? It's a 99 with 215k miles.
Old 10-13-13, 09:50 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

You are not feeling it because the VSC is working.
Disable the VSC and I bet you will feel it, don't crash though.

...maybe you need better tires.
Old 10-13-13, 12:12 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrankT
Disable the VSC and I bet you will feel it, don't crash though.

...maybe you need better tires.
It's not slipping. I'm driving the car the same way I always do. I've have this car for 5+ years and last month was the 1st time the light has ever come on. My car's slow, I have 19x11's out back.
Old 10-14-13, 12:31 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrankT
Came on today while calmly driving down a straight road at 40mph and beeped at me for a minute or so until I slowed down to turn. Any advice on how to check the wheel speed sensors?
Old 10-27-13, 06:30 PM
audubon94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be a control unit located on the rear passenger side, under the car. maybe too the struts are weak and the car is sensing to much lean in a turn.
Old 10-27-13, 06:47 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by audubon94
It could be a control unit located on the rear passenger side, under the car. maybe too the struts are weak and the car is sensing to much lean in a turn.
What control unit are you talking about? It's not leaning too much though, I have coilovers.
Old 10-27-13, 07:16 PM
MasterKwan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm not aware of a control unit under the car either. I just took a GS completely apart too. You'd think I'd see it.
Old 10-28-13, 06:31 PM
audubon94
Driver School Candidate

I think Its called the load leveler. Its on my AWD 2002 RX300. When over weight things are on one side of the car, this unit senses this in balance.
Old 01-20-14, 04:32 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

I think I figured this out. I never got a chance to clean the speed sensors or check the tone ring. I just did a zero point calibration per this link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vsc-light.html

Just went try to trigger the slip indicator and couldn't do it. When I look back on my posts I see this started right around the time I installed my wood wheel. I think I must must have rotated the wheel a couple of teeth when I installed it and that was confusing the car's yaw sensor. Hopefully it stays off because I don't want to start messing with speed sensors or axles.

Edit: I had to calibrate using the diagnosis connector under the hood since my car didn't have the proper pins to use the OBDII connector under the dash.

Last edited by tiger4life; 01-20-14 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 11:55 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Well, the slip indicator is still coming on. I guess I need to pull the speed sensors. Anyone know how I can electrically resistance test these things?
Old 01-30-14, 06:09 PM
offbad
Lead Lap

use a voltmeter
Old 01-30-14, 06:16 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by offbad
use a voltmeter
Yes, that's what I as planning to do. I guess I should have been more clear. I needed the resistance values. I found some for the RX, I'm assuming they're the same?
Old 02-17-14, 05:31 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

So I removed all the wheel speed sensors and cleaned them (they weren't that dirty to begin with). All the tone rings looked fine as well (thank god). Let the ecu reset also. Drove it for 2 minutes and traction control kicked in. I need to check the resistance of the sensors. Anyone can tell me where the connections are so I get to them?

For the fronts, do I need to go from the bottom and remove the liner or can I go from the top? Hopefully the bumper doesn't need to come off.

For the rears, what, remove the trunk liner? Where are they?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-14, 01:22 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Since no one tried to help, I'll try to help the next man. You have to remove the rear seat to get the connectors for the rear sensors. Remove the bottom portion and slide the upper portion forward and you'll see the connectors. I found the resistance for these to be fine.

For the front if you remove the fog light you'll see the connector. As soon as it passes through the liner, the connector is there. Will test those tomorrow since I have to remove the wheels for the fronts.
Old 02-20-14, 01:19 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

For the front if you remove the passenger fog light you'll see that connector. As soon as it passes through liner, the connector is there. For the driver side, you can't reach it through the fog light hole because the windshield washer reservoir is in the way. I pulled the top and bottom liner apart where the plastic washers are but still had to remove the lower liner from the bumper to get to the connector.

Was ready to buy a sensor from Aliga. I double checked and found that my sensors are good. Next up is to see how much Toyota charges to zero point calibrate it. I also have a yaw rate sensor on the way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slip indicator light keeps coming on